starlight32

This could be an interesting one.

What choke sizing is the one for you?

Mine are ;

DECOYING- 1/4"

ROOST SHOOTING-FULL

GAME-FULL

WILDFOWLING- 1/2" (STEEL AND BISMUTH)

Any of you out there shoot OPEN when decoying?:good:?:good:???

To broadly answer your question, I use chokes relevant to the range I'm shooting game at, in order to ensure a filled pattern and clean kill, obviously tightening as ranges increase.

If you mean true cylinder by "OPEN" then yes, I use it at about 25yds to great effect.

Well,thats to say pigeons don't like it...

and welcome.... :D

A question.

How can anyone say what the choking is on his or her gun? As I am given to understand the choking measurements, there is no given diameter for ¼, ½, ¾ or full chokes as it all depends on the diameter of the barrel in the first place. With such wide tolerances on barrel diameters, what would be a full choke on one gun may well be a ¾ on another.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Tiercel

Personally, I have a big problem with choke i.e I can't be bothered to change them, but here goes:

Fabarm Semi-Auto - skeet for everything, clays & live, I think the choke is probably seized in by now, :good:

Denton & Kennell sbs - tight & ******* tighter, no idea what they are, but hard work on skeet.

Ugarcheta sbs - as above,

My recollection is that ideally all game guns used to be choked Imp Cylinder and a quarter, only with the advant of O/U clay guns did multchokes become the norm.

With the continued improvement in modern cartridge design, patterns are probably a lot tighter & more consistent than they were 20yrs ago, so why do we need more choke? or is it that we believe we'll hit more birds with more choke? psychological factors playing a part here.

A question.

How can anyone say what the choking is on his or her gun? As I am given to understand the choking measurements, there is no given diameter for ¼, ½, ¾ or full chokes as it all depends on the diameter of the barrel in the first place. With such wide tolerances on barrel diameters, what would be a full choke on one gun may well be a ¾ on another.

Tiercel

A good link that gives detail about choke and barrel sizing...

http://www.kwacs.org.uk/barrels&choke.htm

A question.

Tiercel

True but much prefer this link

Quote from the link.

Today, inside barrel diameters are less consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer, ranging from about .722 inches to more than .745 inches. Take a .740 bore shotgun, for example. Insert a full choke and the muzzle diameter changes to .705 inches. Now imagine an improved modified choke (.025 constriction) in the traditional .729 bore. That would give you a muzzle diameter of .704 inches. And in a shotgun with a bore of .722, a modified choke (.020 constriction) would result in a muzzle diameter of .702 inches. All other variables being equal, in all three examples the downrange patterns would be nearly identical, despite the fact that three different chokes were employed.

Tiercel

Fair point :good:

I have patterned my gun with my chokes to see what its doing at the ranges I shoot and with the carts I use, and am happy with that. I should have stated the gun I was on about :good:

PIN,

That is what you need to do with every gun as each one is different. That was my point. :D

A question.

Tiercel

True but much prefer this link

Quote from the link.

Today, inside barrel diameters are less consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer, ranging from about .722 inches to more than .745 inches. Take a .740 bore shotgun, for example. Insert a full choke and the muzzle diameter changes to .705 inches. Now imagine an improved modified choke (.025 constriction) in the traditional .729 bore. That would give you a muzzle diameter of .704 inches. And in a shotgun with a bore of .722, a modified choke (.020 constriction) would result in a muzzle diameter of .702 inches. All other variables being equal, in all three examples the downrange patterns would be nearly identical, despite the fact that three different chokes were employed.

Tiercel

That makes for interesting comparisons Tiercel, you'd have to say that if standards vary that much between manufacturers, it's down to the old addage, of what works best for the individual, using basic recommendation as a start point and than adjusting ckokes to suit your own gun?

You'd have thought the engineering standards surrounding barrel tube and choke dimensions to fall into a fairly tight spectrum, just shows, nowt's sacred anymore. :good:

Clay shooting - Depends how I feel as to which gun I use, but I have used all of them to good effect and then again all of them to bad effect. :blush::P:P

Decoying out to 30yds, Skeet and Skeet with my Miroku 26" barrelled O/U Skeet Gun

Game shooting on my syndicate shoot with my Sabbatti Gardone O/UCylinder and Improved Cylinder

Wildfowling with my Browning Gold Hunter S/A As open as possible due to using steel shot and 3.5" Magnum Cartridges

SS :good:

• 2 weeks later...

RJ,

Good to see you back on the forum after a long layoff, there aren't many oldtimers like us left who are able to provide such pearls of wisdom as your post above..!!

Like me, you clearly believe in quality, not quantity.

P.S. - Did you get time off for good behaviour..?? :good:

Cat.