placeboard training

bi9johnny

A mate of mine has been doing some of this with his cocker with opie and he swears by it. Can't argue with someone whose made up over 100 FTCh!!!!

Can you explain to me what is the purpose of it, is it to just obedience , control or what on some vids they say about using different height boards.....why

To be honest I've not really gone in for it but I think the theory is the dog looks at the place board as the place to be (I guess like a clicker is a reward for clicker training, the board is the reward for place board........but I might be wrong!!!!). So the dog climbs on the board and its "rewarded". So if the trainer is standing next to the board and you call the dog in, its rewarded as its on the board in front of you, which also helps with creeping as the dog wants to be there. So there is you stay command. Likewise when it comes to directions, extra boards are placed out. The dog is sent for a retrieve on a board behind/left/right. The dog knows whats wanted so goes to the board. Its then whistled in to the board in front of the trainer. Gradually the boards are phased out.

I'm sure there are people on here who know far far more about this than me though who will be able to explain it (and no doubt correct me!) better than me.

I believe the diffent height boards are to get the dog steady on them.The higher the board the closer the dog is to the handlers level and the further it has to get down (jump rather than step down). Again, I'm sure some one will know a more definitive answer than me.

oh but you can Hitler had lots of fans and made lots of folk generals it didnt make him right.

You can say though that it works and rather than coming here as a newbie and criticising nttf and one of the most successful spaniel trainers going perhaps you need to open your mind to different methods. From what's been posted so far you have a 1 year old lab and are looking for beating, that suggests you aren't an expert anywhere other than behind a keyboard. I have a feeling things could get interesting

You can say though that it works and rather than coming here as a newbie and criticising nttf and one of the most successful spaniel trainers going perhaps you need to open your mind to different methods. From what's been posted so far you have a 1 year old lab and are looking for beating, that suggests you aren't an expert anywhere other than behind a keyboard. I have a feeling things could get interesting

well said, but openshaw is not "one" of the most successful he "is" the most successful by a mile.

You could be correct. What could i know? I will stop posting. sorry if I upset the nttf love fest :)

It's not that it's the everyone else is wrong that gets to people, just let us know how you are better than Ian openshaw and we will listen

I just said" I would not post again" see what you did:) you went and asked a question.

I have not said that I am better than anyone and in the words of nttf "if you dont like the advice dont take it"

I would never question your right to have an opinion as you have mine but I would at times say when I think you are not correct.

Now however I understand that in this forum you can only agree and say how wonderful training advice.

What could a, (what did you call me) a "newbe" know?

That's what we'd like to know, you've criticised some pretty well respected trainers who have successful dogs and more than a few and so far all we know is you have a 1 year old lab and want to go beating. Now generally any fool can train a lab so you can see why there is a little suspicion

That's what we'd like to know, you've criticised some pretty well respected trainers who have successful dogs and more than a few and so far all we know is you have a 1 year old lab and want to go beating. Now generally any fool can train a lab so you can see why there is a little suspicion

Look, I know this is maybe not what you want to hear but if any fool can train a Lab why is nttf giving "advice" on how to train a Lab? and why are you making all this fuss?

Do you have a problem with me or my training methods?

You know I have been thinking (I know never a good thing for a newbe) If you just want to follow like a sheep and not think or question. why have a form why not just buy a book. years ago top trainers said it was all about domination and hitting a dog was ok was that right?

Every day is a school day, i have been very fortunate to met and know some brilliant trainers who have won a fair bit and they all say u never know it all and are always speaking to each and picking up wee tit bits here and there to improve themselves.

It says a lot that someone with the knowlege and experience as well as reputation off ian is prepared to look around to other countries and see wot there doing and seeif it could improve how he trains his dogs.

Can't see wot ur problem is, surely he's using a technique that doesn't involve a big stick, surely that is a good thing? In the old days if it moved the stick would be out till it knew better than to move, surely anything is better for than that, if it works for him i'm not going to argue, wether anyone decides to follow his advice is a up to u, but i don't think there is many rights and wrong's just wot u find works best for u doesn'rt make it 'righter' than anyone else