decent LED torch

aga man

hi folks. thought i might see if anyone here can recomend a decent LED type torch for use with an air rifle.

i usually use a lamp from a vehicle,but now need to sort some rabbits where the vehicle is not an option and i can't stretch to night vision at the moment. i have heard the torches are good enough but which one?

the rifle is aa s200 which takes plenty of rabbits.

cheers

aga man.

Edited by aga man

I used an Activ Pro 120 lumen torch from Tescos, runs for 7 hours on 2 AA batteries, filters are simple, use Quality Street wrappers and get bonus points from the missus for buying her choccies too!

http://www.tesco.com/direct/active-ap-pro-series-120-lumens-torch-2-x-aa/708-5310.prd

It is focusable, throws a beam over 60 metres and has a dimmer as well! Fixes onto the scope with a £10 clamp you can get from most gun shops.

Advantages, batteries can be rechargeable (buy from Tescos too) but if you keep a pack of AAs in the jacket pocket, you wont be out of power!

I used an Activ Pro 120 lumen torch from Tescos, runs for 7 hours on 2 AA batteries, filters are simple, use Quality Street wrappers and get bonus points from the missus for buying her choccies too!

http://www.tesco.com/direct/active-ap-pro-series-120-lumens-torch-2-x-aa/708-5310.prd

It is focusable, throws a beam over 60 metres and has a dimmer as well! Fixes onto the scope with a £10 clamp you can get from most gun shops.

Advantages, batteries can be rechargeable (buy from Tescos too) but if you keep a pack of AAs in the jacket pocket, you wont be out of power!

I think the correct link for above with dimmer function may be

http://www.tesco.com/direct/active-led-torch-120-lumen/208-7946.prd?skuId=208-7946&pageLevel=sku&_requestid=146441

Cant comment on the above one (which are out of stock by the way) but I have found the below absolutely fine ...........

Red or Green cree ultrafire lamp with scope mount and pressure switch.

I have used these for a while now and as a budget set up I dont think it can be beat. Really good build quality and still going strong.

As the lamps have Red/Green emitters, all of the light is available (not cut down by filters) and it will easily allow you to shoot out to 60yds. Both are good & dont tend to frighten off the rabbits as much as a white light either. (They use 2 x CR123 batteries and its worth having spares if you are out lamping for a while. You can get them & a charger on Ebay)

A lamp, scope mount and remote switch comes in at about a tenner delivered!

If you want to get a tighter beam, fit a converging lense.

Links below.

Red Cree light

Scope Mount

Pressure switch

Green Cree Light

Converging lens ...........edges need sanding a little to fit housing but easy job and throws light further

Edited by peek-at

• 3 weeks later...

My local tool shop are doing led lenser p7 torches for £19.99, i think it an xmas promotion independent tool shop are running at the moment. I dont think it is just this shop, as there is video ad running in the shop and coloured advertising leaflets on the counter it must be a national thing. This is a very good torch at this money.

thanks for the heads up guinty1 it's hard to believe how cheap these torches are becoming.

to be honest i have just taken delivery of the set up that peek-at recomended and i have to say for just over £10.50 +a couple of batterys it seems perfect. just haven't got out on the rabbits yet because of the wind. :/

as already mentio0ned deal extreme torches are brilliant, much better quality than some of the same ones on ebay (i have both) but if it is a head torch you want the led lenser h7 is brilliant, really powerfull beam and dimmable i know its thirty quid but itsa is worth it, i only just bought mine but i love it over my old cheap one

Hi A-Man

DaveG on here has done a great post on improving the Surefire501 torches - just needs a particular lens (AHorton on here/thro' DG?) which significantly increases the range by changing the focus of the standard S-501 - well worth thumbing through the posts/replies.......including his video of the tweaking!

L

Hi A-Man

DaveG on here has done a great post on improving the Surefire501 torches - just needs a particular lens (AHorton on here/thro' DG?) which significantly increases the range by changing the focus of the standard S-501 - well worth thumbing through the posts/replies.......including his video of the tweaking!

L

thanks mate, i will have a butchers :good:

thanks for the heads up guinty1 it's hard to believe how cheap these torches are becoming.

to be honest i have just taken delivery of the set up that peek-at recomended and i have to say for just over £10.50 +a couple of batterys it seems perfect. just haven't got out on the rabbits yet because of the wind. :/

Please let me know how you get on with this set up. I am VERY interested to see the results.

Thanks in advance,

BRNDL