Help for a new guy with pidgeon

wifyonk

hello all im a little new to all this stuff so please bare with me ,my uncle has been shooting for about 40 years,and had shotguns sine you went to the post office for the licence ..i was visiting him last month while he was cleaning his guns and its taken my interest in a big way ,i have always had an air rifle and dispatched the rats at the local allotment for some of the old men ,so i have applied for my shotgun certificate and bought a new gun safe and so on and so forth.i go shooting for the first time tomorrow with my uncle ,he has permission to shoot on quite a bit of land ,he assures me we will have something to eat tomorrow,he thinks pidgeon.....this is my question after reading on here most people only use the breast is there a reason for this ? can you eat the whole pidgeon ? id ask my uncle but he just grunts at me lol

It is a question of meat obtained to effort and time used, the most meat on a pigeon is on the breasts and is easy to get to. If you skin or pluck the rest of the bird the carcase is useful for boiling for stock or soup. I always breast my pigeons and skin my phezzies, as there is more meat on a phezzie carcase.

Pat