Taking a car for a mot which isn't taxed

fuzzypigeon

Anyone know the score on how you stand if a car is insured but not taxed and in need of an mot, I'm under the impression if it is booked in with a garage then that's fine as long as it's insured but I was told otherwise today so I thought I would ask the fountain of knowledge that is on here.

Thanks

As in if it's at your house

A local garage

You can't live in Scotland say and have it booked in at london

There is nothing in law that states a maximum distance just that it must be a booked appointment. There is still a risk of fine or prosecution if you are stopped and the vehicle is found to be unsafe.

Hi,

I believe you can book it in anywhere within reasonable distance, your right you can't take it to London if it's registered in Scotland but if your collecting it from London you should be okay to drive it to Scotland,my advice is don't! If the tyres are illegal it won't matter where the mot is being tested it's still 3 points a tyre, also you should check as most insurance won't pay out in the event of a crash, your better of getting it mot close to where the car is as possible

Hope that helps

As above, it needs tax kinda catch 22; personally I wouldn't worry to much as they will just reclaim the tax owed, which I am assuming you would be willing to pay.

That is if you were stopped etc, if its insured and you have an accident and its not taxed ot mot then you may have an issue with your insurer who would make every effort to get round the insurance.

That only applies to a car which does not have an MoT. There is no exemption for driving it without tax, as far as I'm aware.

However, a dealer may be able to drive it on trade plates.

J.

it is legal to drive to a pre booked MOT without tax as long as it is insured. I clarified it with a vosa man last week. that's the reason it has to be booked in, its the evidence if you get a tug.

it is legal to drive to a pre booked MOT without tax as long as it is insured. I clarified it with a vosa man last week. that's the reason it has to be booked in, its the evidence if you get a tug.

Toby is spot on, the exemptions for no MOT and no VEL ( tax disc ) are travelling to or from a pre booked MOT test, to or from a pre booked repairer in order to pass an MOT.

Pre booked means it's in the diary at the garage before you travel!

HTH

Toby is spot on, the exemptions for no MOT and no VEL ( tax disc ) are travelling to or from a pre booked MOT test, to or from a pre booked repairer in order to pass an MOT.

Pre booked means it's in the diary at the garage before you travel!

HTH

That was always my understanding, it is a little difficult to get Road Tax without a current MOT!