N.Ireland

Dr D

cheers strangford. 81 pigeons and few crows. 32g 6. I always shoot. I know some others go lighter, but I dont like winging them.

Cheers DR D that what I use for them to would you be one for shooting bigger brand carts like eley or takeover or are you like me and shoot standard carts? And did you shoot any Scottish birds?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers DR D that what I use for them to would you be one for shooting bigger brand carts like eley or takeover or are you like me and shoot standard carts? And did you shoot any Scottish birds?

Just a mid range case. Today were hull, special pigeon. I would say they are mixed. Some local, some migrants recently in.

That's one hell of a bag DR D weldone :good: hoping to get out in the morning for a pop at pigeons been watching a field side Wednesday but there was nothing on it today so hopefully they'll show up in the morning, fingers crossed

Btw what was your final bag and what shells where you shooting? if you don't mind me asking.

ATB SW

How did u get on today? I took a morning flight. Picked up 19. The thought of plucking anymore, plus the 81 for yesterday made me stop

Absolutely nothing it was terrible only had one shot at a pigeon 70 yards up and only knocked the feathers out of him, wasn't happy, well at least you had some shooting a 100 in two day Weldone! Think I'll stick to ducks for a while pigeons take the #### out of me.

Cheers SW

Absolutely nothing it was terrible only had one shot at a pigeon 70 yards up and only knocked the feathers out of him, wasn't happy, well at least you had some shooting a 100 in two day Weldone! Think I'll stick to ducks for a while pigeons take the #### out of me.

Cheers SW

Could have been more, but like I said, I decided to stop. Remember strangford, you need to see them in the air to make it worthwhile. Birds on the ground without any movement in and out of the field are rarely worth the bother in my experience. That was maybe your problem. Stick at it more should turn up once the weather turns

Dr D. on the subject of Scottish birds in your area. i dont doubt that some may travel the few miles from the west coast of scotland but right now we have loads showing in flight early morning going and coming all day.I shot bags of 50 / 37 / 11 / all flighting and some dropping to the magnet n deeks.was with a friend on his permissions and on tues n wed past hundreds showing on stubbles and we both remarked no shortage of woodies in Ayrshire and in Scotland in general. So to my point if they are travelling to Norn Iron why are we seeing more here. Yes a few Scandinavia birds show here.we have an abundance of beech mast / acorns / barley and wheat stubbles here so why do they need to travel at all.I was born n bred in Coleraine Co Londonderry and shot all around including Bushmills, Ballymoney,Antrim and Magilligan lough Foyle Area and cant remember big influxs of birds.Ive lived in Scotland for 38 yrs shooting bags of 15 to 20 in the old days to my personal best of 339 with a big scattering of red letter days in between. I honestly think the change in farming methods has a lot to do with the bigger volumes of birds n maybe that is why you are seeing more birds in general.Obtw my biggest bag in N I was 16 all flighting birds. Anyway tight lines to all N I shooters n a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

There was a N I shooting forum a while back .Has it disappeared.

Edited by tignme

Dr D. on the subject of Scottish birds in your area. i dont doubt that some may travel the few miles from the west coast of scotland but right now we have loads showing in flight early morning going and coming all day.I shot bags of 50 / 37 / 11 / all flighting and some dropping to the magnet n deeks.was with a friend on his permissions and on tues n wed past hundreds showing on stubbles and we both remarked no shortage of woodies in Ayrshire and in Scotland in general. So to my point if they are travelling to Norn Iron why are we seeing more here. Yes a few Scandinavia birds show here.we have an abundance of beech mast / acorns / barley and wheat stubbles here so why do they need to travel at all.I was born n bred in Coleraine Co Londonderry and shot all around including Bushmills, Ballymoney,Antrim and Magilligan lough Foyle Area and cant remember big influxs of birds.Ive lived in Scotland for 38 yrs shooting bags of 15 to 20 in the old days to my personal best of 339 with a big scattering of red letter days in between. I honestly think the change in farming methods has a lot to do with the bigger volumes of birds n maybe that is why you are seeing more birds in general.Obtw my biggest bag in N I was 16 all flighting birds. Anyway tight lines to all N I shooters n a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.There was a N I shooting forum a while back .Has it disappeared.

They are local and scottish. I have watched them many a time crossing the sea and coming and hitting land on thecounty down coast.we call themscottish birds, but I would suspect there might be movement over from the borders. It not my theory itiswell known fact in this area thar birds arrive each year from scotland.

They are local and scottish. I have watched them many a time crossing the sea and coming and hitting land on thecounty down coast.we call themscottish birds, but I would suspect there might be movement over from the borders. It not my theory itiswell known fact in this area thar birds arrive each year from scotland.

I agree Dr D many a time birds crossing the Irish sea where recorded in my grandfather's gamebook and myself and my dad included watched a few hundred pigeons cross at Bangor, coming in a line of flight that would have to be from Scotland.

ollie/Dr D, see post in talk from the field by LG1 and in particular Fisherman mikes post. i totally agree with his findings.The birds you are seeing coming from Scotland are not scottish but are Scandiavian. Ive shot a few Scottish birds over the years and also Scandivian birds. they differ greatly in size n colour. There have not been much in the way of sightings of scandi birds yet but when they come i will let you all know.Of the decoyers i know here they all agree on this. at the moment we are seeing the normal amounts of woodies in all of our shoot areas. im out tommorrow so we shall see.

Edited by tignme

ollie/Dr D, see post in talk from the field by LG1 and in particular Fisherman mikes post. i totally agree with his findings.The birds you are seeing coming from Scotland are not scottish but are Scandiavian. Ive shot a few Scottish birds over the years and also Scandivian birds. they differ greatly in size n colour. There have not been much in the way of sightings of scandi birds yet but when they come i will let you all know.Of the decoyers i know here they all agree on this. at the moment we are seeing the normal amounts of woodies in all of our shoot areas. im out tommorrow so we shall see.

Yes that my be true we where just calling them scottish birds because we thought they came from scotland.

Out in the morning looking for those scandanvian birds. Not the blonde ones.

Stay.away.from them blondes i heard there bad news, good luck though, im hoping to get out myself hopfully get something. And hopefully i can get the shooting rights sorted for the new pond this week fingers crossed.

Found them. Took a while today, first field I put them off sown wheat. They didn't play ball so I packed up. Headed off in a dfferent direction. By this time it was past 11. By this time the wind was howling. I spotted a flight and decided to try spot number two. This was much more productive. Finished at 2.30 with 54 picked up.

post-2557-0-96527300-1385746476_thumb.jpg

Found them. Took a while today, first field I put them off sown wheat. They didn't play ball so I packed up. Headed off in a dfferent direction. By this time it was past 11. By this time the wind was howling. I spotted a flight and decided to try spot number two. This was much more productive. Finished at 2.30 with 54 picked up.

LEAVE SOME FOR ME!! Everybody is having luck except me, a well. Dr d well done once again you must have a nice amount of birds down your way

Well had a blast at pigeons today plenty of them about which was great to see, although they didnt decoy very well at all but still managed a few shots which i wasnt on the ball, was shooting over drilled winter wheat which previously had tunips and parsnip in it, i also managed a shot at a pheasant which again i missed, and found a pigeon decoy which i was surpried cause it was one of them FUD decs. Hopefully get something next time.

Cheers SW