My paddock – what would you do?

blowin

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A horse wouldn't graze an acre for long before its nothing but a patch of mud and docks, especially in winter. As for Christmas trees, I wouldn't reccomend it unless you are good at spraying weeds, aphids, mites, keeping them in the right shape (shearing) and irigation, we do it at work on a commercial scale and its near enough a full time job!

What about an underground Cannabis farm? Whenever the Fuzz bust one of those places they talk about "street value" in millions. :good:

http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/News/East-Herts-villages/Police-unearth-underground-cannabis-factory-near-railway-line-in-Spellbrook-20130705064621.htm

Yer but you only get whole sale ... probally only a coupled hundred thousand a year :huh: lol

Formalise the arrangement with the existing guy in the form of a tenency agreement or get rid of him and get another tenent n a short term lease.

DON'T PUT HORSES ON IT. There is no quicker way to ruin good grassland. Sheep and/or heiffers/steers. You might make a few bob from an early cut of hay before you put summer livestock on it. My brother does that with a couple of paddocks he's got. He's got his own machinery though. Its not worth paying someone else to mow and bale two acres. Whoever takes the grazing might want a cut of hay off it first though, as part of the deal.

Formalise the arrangement with the existing guy in the form of a tenency agreement or get rid of him and get another tenent n a short term lease.

DON'T PUT HORSES ON IT. There is no quicker way to ruin good grassland. Sheep and/or heiffers/steers. You might make a few bob from an early cut of hay before you put summer livestock on it. My brother does that with a couple of paddocks he's got. He's got his own machinery though. Its not worth paying someone else to mow and bale two acres. Whoever takes the grazing might want a cut of hay off it first though, as part of the deal.

Really????

We have 4 acres that has had upto 5 horses on at a time and it still dont get muddy or torn up??

we have just over 10 acres, a few years back my father decided to let the land to a local girl with 3 horses. firstly, we got nowhere near £100 per horse per month, secondly,

while the horses didn't exactly churn the ground up, they did manage to wreck nearly 100m of post and rail fence, and the piles of doo left in the hedges to the back of the field where the lazy **** couldn't be bothered to barrow the stuff and bag it were astronomical. never again will it happen, they should be ground up for pet food along with their horses :whistling:

What sort of soil are you on? Is it free draining? Is it south facing? Etc etc

Work out what you can do with it then decide.

I would scope out the possibilities of establishing a few rows of asparagus. If they do well and you market them well you can plant more and so on and so forth.

You could have a small orchard as well and maybe a few hives and pigs.

Dude, you are blessed. Kick that plum bag and his sheep off and embrace what i'm sure many on here would give a testostricle for.

Really? ???

We have 4 acres that has had upto 5 horses on at a time and it still dont get muddy or torn up??

Its not a question of churning up. They compact the soil - if it is soil and not stones or sand - reduce drainage and turn it into a plough pan. Plants with shallow filament roots struggle and deeper fleshy or tap-rooted plants take over. You end up with impoverished grass in a sea of nettles, thistles and docks and a soil structure which often can't be salvaged for reseeding without cultivating or sub-soiling.

If its cr-p ground anyway, no great loss; but if its established grazing with mixed crass and wild flowers it'll get destroyed.

Plus of course, if the nag paddocks round here are anything to go by, it'll look like a gyppo camp in no time: junk, plastic electric fencing, old lorries trailers, cobbled-together hay shelters, discarded tools and buckets everywhere and an ever growing **** heap in the corner.

2 Acres will support 10 sheep or 2 horses.

Here, grazing is around £65-£75 per acre/year.

My advice, if you want to look after your land, is to stick with sheep. Use a formal grazing license and charge the going rate, rather than expecting someone to do £150 worth of jobs. Why not speak to your current tenant and see if he's interested, better the devil you know !

If you have horses you will have all the hassle that comes with them, poor grazers, poached fields, post and rail chewers, dung heaps and of course the people and their cars.

Has it got development potential ?- If so get a couple of houses on it and move, like everyone else does.

If in the greenbelt, start a honey business sell the present house, keep the field and claim key worker status after a couple of years and build on it. 2 Acres you must be talking 500k plus ?

The landlord is supposed to do the upkeep of fences and drinkers etc but that's if he's getin payed get some money off him and do the upkeep if there is no money payed for it after so many years he can claim the ground as his own happened to a friend a few years back he lost 32arces