Dead Cattle

Big Marty

Was out for a shot this morning on the Lough Shore, ( Lough Neagh ). When I was heading back to the van I came across two of his herd lying dead in an ole swamp type place. Contacted the farmer and I know this sounds silly but had this feeling on me that they were going to think I had shot them. Nobody even suggested that just me being paranoid. Have any of you ever had to report dead livestock to the farmer ?

Edited by Big Marty

Would it not be better to just report it to the farmer and let him report it to the relevent authorities?

In theory yes! BUT,.if they died of something dodgy the farmer could in effect burry them and say nowt! Then the disease can have longer to spread as DEFRA et al are not in posession of the facts!

Farmers may, in dedperation, carry out a cover up, that could start the next big thing like the foot and mouth fiasco!

The fact it's a dead HERD, not just one or two cattle should ring alarm bells!

In theory yes! BUT,.if they died of something dodgy the farmer could in effect burry them and say nowt! Then the disease can have longer to spread as DEFRA et al are not in posession of the facts!

Farmers may, in dedperation, carry out a cover up, that could start the next big thing like the foot and mouth fiasco!

He only said "to"...maybe a typo for "two"?

A couple of dead cows...unlikely to be anything serious or there would be more. Twisted gut's more likely.

Edited by deaquire

Load of crooks these farmers, only thing their fit for is giving us permission to shoot their land !!!

Have to tell the farmer of dead livestock quite often albeit sheep and not cattle and I would never go over the farmers head and report it to anyone else. I get the same feeling funnily enough when I come across a dead sheep in the field that I'm shooting as most of them are marked up with red markings which look a lot like blood when you come across one in the early hours of the morning :lol: at the end of the day there could be a perfectly reasonable excuse for it, you don't know until you ask. Also gets you a few brownie points if he doesn't already know about them.

Load of crooks these farmers, only thing their fit for is giving us permission to shoot their land !!!

Having worked on a fair few farms in the past, The majority of them.were.honest hard working chaps! But there are those who in desperation, and risk of losing everything, may take the wrong path!

He only said "to"...maybe a typo for "two"?

A couple of dead cows...unlikely to be anything serious or there would be more. Twisted gut's more likely.

Yeah! That may make more sense than a herd!