loose stool after exercise

ferguson_tom

Hi Everyone

Sorry about a poo question but it is beginning to drive me nuts.

My 20 month old springer spaniel has very loose stools while on a walk, if we go out she will have a normal poo first which is followed by her having small loose stools for the rest of the time we are out. Eventually she gets to the point where she is empty but still trys to do more. She is a very healthy and fit dog and when at home no loose stools and also when she gets home and calms down in her kennel she is fine.

To be honest this did not bother me too much as we normally walk in the woods and through fields and stuff but we were recently on holiday and it got very annoying and sometimes embarrassing as couldnt clean the mess up fully when out in towns and stuff.

Has anyone got any ideas, she has been on different foods burns, skinners and sometimes has Wagg but it seems to make no difference. She has done it since young and I know my collie can get loose as well after exercise so I am not worried about her health wise but would just like to stop it to make life easier on myself.

She gets feed in the morning before i go work and then i take them for a walk when i get home in the evening, they dont normally eat for a good hour or two after coming back from the walk.

Thanks in advance, Tom

Its got nothing to do with the exercise. I think your dog is having trouble with its food (some are sensitive to things like wheat) Try a duck and rise, lamb and rice mix for sensitive / intolerant dogs and under no circumstances switch feeds about as that in itself upsets many dogs. Go for a quality premium brand to begin with , failing that put it on plain boiled rice with real chicken or white fish (cooked) for a fortnight or so. No treats and no switching about. No joy then speak to the vet

My Lurcher gets fed once a day and walked morning and night, along with my gundogs.

He cleans himself on his morning and night walks.

Well now, if you take him any where new he gets excited thinking he is going to be worked and empties himself (which is embarrassing if you are at a country fair :blush: )

and will keep on emptying the whole time he is out.

So i think its excitement and the animal emptying its self so it is lighter for work.

Horses also do this.

Edited by Dave C

I am glad its not just mine that does it when she gets excited then. I will try her on the different food and change to feeding her once a day to the evenings. I do notice if she has Wagg there is generally a lot more **** from both her and my collie but normally only buy that as a last resort from Tesco.

Dont think feeding her too much as she is not overweight at all and if i cut it down she just loses weight very quickly.

Living in an area where picking up the poo is pretty mandatory I've found that the eyewateringly expensive "Royal Canin" food gives the smallest and most solid poos of any brand. Some of the flakey brands with loads of grain in it just produce mountains of loose stuff, which presumably means it's not being digested and used at all, so pointless giving it to them.

It is very rare for mine to do more than two ***** a day. One with in an hour of getting fed in the evening and maybe one first thing in the morning. They ate all fed once a day. If your dog is doing several you are feeding it too much.

Tend to agree with the too much food theory.

I have two springers at the moment and they both **** like that if they are hunting and have been fed even slightly too much. If it is happening on a town walk then I would look at diet though, or she is naturally skinny and you are feeding her too much to keep her at a weight which is perhaps heavier than she would naturally be?

Edited by WGD

Thanks for the suggestion everyone, I will try her out on one of the premium brands and see if it makes a difference. She is a very small and slim springer and closer to a cocker in size, on her last check up at the vet they said she was healthy but told me not to let her loose any weight which is what I have done.

If the premium food dont work i will just put it down to excitement and just have to live with it.

It is very rare for mine to do more than two ***** a day. One with in an hour of getting fed in the evening and maybe one first thing in the morning. They ate all fed once a day. If your dog is doing several you are feeding it too much.

Yes, but some foods contain more indigestible materials, this will also lead to more pooping. As waste product is what is being passed after digestion

My Springer was the same.

i think she had a intolerance to some ingredients in the food so i swapped it to wainwrights and she has been perfect since.

The only thing is wainwrights dog food is expensive.

Regards

Neil

Guest rimotu66

My Lab has always done this, I was told its because it hadn't been in him long enough?? Always feed him on Chudleys original , 1 beaker full in the morning and 1 beaker at night with 1/4 tin of dog meat (usualy tescos own brand with jelly) .