Boots for beating/country walks etc

markyboy

I'm a mountain leader (all unpaid so far) in the little time I get to spare for it lately;

The first, most important thing is to buy what fits you properly and is comfortable, not what has the best reviews or what someone online says or a particular brand name.

For your purposes, you want B0 boots. Which means they're relatively flexible and aren't suitable for any crampons.

In my opinion, you'd be best off with leather as it's more waterproof than canvas and easier to clean and maintain. However, they won't be as breathable and will take longer to break in but will usually last longer.

Go to a reputable shop, I normally recommend Cotswolds, and have them fitted properly. Explain your requirements and go in the afternoon (your feet swell slightly during the day), wear the socks you intend to use with the boots, I swear by bridgedale. Even if it takes hours and you try 50 pairs on, if you don't find any that you feel fit just right - make your apologies and try elsewhere, the guys helping you understand and are paid whether you buy or not.

Alt-berg make boots in 5 different widths so they're well worth a look and have an excellent reputation but the above still applies.

Cotswolds will change / refund if you don't wear them outside so you can wear them around the house for a few days to have a better try.

Usually the insoles are rubbish and it's well worth investing in some "foot beds" you can usually try before you buy, some (especially superfeet) feel very wierd when you first try them but it's something worth considering.

I have 2 pairs of alt berg and they are amazing.

No bedding in for me, out then on and off you go.

My first pair last me 5 years before they needed re soling. That's why I bought my second pair, while the first was getting done.

I wear mine on a daily basis

Had alsorts over the years. My favorites, Lowa mountain and the Meindl Burma.

My lowas lasted a good 10 years and did more miles than my old jimny !!!

My meindls have been going strong for a few years now, no complaints so far.

Edited by chrispti