Morning flight in a storm

steve0146

I left for the marsh this morning at 4.30am. Forecast was clear with rain in the afternoon. However the whole 45 min journey was lit up with sheet lighting and the wind was really picking up. On arrival, it was clear there was going to be a storm. I pulled on the waders and got all the gear ready to go…..then the rain started. Drizzle at first, before a full on torrential down pour for 20 mins. I decided as I had travel this far, I might as well venture out.

I got to the tides edge and set the decoys up. The storm was now in full swing with thunder, lighting and horrendous rain. At least it tested my jacket out! Which I’m glad to say did me proud.

It was still dark when the first pair came over, however, I managed to drop one. A nice young wigeon in the bag. There were reports of Pintail arriving during the week, and as I had never shot one, was keen to get under them. A small group came over, but I missed cleanly. As I was cursing myself, another was following and was neatly folded up and landed for an easy retrieve for the dog. And then the flight started properly.

In total 7 duck…. 1 Pintail, 4 wigeon, a teal and a lovely drake mallard. One of the best flights I have ever had and makes up for all the blanks!

Highlight for me was a pricked wigeon. We had to cross the rapidly rising creek to get to the other side. The young dog messed about for a while, but suddenly remembered her training and went right back to find the bird. It was a long retrieve and all the evenings of training paid off.

Some were caught on camera, however, its morning flight, so all shot in the half light and the camera has not picked up the images very well. It also has not caught the horrendous rain! Best watched full screen so you can see whats happening!

Attaching video gives a green screen so here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VcPJ7q6_Q

Well done Steve :good: I was on my way to the same marsh (after greylags as I've had enough duck this week) but after being within feet of a lightning strike I lost my bottle and went back home. My left ear is still ringing from it, getting it checked out in the morning :/ Did you see the greys BTW?

Well done Steve :good: I was on my way to the same marsh (after greylags as I've had enough duck this week) but after being within feet of a lightning strike I lost my bottle and went back home. My left ear is still ringing from it, getting it checked out in the morning :/ Did you see the greys BTW?

It was a bit scary at times! I have would not have gone out if I knew how bad it was going to be. Didn't see any greys, never even heard a Canada but plenty of Brent. Lots of pintail too. I wondered if I was going to bump into you.

Nice going Steve, gets sort of "interesting " going out in a storm :lol: think I would of been the same as Andy. nearly got blown into the river one night in a force 10 while shooting Teal

You sure that wasn't your Mrs giving you the ringing in the ears Andy :lol:

Edited by The Croc

"Chuffin ell Andy :w00t: definite brown trouser moment"

Got to be honest Bri, I didn't like it :no:

We've also had reports of other members out on the club's other estuary witnessing a lightning strike just 50 feet away from them.......... Steve deserved everyone of those ducks for sticking that one out.....