Decoying over acorns

VINCED 686

Hi all.

I've got two massive oak trees growing along a brook on one of my perms. I was wondering when the pigeons start to feed on them. Do they wait till they have dropped or do they pick them out of the shells while they are still on the tree.

The trees look absolutely full of them and the area is also a roost for a lot of birds. I haven't shoot in the area for ages as the rape failed early in the year and the farmer just burnt it off and turned the soil over

would this be a situation where I should use lofted decoys ?

Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.

i usually start shooting the margines under the oaks round november, then there is less food about and the acorns have had time to soften, just keep an eye out for when the birds start to use the feild edges, it varies from area to area, i like to wait until the edge has been drilled on the early drillings as the acorns dont get buried.

As pigeoncontroller says ...dont set the decoys up too close to the trees........

the birds will fatten up on the acorns, getting ready for the cold weather

• 4 weeks later...

Just been for a wonder out this morning .no birds are touching the acorns as yet. .i shot a few passing and they were full of corn and elderberrys this will continue right up till November from my past experience .but this year is a bumper harvest for acorns it usually happens every four years and the last time the birds stayed on acorns right till January .it was dreadfull shooting on rape.

Shot 17 yesterday.set up between 3 oak trees at 3pm.10 had some acorns in them 6 were pretty full but 1 was stuffed with beech mast.prob 40 or more nuts in it's crop.hundreds of birds here now feeding on and under the oaks,you can see them picking them off the branches.only gathering up now but looks good for next few weeks.