Advice pls sloes

willks84

The time to pick them is before someone else doe's but,after a frost or two.

My prefered use for the berries is to use sherry rather than gin as its yummy and cheaper.

We used the cheapest we could find at the time and used sugar ratio and method the same as for gin.

Its worth making a seperate bottle with sherry just to try.

Good luck.

Bryan.

The time to pick them is before someone else doe's but,after a frost or two.

My prefered use for the berries is to use sherry rather than gin as its yummy and cheaper.

We used the cheapest we could find at the time and used sugar ratio and method the same as for gin.

Its worth making a seperate bottle with sherry just to try.

Good luck.

Bryan.

Never heard that one cheers will give it a go

• 3 weeks later...

I might try that too!

The first time I made sloe gin, I only had about 2/3 of a bottle of gin to use so I altered the quantities to suit and it came out lovely; quite sweet and obviously warming - more like an alcopop, I could happily have downed the lot in one sitting!

However, I've made a batch each year since (3 or 4) and it's been so bitter every time that it's ended up going down the sink! Do they sweeten up a bit after the first frosts then?

I'd guess sherry, being quite sweet to start with, might solve the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

The better the sloe the better the end product I think,this year has to be the best year I have ever seen for them.

Freeze them for at least three days take them out put them a couple a time on a chopping board and bash them with a small heavy saucepan,we are not talking spllatting them just enough to break them open,pop in a bottle ( I use a washed out coke bottle they are tough as hell) add sugar and shake till dissolved,the more sugar you put in the more it will draw the fruit,it's a fine line with me because I don't like it too sweet.

Having said all that in my humble opinion damsen gin made in the same way is far superior, or mix the two