cheap chainsaws

billytheghillie

I got one of these little bad boys

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/store/customer/product.php?productid=23884

I originally got mine from Homebase on one of there extra 15% off days so was only around £100 but looks like they have now got a newer model in than the one i bought. Overall its been a cracking little saw and had a lot of use for the first 12 months i owned it. Now 3 years old and still fires up after a couple of pulls even after sitting for a few months. Overall a cracking little saw for those that cant justify the expense of the a Stihl or Husky

Be careful of fake Stihl's

http://www.stihl.co.uk/stihl-warns-about-imitations.aspx

They seem to fake everything these days :no:

Aris is absolutely correct, the same thing was a topic on 'Fake Britain' this morning, hundreds are being seized by customs all over Europe. There is an unknown quantity unaccounted for in the UK.

Made in China, the tests they failed was unbelievable............no chain brake fitted, someone is going to lose a limb or worse.

mj tools on evil bay do a imported 20" for under £100, loads of people on the woodlands forum slatted me off for buying one, telling off the horror stories, so I buckled and bought a 14" husky at around £140, but me being me, I use them both in the woods, the import is great to use, holds sharpness on the teeth well, starts first time, every time, yes it has all the safety features and is basically a copy, so spares are transferable

IMAG0051_zps90e587b9.jpg

The saw makes no difference to how ur chain stays sharp or anything else with the chain. All the engine really does is turn the chain as well as oiling it. The better quality and sharper the chain is the better the saw will cut wotever engine is attached to it

Most cheap chainsaws will have a cheap carpy bar and chain, so that will be 30odd quid price difference to a better bar/chain combo on a better saw.

Also the bar length should be related to the size of engine (cc'c or power) but u see fairly small engine saws on ebay with riducluas sized bars on to make them look bigger/better. U will cut wood just as easily, safer and probably quickier with a smaller bar than a bigger bar, bigger bar means longer chain which means more wieght and drag esp when under load when cutting, like asking a small car to start away in 2nd or 3rd gear all the time. Not good for saw long term.

I always used to think a saw needs to be 50cc plus to handle much over a 15" bar and u really want 70+ cc for 18" and upwards

Really no need for big bars, any saw will cut a log twice its bar length and fell a tree 21/2 times the length if not more if u know wot ur doing

If buying a cheaper saw i would go to a proper saw shop where the owners actually know wot their talking about and can reccommend wot suits u. A local 1 to me reckons echo (and there was a foriegn make, i think chinese make that he said was not bad for money)

But make sure it has all the proper safety features (12 on a proper saw) of which 4 are mandatory, but esp makes sure the chain brake, chain catcher and anti vibe mounts are all present working

Ps I was just on that stupid Fisa refresher chainsaw course thingy, but seemingly Stihl chains are not as safe as other brands off chain. (or atleast the chain that comes on a brand new stihl)

Seemingly there is only 1 anti kick back thing on stih chains (wee sticky up thing in front off rakers where rivet is) and most other brands (oregon etc) have 2.

The stihl chain is a more aggressive chain and more lsimilar in design to harvester head chains

Must admt i never knew that

Edited by scotslad