N.Ireland

Dr D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a day I had yesterday out on a new permission that has a cracking wood on it, and I'll tell you this had the most pigeons on it that I ever seen, must have been about 300-400 pigeons and with the wind howling yesterday me and my dad had some cracking sport it was brilliant, I had nearly shot out of cartridges after half an hour I missed ever bird as I was shooting through trees most of the time while my dad shot out of cartridges for 10 birds losing 3 up the trees :oops:

It was good to actually get some shooting for once, especially because before the pigeons we had a disappointing walked up pheasants and woodcock we got neither so the pigeons were a welcome chance and my dog work pretty well :yes:

Did anyone else get out yesterday?

Glad to hear you had a good outing. Roost shooting pigeons is one of my favourite shooting disciplines. On my first roost shoot I was given a good piece of advice - don't count the empties!!

I had our last syndicate pheasant day yesterday - I only had one pheasant over me all day. Fortunately I got it. Then into the woods for a bit of roost shooting. Not much about but I did manage 5 before bailing out early. My hands were freezing!

Edited by Big Al

Glad to hear you had a good outing. Roost shooting pigeons is one of my favourite shooting disciplines. On my first roost shoot I was given a good piece of advice - don't count the empties!!

I had our last syndicate pheasant day yesterday - I only had one pheasant over me all day. Fortunately I got it. Then into the woods for a bit of roost shooting. Not much about but I did manage 5 before bailing out early. My hands were freezing!

it was pretty cold on Saturday night I thought

Edited by strangford wildfowler

I had got of a chilling earler on in the sleet and hail and I needed to get somewhere warm to thaw.

I'm not as hardy as I used to be!

Me and my dad got caught out in some of the real heavy showers to it wasn't pleasant, anyway went out last night again same place as Saturday I managed 2 pigeons and my da got 1pigeons, changed to a box of eley vip 36gr 5s they soon brought them falling out of the skies

Pigeons are hitting the rape hard down my way now.

I was out on Saturday and shot 40 odd in the first couple of hours in very windy conditions.

Ufortunately the spring for the thumb lever on the gun snapped and I had to call an early halt to the day.

Where are you based?

There is a field of rape next the wood I roost shoot in. U might decoy on it for a while on Sat before dropping back into the wood.

I'm down in Kildare.

I believe that's a good spot.

Anytime I'm near Dublin, Meath or Kildare (summer admittedly) I find it hard to keep my eyes on the road. I've seen clouds of them.

I know a few lads who head your way for pigeons once a week. Sometimes Kildare, sometimes Wicklow, sometimes as far as Arklow.

Keep us posted please. Up here in the north we have not got the same kind of numbers you have.

I believe that's a good spot.

Anytime I'm near Dublin, Meath or Kildare (summer admittedly) I find it hard to keep my eyes on the road. I've seen clouds of them.

I know a few lads who head your way for pigeons once a week. Sometimes Kildare, sometimes Wicklow, sometimes as far as Arklow.

Keep us posted please. Up here in the north we have not got the same kind of numbers you have.

Have birds up here too. But they not on rape, they are on spuds. I watched a field yesterday with birds moving in and out constant. There was I reckon 6 or 700 on the ground at any one time. I was going to shoot it this morning, but was struck down with cold/flu last night. Feel like **** today

Have birds up here too. But they not on rape, they are on spuds. I watched a field yesterday with birds moving in and out constant. There was I reckon 6 or 700 on the ground at any one time. I was going to shoot it this morning, but was struck down with cold/flu last night. Feel like **** today

I must have too many dairy men around me growing fields of grass!

Roost shooting this afternoon. It should be good in that wind.

Is that the rape field either side of the road? I noticed birds on those, thought that would be a good bet for you being on your doorstep.

Was this on the killyleagh - comber road, then hopefully yes that will be the best place, there has been a few birds knocking about there.

Nope. Last weeks flu has turned into an infection, im lying in bed still feeling like ****. Hopefully the anti biotics will kick in soon. Still birds on the spuds, busting to get at them.

Are you feeling any better Dr d?. It's the worst thing lying in bed all day with the flu :sick:

Just wondering if anyone is out and getting birds? I took a run around yesterday. Seen about 500 in total, a couple of hundred here and couple of hundred there. However, they were very tightly flocked up and so it wasnt even worth trying. It would be good to hear if someone is having success. I know they are probably on the rape in the south, but is anyone getting them locally?