Never Done Worse

Big Marty

Have been out shooting twice in the past few days and I have never shot worse in my life. Friday past went out started well enough, shot 4 or 5 fairly close together, then missed 1 then another and so on. Only shot 2 more birds in the next hour, bad day ( I THOUGHT ) Went out today with a friend who Is a fantastic shot and off we go 1 missed 2 missed 3 missed, oh my God what a shocker could hit nothing, to the point Iam sitting here having to head in for night duty and wondering should I give it up. Really I was so ashamed of my shooting, and the harder I tried the worse it bloody got. Has this ever happened anyone else or should I never of come back to shooting after the accident and damaging arm ? It has really knocked the heart out of me , and to make things worse I think my mate started to miss at the end because he saw that I was annoyed with myself.

I wouldn't worry about it, just be grateful you don't sell dead pigeons for a living. :)

Everybody has off days , in all sports and pastimes.

Just relax, forget about it and it will all come good.

Some days I have two guns with me and if things aren't working out with one, I switch over and start hitting things.

There is no logic to this, as it doesn't matter which guns, or in which order.

Its all in the mind. :wacko: :wacko:

I wouldn't worry about it, just be grateful you don't sell dead pigeons for a living. :)

Everybody has off days , in all sports and pastimes.

Just relax, forget about it and it will all come good.

Some days I have two guns with me and if things aren't working out with one, I switch over and start hitting things.

There is no logic to this, as it doesn't matter which guns, or in which order.

Its all in the mind. :wacko: :wacko:

If I was selling birds for a living I would have very hungry lads lol. Just thought today would have been better.

Mate went through this same thin when they were doing spring drillings.

I had been clay shooting and there was a chap who was correcting me on what I was doing wrong and got me thinking about my shooting. I shot **** for weeks and the frustration set in. Would do a box for no birds it was hell lol.

My shooting partner was taking the **** somat rotten also. I gave up thinking and started shooting again and my started to hit birds and start building bags again.

The information I had been fed had cooked my brains I had tried to change the way I shot. The advice I was offered was no doubt very good and put into good practice may have worked wonders, half an hour ruined my shooting for weeks lol

Karpman

Thank lads, I know I won't give it up. I think the next few outings I will go alone and take the pressure of trying to keep up off. I just was so annoyed with myself , some of my misses I could of threw the shell at them and got a kill. Started to think right who took the shot out of my carts: and as I said the more I missed the harder I tried and Yeap the more I missed. Are golf clubs expensive lol. 😥😥

BM,

Keep at it. Just getting back into things after three years off with Achilles tendon problems. Flycasting is OK, but cannot stand for more than 3 hours (painful after 2). Did not pick a shottie up i that time and went back at the CLA. Used to easliy vaporize springing teals, did not hit more than 50%. I was grateful for that as with no balance with no tendons my bigsset fear was falling back on my backside. On the up side the local tree rats and corvids have had a thin time as the only thing to keep me sane was the .22 springer.

Don't worry about it.

The more you worry /overthink /calculate etc etc the more you will get yourself in a tangle.

When I started I foolishly set my ideas of one shot one kill sort of thinking................. WHOA came down with a bump in short order I can tell you.

Like you, I used to get really angry with myself and start all the "what's the point?" "what am I doing wrong?" " not worth pulling the trigger as I'll only miss" line of thinking.

BUT when I started laughing at myself for being so useless , guess what ? Shot / kill ration started to climb again.

Don't get me wrong , I'm still not a good shot, far from it but I do manage to make the odd "how the f- - - did I hit that one" and those are the ones to think of not the ones I miss when the birds give you a little wave as they fly away.

Enjoy being in the fresh air, soak up the countryside, light you fag or pour your coffee out, birds are sure to come then and you will be more relaxed to take your shot as you will be worrying about spilling your coffee or burning yourself with your fag still In your mouth when you mount your gun.

Remember , no-one said it would be easy and if you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined.

Good Luck