Apples - A British Heritage - What ones do you go for?

malkiserow

What a wonderful heritage we have in our apples.

I'be been enjoying some very nice James Grieves of late and today some Worcester Pearmain. The Worcester's have a hint strawberry ..... Amazing fruit.

What ones do you love and why?

Do you grow them or buy them from the farmers markets?

I do like a good russet, nothing beats it in my opinion.

Am in the very fortunate position that the Mother of the land on which our rough shoot is situated,is a recognised national authority on apples.She identified an apple tree for me some years ago which is in my garden,and likewise for a mate.Her house,greenhouse,conservatory and garage(and some of the outbuildings)are literally smothered in cuttings of all types of apple tree imaginable,so we're a little spoilt for choice eating wise.I take her oranges from a lady who bakes christmas cakes,whom I in turn supply with ducks,then in exchange for the oranges I get back apples to eat or are sometimes in the form of chutney!

We're making cider this year.Can't wait.

Egremont Russett for me....lovely.

I love Cox and Worcesters are lush and so light. You are right though - the Heritage in apples and even livestock is tribute to years of careful work.

I remember watching a programme about the research that was carried out to support our homegrown industry after the second world war - truly amazing.

Am in the very fortunate position that the Mother of the land on which our rough shoot is situated,is a recognised national authority on apples.She identified an apple tree for me some years ago which is in my garden,and likewise for a mate.Her house,greenhouse,conservatory and garage(and some of the outbuildings)are literally smothered in cuttings of all types of apple tree imaginable,so we're a little spoilt for choice eating wise.I take her oranges from a lady who bakes christmas cakes,whom I in turn supply with ducks,then in exchange for the oranges I get back apples to eat or are sometimes in the form of chutney!

We're making cider this year.Can't wait.

Egremont Russett for me....lovely.

I bet she would have some interesting history of apples and their development.

• 6 years later...

Just about to harvest a few russets and slice and freeeze them for crumbles and pies later in the year. Usually considered an eater the russet is a superb cooking variety as well, with a nutty taste.  Any member within striking distance of CV9 3NN do not go buying apples or pears this year, first come first served.  Russet, spartan, bramley, conference. They usually go for cider/perry making but the friend who does this is getting over a bad health problem. I don't like to see them go to waste.

James Greaves for sure. We have a tree in our garden. Had to take the fruit to the apple festival to get it identified. I still haven't managed it with the other tree that is an early fruiter. 

The best tasting apple I have ever had is from a wild pippen on a nature reserve. I used to eat them when pregnant, and was told that the apple wouldn't be of a named variety. I think about taking a cutting and grafting it on another tree.

On 18/10/2019 at 23:30, ditchman said:

love a nice russet.........i think the skin the look and feel of them put people off ...shame cause they tast totally different..:good:

Pity your so far away as our russet tree in the orchard is hanging on the floor with fruit.  Must get some peeled and sliced tomorrow and in the freezer for tasty pies and crumbles through the winter.

I agree on the James Grieve, it is the first maturing apple in our orchard and really does take some beating.   I also have a Spartan apple which has yet to ripen fully but is a superb cooker and eater. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Pity your so far away as our russet tree in the orchard is hanging on the floor with fruit.  Must get some peeled and sliced tomorrow and in the freezer for tasty pies and crumbles through the winter.

I agree on the James Grieve, it is the first maturing apple in our orchard and really does take some beating.   I also have a Spartan apple which has yet to ripen fully but is a superb cooker and eater. 

I’ll grab some off you over the weekend if I can. Mum loves them and I normally supply and she bakes :)