Parker Hale Moderator re assembly question

brettguise

Hi guys, gave my parker hale moderator a good clean I noted the order everything removed and it seemed first out came a spring then 14 baffles and then a washer. Upon re assembly cup facing towards the exit I put the washer in first then 14 baffles then the spring. This didnt work and it was rattly. I tried a series of combinations and the only thing that would work was washer in first 13 baffles cup facing out then the last baffle facing in with spring on top and screw the cap on. After reading various forum topics some have 17 baffles, I can purchase a replacement set which suggests 15 baffles and I have also seen a few people say there is 14. Some clarification really and how it should be properly assembled. Am I missing anything?

I only have 14 baffles

1 spring

1 washer.

It all looks lined up and there's no movement in the moderator, would it be ok to use as it is now if nobody can suggest anything else?

I had one for a week absolute rubbish IMO, too fiddly, not as quiet as most other mods I've tried either only good thing is there compact, that's no good when you can't get a rimfire to hit a 4" circle at 50m though, stuck a different mod on and sub 3/4" groups.

I've got a sako on mine after trying various others although I'd have a sak as a close second. Both wider than the ph but does it really matter when they are both superior mods?

Had Parkerhales for years, nothing wrong with them, if you can't get a grouping, you've put it together wrong.

Easy way is to turn a broom shank handle down so it just fits inside the mod,

then use it to push the baffles in, keeps them square with the tube, I've found using the rod is next to US.

Anyone with a crappy "Parkerhale Mod" that doesn't want it, I'll give it a good home.. :yes:

Just going off personal experience, I found it useless it was poor straight out the box, then took it to bits reassembled still poor. took it the shop stripped another to check it was assembled the same which it was so got an exchange for another brand sirocco I think, worked fine zeroed great so that was me put off ph silencers. I appreciate mine may have been a faulty item but its put me off and I'll never try one again.

• 7 years later...

Hope this helps some of you. Mine has 15 baffles, 2 washers and a spring. Assembly as per PH instructions are baffles first, cup outwards then a washer then the spring and last a washer. To remove and clean crusted residue I soak the internals in foaming barrel cleaner then wash and dry before reassembly.

On 21/09/2013 at 12:19, brettguise said:

Hi guys, gave my parker hale moderator a good clean I noted the order everything removed and it seemed first out came a spring then 14 baffles and then a washer. Upon re assembly cup facing towards the exit I put the washer in first then 14 baffles then the spring. This didnt work and it was rattly. I tried a series of combinations and the only thing that would work was washer in first 13 baffles cup facing out then the last baffle facing in with spring on top and screw the cap on. After reading various forum topics some have 17 baffles, I can purchase a replacement set which suggests 15 baffles and I have also seen a few people say there is 14. Some clarification really and how it should be properly assembled. Am I missing anything?

I only have 14 baffles

1 spring

1 washer.

It all looks lined up and there's no movement in the moderator, would it be ok to use as it is now if nobody can suggest anything else?