N.Ireland

Dr D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick post just to see if any one has been shooting this week? I myself went up to hallow farm on Tuesday and to be honest it was fairly quiet there was a few lads on the pistol range se on DLT amd that wss about it I had a round of compak and I shot terribly missed 23 times out of 25 need some more practice I think but I also had a round on skeet which to my surprise I only dropped 4 clays out of 25

I must mention I shot the compak with my o/u which I think I may see about swapping cant ahoot it to save me life .

Quick post turned Into short story. SW

Oh dear, there is something not right if you are shooting like that! Havent been out. The birds are split up. If you want a shot at the minute your best bet is roost if you have access to a decent holding wood. Might try that tomorrow

The gun doesn't fit the best, I would say your right Dr d roost shooting is the best bet at the minute I may try tonight if it stays dry and if I get some cartridges

Well you best get it fitted then. No point spending money on new decoying gear if the business end isnt working for you.

Well I can shoot the semi auto far better and my da can shoot that o/u better than the semi so It should be alright anyway that all the shooting done for me unless I see thousands of pigeons as it the start of the fishing season on saturday but my dad going to go look at a .22 in the morning then in the afternoon it down the river for a couple of hours

Anyway the pigeons here are starting to build there nests I seen a about a dozen of them at it while I was out with the dog this afternoon zo Im going to leave them be until july augest time but I may go for the odd take the gun for a walk outing llus clays in the summer when im off

Sorry, cant help. I havent had a gun fitted for years. My o/u are a matching pair that I have had for over 20 years and I used the shims in the kit that came with my benelli to fit the gun myself. What about the boys in toome. I think a couple of them are qualified gunsmiths.

Sorry, cant help. I havent had a gun fitted for years. My o/u are a matching pair that I have had for over 20 years and I used the shims in the kit that came with my benelli to fit the gun myself. What about the boys in toome. I think a couple of them are qualified gunsmiths.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give the toome boys a miss. Have had bad experiences there.

Very few qualified gunsmiths here. Gordon at Hollow Farm is good but outside of him, I can't think of anyone. Those guys in the shops are selling guns that's all. Finding out if the gun fits is different........some of the guys can adjust the gun by raising or lowering the comb, if you have one,but don't ask them to bend a stock or anything that requires skill. If one guy were to emerge he would clean up.

Very few qualified gunsmiths here. Gordon at Hollow Farm is good but outside of him, I can't think of anyone. Those guys in the shops are selling guns that's all. Finding out if the gun fits is different........some of the guys can adjust the gun by raising or lowering the comb, if you have one,but don't ask them to bend a stock or anything that requires skill. If one guy were to emerge he would clean up.

It was something I was contemplating over as a career as I'm only 15 but then I realized there is no where in northern Ireland that was offering gunsmithing so I would have had to go over to the mainland and try and find someone to take me on as an apprentice when I left school, to be honest it was to much hassle so I decided against it and I'm now doing an electrical wiring course for two years at tech

Tell you what I wish hadn't put the gun away until next season seen a load of pigeons on a permission today and I called in with the landowner on the way home from my fishing trip which was pretty successful well the land owner ask me not to shot the wood the pigeons were going to, I made sure I was allowed to shoot the rest of his land he just asked me to give them a break at said wood

So I respected his views and I asked him why because I was quite curious to the reason and he told me that he was up at the wood during the week and he seen pigeon building nests and what have you so he wanted me to give them a break.

Will be fishing mostly myself from now on. But havent put the gun away. I will get calls to shoot birds off drillings over the next month. Need to do it or lose permissions. Surely it will be same for you strangford. Then there are young crows in may?

Nope. They have all gone until the drillings go in. Unless you have some rape, in which case it might be worth a blast. I might wet a line this afternoon though, if the wind dies down. Good luck at the crows.

Well Dr d I can now say I hate crows ever more because I set myself up on a well watched flightline and the ******* where either to high or to wide I only managed the one bird for 3 shot took all three to get em down