Airwolf fun

turbo33

I finished work early today, so popped down to one of the farms for a drive/walkabout. I took the FAC Airwolf as that's the one that is bringing home the pigeons at the moment.

P9010135_zps2eaf2168.jpg

The lads were drilling some rape and I could have had a fantastic shoot if seagulls were on the menu :lol:

I went for a wander through the woods and heard the cawing of a couple of crows. One pitched into the top of an oak pretty much 60 yards away. Whilst I had a bit of an advantage with the canopy, I also had confidence that the Airwolf would take it out easily at that distance :yes: Freehand shot, click on the electronic trigger and the Bis Mag slammed into it, dropping it stone dead :good: It seemed an age falling through the trees to the floor below. I took a stroll up through the higher side of this wood as there's a belt of trees next to a field of stubble. I felt sure there would be a pigeon or two up in the trees. Sure enough a stealthy approach gave another opportunity and the first pigeon was in the bag :good:

Having had the required amount of exercise :lol: I drove round the stubble and added another 5 pigeons to the bag. The end result.

2013-09-10171921_zps85b5a682.jpg

There's a super little pub 100yards from the farm and as it was 5.30, I thought......,,,,it just has to be done :lol:

2013-09-10173952_zps4dbe0d89.jpg

Life is what you make it :yes::good:

Edited by turbo33

Good write up fella and some decent shooting too. Putting in for my FAC Air variation ASAP and will be getting an Air Ranger myself.

DD

Thanks DD. The Bis mags leave this thing like exocet missiles :lol: Are you going for the 40ft/lbs version?

Hope they get onto your variation faster than last time!!

Edited by turbo33

Thanks DD. The Bis mags leave this thing like exocet missiles :lol: Are you going for the 40ft/lbs version?

Hope they get onto your variation faster than last time!!

I've just bought my first Daystate an Huntsman Regal just the other week and its a great rifle in .177 flavour. I've been using JSB Exacts Diabolo at the mo, but have got a tin of Bisley Mags to test out through her in due course. As for the Air Ranger then

it will be the 40ft lb version I expect mate, just to get my reach out a little bit further. They have had a big shake up with Gwent Police over the last couple of months and a new Chief Constable has been put in place. A couple of friends have put in for and had the variations back between 8 days and 4 weeks. So there's light at the end of the tunnel, i may get mine back a full 5 months quicker then last time lol.

If I knuckle down between now an Christmas I may be able to get my new Ranger for my Christmas present. But with Festive time coming up i'll be needing money for presents and stuff. So it will be more like early new year in realistic terms before I actually get it.

Anyway mate happy hunting with your AirWolf

DD

Edited by deputy dog

That's stunning. What's the weight all in?

I haven't put it on the scales, but the Daystate spec is rifle un scoped 3.63 kgs and the Viper on it is 665 grms. So I guess a little over 9lbs. Its a big rifle and therefore the weight goes with it. But its incredibly well balanced and steady. Around 60 shots per fill on the high setting, 36ftlbs with bis mags and I guess a hundred or more on the lower 27ftlbs setting. Although I generally stick to the high power as its simply awesome :lol:

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but do you do any barn shooting? Every farmer I've approached has jumped at me clearing out their pigeons, I use an old Webley Exocet and have a wonderful time. Even in a small barn you can usually clear out 15 pigeons in 10 minutes. The larger barns that have been un-shot provide amazing sport. I cant imagine the fun you'd have with the set up you've got there.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but do you do any barn shooting? Every farmer I've approached has jumped at me clearing out their pigeons, I use an old Webley Exocet and have a wonderful time. Even in a small barn you can usually clear out 15 pigeons in 10 minutes. The larger barns that have been un-shot provide amazing sport. I cant imagine the fun you'd have with the set up you've got there.

No barns left down here in the snotty south, all converted to rather nice "hizes" with the obligatory porche cayenne in his and hers matching black metallic :lol::lol:

Seriously, barns are a great place to deal with ferals and rats, but round here its all so clinically tidy now there are few opportunities. Pretty much all the grain storage is behind roller shutter doors and diary/beef units are a bit few and far between. Ooop north, you are way more rural which is a constant source of jealousy :lol::lol::good:

Nice shooting there.

Another proud Daystate FAC owner here also, Am running .22 16grn JSB`s at 29 ftlb (keeping pellets under 920fps for stability and accuaraccy).

FAc air is a very nice tool isnt it. :good:

Mine also has a lower setting of 27 ft/lbs. I've tried the 16 grn Jsb's , Air Arms 16 grn and aslo the Jsb 18grn. The Bisley magnum 21 grn are still the most accurate on the lower and especially so on the high setting, 36.5 ft/lbs, by a long way. Grouping was improvable with the former pellets, but the Bis mags will one hole out to 50 yds :yes::good:

Daystates, luv 'em :good:

Edited by turbo33

No barns left down here in the snotty south, all converted to rather nice "hizes" with the obligatory porche cayenne in his and hers matching black metallic :lol::lol:

Seriously, barns are a great place to deal with ferals and rats, but round here its all so clinically tidy now there are few opportunities. Pretty much all the grain storage is behind roller shutter doors and diary/beef units are a bit few and far between. Ooop north, you are way more rural which is a constant source of jealousy :lol::lol::good:

I genuinely had no clue that being a northerner had its benefits. Other than the accent of course ;)