Need advice on a new cordless drill

njc110381

I know we've got a few builders, fitters ect on the site so wanted to run a new drill purchase past you.

I'm looking to buy a new cordless combi drill. Budget not too much of an issue, I want a good one, but I don't want to spend over the odds. I got an email the other day about an offer that's on at Toolstop. A DeWalt 18v li-ion with 2x 4ah batteries for £250... http://www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-dcz785m2x-18v-xr-li-ion-2-speed-combi-drill-2-x-4ah-batteries-with-free-p66885

Looks like a reasonable deal, would you agree? Anything else for around the same money that I should be considering? Most of my work is fencing and decking, so driving 2-3" screws and the odd 6" timberlock.

Currently I've got an 18V Makita NiMh but the batteries are shot. It's time for a new one I think because a new pair of batteries cost a fair bit for decent ones.

Edit... The other option is that as the drill is fine I could buy three of these.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-0Ah-Battery-Makita-193102-0-193061-8/dp/B003YV51CY

At £40 each it would end up at half the price and the reviews seem to suggest that they are ok. Added bonus is that the chap I work with runs the same drill and we currently share batteries and chargers. Having a new Dewalt would mean we could no longer do that.

Edited by njc110381

Need advice on a new cordless drill.

Like where to plug it in perhaps? :lol: :lol:

I just spent a while trawling through web pages and that seems like a good price. Some are as high as £350. The De-Walt gear seems well built, I have been using one for 7 years now and it is still going as strong now as ever! I would definately have another when this one goes!

I have the dewalt stuff (li-ion) to replace the Ni-cad,i like it a lot.Do you really need the 4Ah?its extra weight every time you pick it up,i have seven 3ah batts and they drill,screw,cut and grind everything I do day in day out,It might not have the kudos of Makita but you wont be disappointed.

Never heard of them?! Oops!... Edit - 'Ow much?!!!! :o

The higher amp battery is mainly down to the off grid sites we sometimes work on. Run time without a charge is more important than weight. Customers go out and leave us without power and going flat half way through the job is a problem sometimes.

Edited by njc110381

Never heard of them?! Oops!... Edit - 'Ow much?!!!! :o

The higher amp battery is mainly down to the off grid sites we sometimes work on. Run time without a charge is more important than weight. Customers go out and leave us without power and going flat half way through the job is a problem sometimes.

Festo will give amazing life and power out of lightweight units. They do cost loads but you really do get what you pay for .

I've Dewalts, Makitas and Bosch pros .... they are OK and will work for most people but cannot compare to Festo

If I was a real man, I've have more festo but cannot justify it now.....

We Have used Panasonics (3.5 to 4.0 AH,very torquey,real wrist twisters) for the past 9 years and they're just starting to wear out now....clutches going.They have had years of very hard use on site and in the unit,have been dropped off scaffolds and all manner of abuse.Can't fault them.

Most of the lads have now changed to Makitas of varying descriptions and power and they make some superb little hammer versions now which drive timberlocks in like anything.Have no idea of their longevity however.

i have one of these that i bought 18 months ago when i bought my house.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills/hammer_drills/JCB-20V-Lithium-Combi-Drill-12157537

dont be put off by the fact it has jcb stamped all over it, the internals are panasonic i believe...

ive never had one issue with it, other than the length it takes for a battery to charge, but then again, they last for ages...

ive completely refurbished my house and literally drilled thousands of holes and screwed thousands of screws with it and never had one problem.

an amazing bit of kit for the price!

Hi Neil, you don't need a combi drill, you need an impact driver. i've just picked up a pair of panasonic dual voltage drill driver/impact driver combo pack with 18v 4.2ah batteries for £288 inc. i have a vgc 12v panasonic impact driver going spare now with 3x 3.3ah bats, 2 of the batteries are nearly new. This is one of the best drills i've ever owned.

If you can run to it.... Festo are amongst the very best

See if Axminster Power tool centre have any offer on...

festool! very nice but too expensive for site work, every tealeaf on site will have their eye on it. i've had a few of the festool range, most of it has been knicked, all i have left is the jigsaw which i don't use much as i also have an old cordless unit.

I've used Makitas for over ten years. Been using my Bhp451 18v combi drill for seven years bought it when the first came out with three three amp hour batteries. Never been out of battery in a day yet.

For driving screws I've just bought a makita impact driver tool only to go with my kit as i have three batteries and charger,never used the drill for screws since getting it.

Figgy

Festool , up there with the best . but im going for the milwalkee impact driver and hammer drill combo for around £300. Dewalt imo have gone down hill in build quality . All these ones on b n q for £100 are **** quality dewalt and makita aimed at diy but to look the part. you can tell if there good if they have a metal chuck

Hi Neil, you don't need a combi drill, you need an impact driver. i've just picked up a pair of panasonic dual voltage drill driver/impact driver combo pack with 18v 4.2ah batteries for £288 inc. i have a vgc 12v panasonic impact driver going spare now with 3x 3.3ah bats, 2 of the batteries are nearly new. This is one of the best drills i've ever owned.

Where did you get the kit from fella? I still have to drill holes for coach bolts etc so having both would be ideal.

Decent reduction of dewalt atm i have 2 bosch on van and they take some proper abuse :whistling: if you driving in three inch screws consider an impact driver too

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd735m2-gb-14-4v-4ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-xr/36181

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18-2-li-18v-2-6ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/96805

I had old nicad dewalts and replaced them with Makita when the batteries all died, then the van got emptied by ***** scum. Looking around I replaced them with dewalt again, not because I liked the old dewalts, but because of the 4ah batteries. They really do last well get yourself a combi kit with the drill and an impact driver and you will be delighted how well it works for what you're doing. The box they come in is very heavy duty, and ridiculously heavy, but the tools are pretty amazing. The Makitas I had pinched were good, and the 20 minute charger was great, but I so rarely need to charge the new batteries that it doesn't factor in. Also the Makita impact wrench didn't actually have much torque, the dewalt has much more torque and a three speed gearbox so you can go down a gear for more torque and it is super powerful.

I used to have a Makita and a Bosch jigsaw, they were replacements for the same ones I had worn out. They were pretty new, I made the mistake of nipping up the shop for a sandwich for 10 mins and those lovely travellers stole them. I have a stupid little homebase one now and its rubbish, but I cant justify buying expensive again.