anybody know anything about abuse of copyright?

docholiday

The first thing that you must do is to contact the newspaper's photo editor and establish where they got the photo from and who gave permission to use it. Do not hesitate in doing this, and get all comunications in writing.

YHPM.

Edited by Frenchieboy

I thnk that sometimes if you upload the picture to public areas, flickr, facebook, possibly even here? You lose copyright of it and anyone can use it for whatever reason they like.

Check the samll print of anywhere you have uploaded it to. A friend of mine had a photo from facebook printed on an xmas card, nothing he could do about it! No fee or anything, not even a credit!

I thnk that sometimes if you upload the picture to public areas, flickr, facebook, possibly even here? You lose copyright of it and anyone can use it for whatever reason they like.

Check the samll print of anywhere you have uploaded it to. A friend of mine had a photo from facebook printed on an xmas card, nothing he could do about it! No fee or anything, not even a credit!

This could only be so if the site/blog/ whatever has small print stating that by putting your photo on their Internet space you are automatically surrendering the copyright of that photo! Otherwise the copyright of any photo remains the property of the photographer until such time as he gives permission for it to be downloaded and republished. As it was explained to my by a solicitor the fact that the photo is on the Internet does not make a scrap of difference, the photo is still covered by copyright laws.

Why don't you put a mark on the picture before uploading it so that people won't want to pinch it? And keep the origional on your laptop.

I put a crow shooting vid on YouTube and someone on the SD has used it on his website that sells crow decoys,(they're not even the same ones as I was using..). He did email me to ask if he could use it but by the time i'd replied, the video was already embedded on his page!

Hope you get it sorted!

Send an invoice to the editor of the paper asking for whatever your rate is. If they refuse to pay follow it up with a letter stating you will proceed with legal action. I have found it never gets beyond that :good: Its your photo, you own the copyright and they have used it without permission! Good luck but dont let them get away with it.

Paper have admitted they were in the wrong and have paid a royalty

Well done you! Which rag was it? If it began with Ly.... then doubly well done!

I had a website and put a picture of a ship (that I had taken) on it. The shipowner contacted me stating that I could not use a picture of their ship and that they did not endorse my product.

I replied that I had the negative and that, if they wished, they could buy it from me for a suitably outrageous sum. I also updated my website to state that by publishing the picture of the ship it was purely for decoration and in no way did I endorse the shipowner or their services.

I never heard another word although I was led to believe that there were certain red faces in their office!

Fal is right, FB recently in small print have said any of your images they can use, however the newspaper being a 3rd party should not be able to publish your images without your consent. I speak as a former commercial photographer who took someone to court over copyright and won.