'Are you mental'...not a rant

OddJob

Dear all

I'm jumping out of a plane, despite being utterly terrified of heights. You might think I am therefore 'mad' or a bit 'mental' but I am doing it to raise awareness of mental health and to raise money for Mind, the UK's leading health charity. Mental health affects 1 in 4 people yet it's shrouded in a stigma that makes people not talk about it.

If you want to know more about it, please go to www.justgiving.com/nealwilcox. If you wanted to drop in a few quid that would be amazing.

Alternatively you can text 'TOOL69 £amount' to 70070 to donate really easily. (If you get an error trying to send over £10, I think a tenner is the limit per text so please send multiples of £10 IF this is the case, thank you)

Thank you for your time, reading ability and support.

Fair play to you, no one on here would admit to mental health issues for obvious reasons. Mental illness is all around us every day, doctors get it, plumbers and accountants get it. It's only the headline stuff you read about, like gary speed. I think it happens because humans were meant to live a more basic life, and striving and worry brings it on. Good luck .

Fair play to you, no one on here would admit to mental health issues for obvious reasons. Mental illness is all around us every day, doctors get it, plumbers and accountants get it. It's only the headline stuff you read about, like gary speed. I think it happens because humans were meant to live a more basic life, and striving and worry brings it on. Good luck .

I think i have mentioned on numerous occassions that i have had PTSD, http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health_a-z/8026_post-traumatic_stress_disorder

Mental health is nothing to be ashamed about,and well done to the OP for jumping out of a plane, i may be mad,but i'm not that mad :lol::lol::good:

Well done mate, I bet the first thing you'll want to do when you land will be to get repacked and do it again. I hope you enjoy.

I've suffered PTSD but it wasn't recognised back in my day.

My wife has used the services of MIND both as a client and as a volunteer. I don't think that there's any such thing as normal. Even the most 'together' people have some pretty wierd ideas.

It's a fantastic rush, good luck.

Are you doing a solo or tandem?

+1

I think i have mentioned on numerous occassions that i have had PTSD, http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health_a-z/8026_post-traumatic_stress_disorder

Mental health is nothing to be ashamed about,and well done to the OP for jumping out of a plane, i may be mad,but i'm not that mad :lol::lol::good:

you misunderstood me, or I dident explain very well, I was meaning people wouldn't admit 'on here' as there woud be implicaions regarding certificates. I know quite a few people who have suffered, and trust me, I am certainly not ashamed of them, I just feel compassionate towards them, :good:

I still don't see what you are getting at, i have a SGC and FAC and have "admitted" on here that i have had PTSD, so have numerous others in the past.And this is the problem with the elephant in the room that is mental health and firearms,the more it is spoken about and understood then the more people will understand,if you are having mental problems it is best to seek help not hide it so the problem may get worse.

o.k, I will clarify even more. What I mean is, mental health issues cover the dreaded d word, meaning depression. Depression being the thing that stops you having a gun, so the point I am making is, there could be people who have had depression on here, who have got over it naturally, and would certainly not publicly say that they have suffered.. Are you with me now?

o.k, I will clarify even more. What I mean is, mental health issues cover the dreaded d word, meaning depression. Depression being the thing that stops you having a gun, so the point I am making is, there could be people who have had depression on here, who have got over it naturally, and would certainly not publicly say that they have suffered.. Are you with me now?

You were a bit slow,see my edited post above yours :good:

You should have just said depression from the start :yes:

• 1 month later...

Just to say lads, I'm jumping out of this sodding aeroplane on Saturday. It's all booked, the weather looks reasonable (sadly) and so I'm going to act like a dead pigeon and drop from the sky.

If you fancy donating to Mind you can do it through www.justgiving.com/nealwilcox or more simply text 'TOOL69 £amount' to 70070 (max is a tenner).

Thank you, see you on the other side. I might have a strange twitch at the flush....

4 more donation days to go...

If PW members come together for £100 (10x£10, 5x£20 whatever) I'll put £100 in.

Doing it this way to encourage others to support OddJob - let's get PW to raise him over his target?

Bloody hell, thank you Jon, that's massively kind! I'm genuinely touched. (mostly by Mungler, but the court order is coming through).

Well done Neil.I will donate £100 to your cause.(is it ok to give it to you at the Norfolk flush)

My true feelings here would hit the swear filter. Mate! Wow. Thank you. That would be super bud if the site is more hassle than its worth. It's totally up to you. Thanks Alan!!

• 4 weeks later...

How can it feel like you are hovering when everything is getting larger as you plummet towards the earth at terminal velocity?

I know how it sounds but it's hard to perceive anything getting closer from the height I jumped to the height where the chute was pulled.

That's how I remember it anyway, certainly for the first few thousand feet there's no ground rush as nothing appears to get any closer.

Edit: Well done on the jump!

Edited by Muddy Funker