Possessive cocker

Ttfjlc

Hi people just wondering if anyone has come across the same problem I keep getting, I have cocker dog aged 20 months and for the past few months he occasionally growls at me once I have filled his food bowl up. Now I know this may be related but last year a pal of mine came over to pay his syndicate money and spooked my dog on purpose whilst in his cage (1st time dog had seen him) sending him ballistic (yes my friend was sworn at). I wonder if this event is to blame but can't make the connection since I'm feeding him (always thought this to be a good thing), he is absolutely fine whilst training and playing in the garden and doesn't always growl but it bothers me (especially since I've never encountered this with 5 Labradors between my father and I over the years). Cheers

Every time he growls take the bowl off him and make him sit wait a few moments and then return it. It's not a good sign and not related to the other issue, also make sure you can take any of his toys off him and get in his bed etc. all things that are good practice to stop them getting possessive. Let it carry on and you may have a problem on your hands

never let them get territorial it leads to problems i have always with my dogs been able to give and take anything food,toys off them....they have always been very affectionate dogs and non aggressive .

m mate came around and it was his first time with my lab harley, i went in the kitchen to make a brew and i could hear a muffled voice saying ....johnnnn does he always do this and when i went back harley was sat right across his chest pinning him to the settee and licking him

if they aint 100% socially acceptable its a problem

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I just don't understand where it's come from! I forgot to mention that occasionally he does bare his teeth, I've spoke to my dad about this as he had a pup from the same litter and he has had no issues to speak of

Tried your method al4x last night, stood near him whilst he was eating and he growled so stopped him eating. Waited a while then let him back in, same thing happened, even when I pointed at him and said 'no' he bared his teeth and then guess what? Once food gone stood there wagging his tail! Talk about split personality

Difficult to judge this one without seeing the dog, but I wouldn't be letting it escalate.

I don't and won't tolerate any form or possessiveness or aggression from any of my dogs, touch wood it has never been an issue for me with the exception of my very first spaniel 25 years ago who growled when I went to take a bone from her. At that point, and knowing no better, I took the old fashioned approach and gave her a ragging - she never looked the wrong way at me or anyone else again in her next 15 years but I wouldn't do that now, especially with modern breeding.

I would probably do something like al4x suggested, but with small amounts of food and it would be in a bowl between my feet. He would get to eat it when asked and then be stopped several times during his meal. If he has a regular feeding routine I would mix that up as well, so he is not expectant at particular times of the day. If possible feed him smaller meals more regularly but always with you in charge of the bowl and always stopping and starting him through his meal. It won't change overnight. Don't be too harsh on him, just teach him he eats when you say he can and for as long as you say he can.