bones

Willow32

Got a new dog and give him a bone during the day to keep him occupied. First ones I got were knuckle bones and they went straight through him.i asked the misses what they were and they were pork.So I went and got some dried beef bones but they make him loose and also pruduce a slime over his cr*p.

He is a lab and 2yr old....would fresh beef bones be better...or just keep him off the bones? I always thought bones make the stools harder and drier.

Regards

Willow32

If you insist on giving your dog bones avoid some of the more brittle beef bones,rib or blade. it can be a costly exersise having them removed from the intestine by a veterinary surgeon.

Knuckle marrow or neck bones would be my choice.if at all.

Would dogs eat bones in a natural enviroment ???

Yes, they do remember the idea behind the BARF diet! Furthermore if bones are not available they will tend to chew wood etc. which can be worse. Feed only Beef bones and big ones at that, remove before the dog totally eats the lot (some do some don't) . do not over do it as it can actually wear teeth down prematurely in time

If you want to keep him occupied get him one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Kong-Rubber-Red-Dog-Toy-Small-Medium-Large-XL-XXL-/251155459631?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item3a7a082e2f

I put dry dog food in then soak with water then freeze it over night, keeps my lab occupied for hours :good:

If you want to keep him occupied get him one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Kong-Rubber-Red-Dog-Toy-Small-Medium-Large-XL-XXL-/251155459631?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item3a7a082e2f

I put dry dog food in then soak with water then freeze it over night, keeps my lab occupied for hours :good:

+1 :good:

Be careful with rawhide, some dogs suck it till its all damp instead off chewing it and then try to swallow whole, it can choke them, must admit i've never had a problem but after lady in pet shop told me that i stopped giving them raw hide, thinks she had bul terriers so quite a big dog

I sometimes put all my dogs in the kennel and chuck a full deer carass in, also throw in legs/hoofs and heads, it doesn't last long, i did start cutting it up into small pieces but after watching my springer eat a 2 ribs+ belly fat in a oner going back to leaving it whole. He just crunched a bit and swallowed it as thou it was spaghatti. Was really worried about him that nite but had no ill effects

Thats a good idea Welsh andy, got a kong but never thought about freezing it, that'll keep my young pointer happy for a bit longer when away working with the older dogs

I find deer antler keeps my cocker occupied.

I agree with Scotslad about the possible choking on a soggy hide chew - had that with my lad and fortunately was there to stick my arm down his throat and pull it out. I'll never use them again.

I chuck my dogs whole, uncooked chicken and pigeon wings, also rabbit legs.

I agree with Scotslad about the possible choking on a soggy hide chew - had that with my lad and fortunately was there to stick my arm down his throat and pull it out. I'll never use them again.

+1

My dog untied one end of a large knotted rawhide bone and swallowed it. I managed to pull it back out as the other end would not go down because of the knot.

Its quite amazing what a dog can neck whole and have no ill effects- but as always stuff can happen. My GWP used to neck whole half grown Rabbits (stangely only when he pegged them not when sent for them) a mate had a Lab that swallowed teal whole but was fine with other duck (must have figured chewing was a no-no but swallowing was ok with his boss)