N.Ireland

Dr D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half a dozen is not enough. So, put every bird you shoot in the pattern until you have them committing. Also, get movement in the pattern . If you dont have anything to do this, then spike birds on bamboo rods of something similar cut from the hedge. Take fishing line tie it to the rod and give it pull when the birds are passing. Movement in the pattern, not in the hide. Thats the key to success. Good luck

Headed out at 11 this morning. Got set up 24 shells and 2 flappers. Finished at 2.30. Picked up 64 and big fat hoody. Dont seem to beable to upload the photo the right way, any ideas?

With the lack of post about people making a bag this post comes a welcome read! Well done pal, 100% jealous :0)

With the lack of post about people making a bag this post comes a welcome read! Well done pal, 100% jealous :0)

Dont have anywhere near the same number of oaks as you do. Simple! Once the beech nuts hit the ground they started reappearing here. Hence, I have been getting decent bags since the 2nd week in November. I am sure the english birds will hit the rape eventually andthenit will be a bonanza. Strangford, you just need stick at it. Iam a good bit older than you, in the early days it aas the same for me. Learn the field craft and the bags will come.

Dont have anywhere near the same number of oaks as you do. Simple! Once the beech nuts hit the ground they started reappearing here. Hence, I have been getting decent bags since the 2nd week in November. I am sure the english birds will hit the rape eventually andthenit will be a bonanza. Strangford, you just need stick at it. Iam a good bit older than you, in the early days it aas the same for me. Learn the field craft and the bags will come.

Yeah your right Dr D im still learning all the tricks of the trade and my field craft is gradually getting better but is also helps if you have the equipment when it comes to decoying pigeons.

Atb SW

Yeah your right Dr D im still learning all the tricks of the trade and my field craft is gradually getting better but is also helps if you have the equipment when it comes to decoying pigeons.

Atb SW

Sure does, you need santa to deliver 12 shells with springy sticks and a flapper with a battery and charger. Edited by Dr D

Not long in. I had a great day. Didnt get out to 11. Set up and it started slow. But the howling gale kept them moving and the soon the bag was mounting. I finished about 2.30 and picked up 65. I will stick a photo up later. The birds were soaking, so I have them in the garage drying out. The wind was serious today. Im guessing the lough would have shot quite well? Still hard to beat the pigeons. I had a few doubles and lovely triple.

Edited by Dr D

Not long in. I had a great day. Didnt get out to 11. Set up and it started slow. But the howling gale kept them moving and the soon the bag was mounting. I finished about 2.30 and picked up 65. I will stick a photo up later. The birds were soaking, so I have them in the garage drying out. The wind was serious today. Im guessing the lough would have shot quite well? Still hard to beat the pigeons. I had a few doubles and lovely triple.

The lough would have been but i didnt dare risk it, well done though dr d. went for pigeons got two. Twas bucketing.

It was wet, my birds are soaking. However they did still fly. I guess they still need to feed. The wind was unreal. The birds I was shooting had to cross the entire field to get to the deeks. Sometimes they just gave up. When they did come in it took them ages, so they had loads of time to see if there was anything wrong with the pattern. One dead bird on its back and they spotted it and were off! This meant I was in an out of hide far more often than I would normally like. But it had to be done to keep them coming in. It was brill though.