Depression and FAC.

Big Marty

Hi folks my oldest lad is wanting to apply for his FAC, problem is last year he had a bit of trouble with depression and got treatment for it. He also went to see a councilor, do use think this would be enough to stop him from geting his permit ? All thoughts on this welcome.....

i have always been told that its an instant refusal, I don't know that for a fact, just what I have heard people say. Logically you can see that it probably would be.

I think its something they will take into consideration along with other things , but I don't think its an automatic ban.

It should be remembered that simply because a person has received treatment in the past

for certain illnesses or conditions, such as depression or stress, it does not automatically

follow that they are unfit to possess a firearm. It is simply one of the factors to be

considered”

Hi mate cant say for sure either way you in a bad spot really,best advice might be to contact basc direct they have the answers you seek, could be down to issuing force problem u got is if you don't declare it and they contact your gp they will find out anyway which might or might not screw it up. If you contact basc they should be able to offer advice and also give you something to work with if the application was unsuccessful. Sorry cant be of any more help pal some guys on here will prob know the ins and outs better than me :)

Firstly - I hope your lad has recovered - depression is not fun.

It depends how badly depressed he was and what the doctor said. Personally, I would not build my hopes up, as depression normally spells the end of any prospect - rightly so in some cases. However, I would be speaking to the doctor concerned as well as the FEO, before hopes are raised.

i have always been told that its an instant refusal, I don't know that for a fact, just what I have heard people say. Logically you can see that it probably would be.

Again, it's a force lottery, some of the better ones take circumstance, severity etc into account.

I hate the blanket attitude that it should omit you from fac, as a nurse I see fully functioning people with well treated depression, it's not necessarily a pre marker to suicide or murder....but no health professional will put their signature on that.

Ask your lad to speak to the feo before applying, it's best not to apply than be refused, and all importantly speak to his gp, that'll be the crux of the decision.

Every other person you meet, near abouts will have had some mental health issues, depression IMO is over diagnosed.

I have had depression in the past and have now renewed my shotgun certificate twice since I had treatment for it, the first time round I did have to see my GP before they would renew it. If he's fine now and has been for a while there shouldn't really be a problem with it although that may depend on how severe his depression was and how long it went on for.

From my experience much depends on the severity of the depression,who diagnosed it,the treatment undertaken and the response to that treatment.

Many folk associate depression with suicide and worse,but the vast majority of sufferers dont even know they have depression until diagnosed and simply want to be well again.

The only way to find out for sure is to enquire of your licensing authority,and while its not an automatic refusal,the licensing authorities are very well aware of all the bad press they have been subject to of late regarding licensing,entirely of their own making I might add.

I think i am right in saying, there is a difference as viewed by the police with someone who has had it via " a reason for it", e.g. bereavement, loss of employment etc., as opposed to someone who just feels really down and unhappy, and therefor unstable in the eyes of doctors.

Like said above, i think from previous other threads on this his GP is going to play a big part in his application.

I commend your son for seeking help and wish him all the best.

I was for two years ,was honest from the day I sent of for my Fac ,not a problem they got in touch with my doctor and he sent a lovely letter back to them saying I was fine and does not see a problem with me holding my SGC and FAC

It will not be an instant refusal.

He needs to make sure he puts it on his application. FEB will then ask his GP for a report, the application will then rest largely on what his GP's report says.

If he omits it and it comes to light at a later date that he was treated for Depression he will be revoked for making a false declaration.

Again, it's a force lottery, some of the better ones take circumstance, severity etc into account.

I hate the blanket attitude that it should omit you from fac, as a nurse I see fully functioning people with well treated depression, it's not necessarily a pre marker to suicide or murder....but no health professional will put their signature on that.

Ask your lad to speak to the feo before applying, it's best not to apply than be refused, and all importantly speak to his gp, that'll be the crux of the decision.

Every other person you meet, near abouts will have had some mental health issues, depression IMO is over diagnosed.

Speaking to a nurse at my GP, she was telling me how 1 doctor used a quick 10 question quiz which if the results were accurate would mean all of the staff at the surgery were bordering on suicidal.

She was stating her belief that far too many people were being diagnosed as depressed when they were nothing of the sort.

I am not a medical professional so what crieteria they use is beyond me so I cannot express an opinion.

As far as FAC application, as others have said, its a force lottery but I would also imagine it will be scrutinized closer for FAC than SGC.

Speaking to a nurse at my GP, she was telling me how 1 doctor used a quick 10 question quiz which if the results were accurate would mean all of the staff at the surgery were bordering on suicidal.

She was stating her belief that far too many people were being diagnosed as depressed when they were nothing of the sort.

I am not a medical professional so what crieteria they use is beyond me so I cannot express an opinion.

As far as FAC application, as others have said, its a force lottery but I would also imagine it will be scrutinized closer for FAC than SGC.

Over here it's all FAC.

I was on tablets for 6 months after a split . I never lost my sgc at all but had an interview . I waited 12 months before application for fac and sailed through it. Just be honest .

Note I was never suicidal but low

I will say theirs many people suffer without help who really need it . My mate shot himself and was the happiest man I knew

Edited by team tractor

If his gun is going to be kept in your cabinet it won't be a problem. I know a guy who's tried to kill himself twice due to a family member dying in an accident, he's fine most the year but gets low sometimes suicidal round that time of year. He keeps his gun in his sons cabinet but doesn't have access. He has been able to keep his licence so I don't see why your lad can't get one.

So paradoxically any SGC or FAC holder, who finds, due to circumstances, that they are suffering from depression, the last thing they can do if they wish to safegueard their sport, hobby etc is actually seek professional help.!!!! Now that cannot be right can it?

:good: You couldn't make it up could you?

Edited by Scully