Advice please

adam_h

Hello,

New to Pigeon watch and moved to St Neots in South Cambridgeshire four years ago. I used to target shoot .22lr back at school (quite a while ago).

Having gone out with some mates who hold FACs a few times I want to get into vermin shooting and would like to get a .22lr or .17hmr.

I need the land permission for the fac which I haven't yet got. It seems a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Most want to see an fac and insurance before they give permission but to get the fac I need the permission....

How have you managed to get the permission sorted for the application or am I better off getting an air rifle and getting permissions and then asking them if I can use them for an fac?

Apologies for the probably boring and age old questions. I have trawled the permissions bit but it didn't cover getting the permission for the licence.

I would want to have a decent relationship with a farmer before asking about FAC permission .

The route I would take is to apply for a SGC, take up clay shooting and start looking for permission on farms to shoot vermin with the shotgun , once you have a good relationship with the farmer then broach the subject of FAC.

Hello Adam.

The advice from fenboy is good. Shotgun shooting is not that expensive, you could pick up a second hand weapon and a few boxes of cartridges to start with, walk some hedgerows, shoot some rabbits or roosting birds?

Many farmers will grant permission to thin out the crows or something but proving that you are responsible and honest will be important to anyone giving permission for someone to go onto their land with a firearm. Call at the farms, dress reasonably, be polite and to the point, show some entusiasm for actually helping out.

Once yu ahve established a few relationships and gained a little experinece getting permission for an FAC weapon should become straight forward. In my experience, taking things one step at a time would be wise.

Another option of course would be getting a high powred spring air rifle? Cheap as chips to own and fire, but deadly in a farmyard against rats, feral pigeons and so on? You could even get the odd woody, or rabbit...come to think of thats how I got my first permission!

Cheers folks for the warm welcome and advice. I had a massive stroke of luck today. Visited a farmer whose land my colleague used to shoot on. He's given me permission and doesn't mind the call from the FEO!! Whoohoo....just need the written permission and sort out the bits and pieces and I'm one step nearer starting a brilliant past time :-)

Thats a good start then , I would still apply for a SGC it will be a good idea to apply for both together .

You will be able to help the farmer more with both and get more sport too and as in my earlier post it will help you get more permission , it can be as cheap as you want to make it , you can get a tidy side by side shotgun for £100 or less

Cheers folks for the warm welcome and advice. I had a massive stroke of luck today. Visited a farmer whose land my colleague used to shoot on. He's given me permission and doesn't mind the call from the FEO!! Whoohoo....just need the written permission and sort out the bits and pieces and I'm one step nearer starting a brilliant past time :-)

Dunno how I managed to post twice. Damn sausage thumbs! That's really helpful, thank you. I'll need to be careful re the shotgun on his land as he had stables so a lot of the fields have horses in. I'll keep a eye out for the shotguns...any advice re what type, make etc

I would want to have a decent relationship with a farmer before asking about FAC permission .

The route I would take is to apply for a SGC, take up clay shooting and start looking for permission on farms to shoot vermin with the shotgun , once you have a good relationship with the farmer then broach the subject of FAC.

I had 18 months getting a good relation then ,dropped it in about Fac one day and the rest is history

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...