Best duck decoys

rapid basher

Must be in context, daylight shooting detail can matter! Once the Sun sets painting your deeks all flat black and oversize might be far preferential to little bunch of cammo brown teal tucked in the margins, that worked so well in the light.

Brand means diddly squat, sometimes a home made silhouette can out perform a full body (due to higher reflectiveness over shallow water) Ducks are no respecter of how much your deeks cost and mixed brands means more mixed posture

A lot of the guys who shoot down at frampton like the green head gear decoys, i myself have some of the pro grade teal ones they make and they are excellent and very well made, i also use some flambeau mallard decoys. would i say that the GHG decoys are better than the flambeau? Not really, maybe in good light but i rarely find the shooting good at that time and have gone home by then. They are however good for filling out the patter as the different shapes add some character to the set up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few different makes of duck decoys and I would say that on a nice day when the ducks have time to look around and size things up the ghg decoys work best. They have higher detail and are a lot more relaxed looking compared to the cheaper makes. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=221281296514

I have used GHG mallard decoys and find them very good. After many years use they still do not need repainting.Just two slight niggles with them, the neck is sunken into the body making it difficult to wind the last bit of line around the neck without it slipping off. They are also a little smaller than I would like.

I also have a number of Stormfront mallard Flambeau decoys. Like ther GHG they are very good and sit well on the water , but after one seasons use they have lost quite a bit of paint.

For years I have used sportplast mallard decoys. like the others they work well , but their paint needs an anunal tough up.

I have got a lot of plywood and plastic sillouhettes , but I have found they are noway near as efective as full bodies decoys , but worth a try on mudflats and stubbles.

Finaly I have a number of cheap £1 mallard decoys from pound streacher. Good for bulking out your pattern but most need repainting before you use them , they are far too small for mallard, the eye ring is prone to snap off in cold weather and the back seam will split if stuffed into a game bag.

Edited by anser2

• 4 years later...
17 minutes ago, davidf said:

You can't go wrong with a pack of Mojo duck decoys in my experience, though there's plenty of other reasonably good priced ones around - https://catchthemeasy.com/best-duck-decoy-reviews/

Time move on davidf , the last post was nearly four and a half years ago , since then there have been a lot of very good decoys on the market , I was looking at some Widgeon from Tidepool at the last game fair I went to and they were brilliant , slightly bigger than the real thing and the detail is superb , I believe they were imported from the states .

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

Time move on davidf , the last post was nearly four and a half years ago , since then there have been a lot of very good decoys on the market , I was looking at some Widgeon from Tidepool at the last game fair I went to and they were brilliant , slightly bigger than the real thing and the detail is superb , I believe they were imported from the states .

There are others out there that are better than those Flambeau ones that Tidepool do/did, John.

http://www.lucky-hunter.com/product/avian-x-widgeon-european/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avery-GHG-Pro-Grade-Wigeon-1-Rester-1-High-Head-Duck-Decoys-2-Pack-New/222715344312?hash=item33dade75b8:g:ByYAAOSw0wRaBzON

10 minutes ago, Penelope said:

They looked more realistic P than the dead ones I had hanging up in my shed,  mind you , the lucky - hunter ones would knock a to bigger hole in my pension at that price :lol:

I liked the one from Tidepool as they were nearer to the size of Mallard and would then stand out a bit more   , and I don't like to admit it , but the boys from the states have got there decoying wildfowl down to a fine art and tend to be better at it than we are  .