Dog hair..... a strange question but bear with me !

VINCED 686

The Missus has finally come round to getting a dog. The thing is she has said it cant be kept in a kennel ??? as it cruel !! So for the interests of a happy balanced household the dog will live in the house with us. The wife and kids want a Springer Spaniel, I want a lab. Bearing in mind the wife keeps the house like a show home :/ nice but I'm talking a little OCD

My questions are

Is it true short haired dogs malt more than long haired ?

Which of the two are the easier to train

Are either one of the breeds better suited to being a working dog / pet.......

and finally are there any pros or cons to either breeds ???

Any advice would be really helpful

( I should mention that I will be taking the dog with me to work most of the time)

Thanks

What ever the dog you are going to have a house full of hair .

Labs smell , spaniels smell worse !

Labs perhaps easier to train than a spaniel , though no one has told my Lab pup that as he is proving "challenging"

if you want a dog and a clean house you have 2 choices , keep it outside (its not cruel) or dont get one simples.

Simply it can be done, mine stays in the kitchen diner and on a tiled floor it gets hoovered regularly and the vax comes out occasionally which means it doesn't smell. Dog choice wise both will do for most forms of shooting but odds are the lab will be easier to train.

Just buy her a Dyson Animal then get a Lab & a Springer. :good:

DaveL

Labs perhaps easier to train than a spaniel , though no one has told my Lab pup that as he is proving "challenging"

if you want a dog and a clean house you have 2 choices , keep it outside (its not cruel) or dont get one simples.

Thanks fenboy. I think its time for the trampoline to be replaced with a kennel :good:

+1

Helpful !!!!!!

Thanks, and realistic i thought too. I have seen it many times when a dog is introduced into a household under duress. First the Mrs resents the time the guy spends training the dog so the guy spends less time training. Then she kicks off about the dog hairs and smell. Then she has a go about dog being around when guests arrive. Then she goes ballistic when the dog arrives homes wet through and filthy from shooting. But the dog is still not trained so cannot be left at home, the wife now hates the dog, and the guy finds it a pain in the **** on shoot days because it ain't trained. Then the advert goes on here " for sale due to no fault of its own 18 month old dog ready for training".

Go for a lab (but im biased) just be ready for hoovering everyday if not twice a day. get washable paint(im currently on dulux endurance) on the walls for when they come in and shake, get used to a wet foot when you walk in the kitchen from the drinking bowl dribble. and just accept that your house will be a home now and not a show house. but if you spend time training your dog it will be the best companion you have ever had. :)

Thanks, and realistic i thought too. I have seen it many times when a dog is introduced into a household under duress. First the Mrs resents the time the guy spends training the dog so the guy spends less time training. Then she kicks off about the dog hairs and smell. Then she has a go about dog being around when guests arrive. Then she goes ballistic when the dog arrives homes wet through and filthy from shooting. But the dog is still not trained so cannot be left at home, the wife now hates the dog, and the guy finds it a pain in the **** on shoot days because it ain't trained. Then the advert goes on here " for sale due to no fault of its own 18 month old dog ready for training".

You are not wrong there Cocker Boy,nearly got a divorce over a dog

You are not wrong there Cocker Boy,nearly got a divorce over a dog

That's why i posted the reply mate, i have seen it many times. If someone asks a question on here, and you give them a answer the don't want,they get the face on. The puppy strokers usually have the answer they want to hear that goes something like " i trained benji to do 500 yard blind retrieves by letting him sleep between me and the wife and tickling his belly for 9 minutes every morning". Edited by cocker boy

Get a kennel simple as. Kennel insulated and a heater for winter. The dog will love it it gives you a break and when the dog comes in muddy it wont have to come in the house until dry and clean. Honestly wouldn't have it any other way now. Don't get me wrong the dog comes in as soon as I finish work until bed but in the day I know shes safe, not destroying anything and its a place if I have guests etc round she can go up the kennel if they don't like dogs. Makes life simple.

oh and get a lab.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply's Guys. (been off line a while)

I take it back cocker boy . I totally get what your saying and all the things you mentioned have been discussed at home. That's what I meant when I said the missus has finally come round.. we wouldn't have a dog in the house unless everyone was happy about it.

again thanks for all the input. Its been really helpful

The Missus has finally come round to getting a dog. The thing is she has said it cant be kept in a kennel ??? as it cruel !! So for the interests of a happy balanced household the dog will live in the house with us. The wife and kids want a Springer Spaniel, I want a lab. Bearing in mind the wife keeps the house like a show home :/ nice but I'm talking a little OCD

My questions are

Is it true short haired dogs malt more than long haired ?

Which of the two are the easier to train

Are either one of the breeds better suited to being a working dog / pet.......

and finally are there any pros or cons to either breeds ???

Any advice would be really helpful

( I should mention that I will be taking the dog with me to work most of the time)

Thanks

Oh man, your in deep between the devil and a hot place i should say. Kennelling aint cruel but its the only way she will stay Ok with this dog