pigeon shooting on telegraph lines

stewartc46

I should be careful even with a sub-12 ft/lb air-rifle. You can certainly bust them with a shotgun as our local pheasant shooters have proved on more than one occasion. Electric cables can be damaged as well and I suspect heavy voltage cables would hold a .22 or HMR bullet, which would take some explaining if the lights went out and the electric board came looking for the fault.. I doubt if an air-rifle pellet would make it through the armour though.

I've got a valley I regularly shoot across with a .222 and there are overhead power lines running down the centre. I'm shooting down onto the cables - which are fairly light weight domestic supply - from above and they're hard to see through the scope. The rabbits manage to get directly behind them and I often have to move to get a power line out of shot. I don't know what a ballistic tipped bullet travelling at 3500 fps would do to a domestic power line, and I'm not keen to find out.

I do remember from my youth that the tines of alluminium TV aerials could be pinged off most satisfactorily with a .22 Original 45. :whistling:

Edit: sorry, didn't see it was FAC air. Keep well away from lines with that.

Edit 2: In talking of shooting near overhead lines I am assuming a shot with a backstop, not flyers, before anyone makes an issue of it.

Edited by Gimlet

I might add, I've got a heavy load electric cable running across the field behind my house. Woodies and jackdaws love to perch on it. The ground rises steeply behind so its a safe shot and with the HMR it would be like shooting pegs off a clothes line. But there's no way I'd risk it. The cable is well over an inch thick and I'm sure a bullet could lodge in there. The pigeons have worked it out. They know its suicide to walk about on the ground when I'm about but they'll perch on that power line and laugh at me.

It would depend very much on the angle of the shot, a glancing blow from an acute angle is highly unlikely to do much damage. I'm not advocating the practice because of even greater relevance is the fact that the pellet can travel a very long way when shot upwards so you need to be very aware of your boundaries and likelihood of stock or property damage anyway.

Having said that I can't remember the last time I missed and hit the branch the bird was sitting on which is what would have to happen,

'Telephone lines' or 'Power lines'. 2 entirely different things.

You won't 'bring down' either with an air rifle/shotgun, however you will damage a telephone wire with a pellet.

Like mossy said, there is a steel cable or steel wires (depending on what type of cable it is) inside telephone cables which are used to support the weight of the span, very unlikely you will bring it down unless you score a direct hit with a hv heavy bullet, but with an air rifle/shottie you could damage the copper wires and the insulation which will no doubt lead to a fault and some poor sod having to go and change the span.

Not only that if you were to get seen or caught doing so it would be criminal damage.

Above is not an armchair opinion dragged off the internet, I speak from experience.

Edited by Gee.