Chances of getting a shotgun certificate.

Chipsnegg

You will either be granted or not granted a certificate. There are no restrictions, unlike a firearm certificate, placed on a shotgun certificate. There are only 4 standard conditions, sign it, keep the gun secure, notify if the gun gets lost or stolen, and notify a change of address. Like the others have said put your application in and wait for the interview with the FEO. He should have an honest discussion with you but he will not be able to tell you whether you will be successful, but from what you have said I would think you stand a better than average chance of it being granted. Good luck.

It's been a very long time since your last conviction and your sentences were under three years. My opinion is that you should stand a decent chance of getting it. The guidelines clearly state the limits, and you've not crossed them. A polite letter never does any harm - saying how you have moved on from your past, mentioning long term relationships and general grown up attitude compared to how you used to be are all positives to mention.

I have a conviction for possession of explosives under one of the terrorism acts (I set a home made bomb off in the grounds of a local hotel when I was 18). When I applied for my certificate seven years had passed wit no other clashes with the law. I have both a SGC and FAC. My conviction will never be "spent". It's one of the few that stick for life. In my interview it was brought up and I got a bit of a grilling over it, but just stay calm and talk through it openly. They're looking for your current state, not how you used to be. If you can sit and tell them everything in a relaxed chat it will help a lot.

Crack on pal, don't normally say that to folks with such colorful histories but there rarely so honest and upfront.

Fingers crossed for ya.

Karpman

Oh I did 80 hours or so service for the community when I was young, got asked about it and replied honesty got sgc and fac.

Edited by karpman

Everyone so far has outlined the essential points, and in my opinion you have a reasonable chance of getting one. What I would also do (assuming you live with your partner and she has a gun and cabinet in the house you live in) is use that as a feather in your cap, advise them that a gun has been present for as long as it has, and evidently there has not been a problem. Also your referees' will have an important roll in your application, and it might be uselful for your partner to write a letter of reference as well; as she has been living with you, this will hopefully inspire a bit more confidence in the issuing force.

Go for it and good luck, and if they do turn you down appeal, join BASC or CPSA as well.

DO one thing befor eyou submit your application. JOIN a SHOOTING ORGANISATION! I recomend BASC but there are others sACS etc as a beater you may be better with NGO or NOBS

http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/ (offer legal assistance)

http://www.nobs.org.uk/ (double check they offer insurance/ legal cover)

http://www.basc.org.uk/ (Best firearms dept in the business IMO insurance and legal/application advice)

http://www.sacs.org.uk/ (scottish )

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/ (mainly clay but insure all sports and activities)

I never knew that you had to declare motoring offences (i.e speeding)?! I thought it was just criminal offences?

I never declared my speeding fine on my shotgun licence, and the FEO never mentioned anything about it?!

You should.... as it is a "conviction"

Dude, I had some past naughtyness to own up to..........I also had a entry on my medical record that states that I suffer from uncontrolable bouts of rage and anger ( Doctor agreed that it was an error, but they won't delete it !! ).

I had meetings with the FEO and explained that I go shooting every sunday with my dad and brother...........so whilst I would like my own cert........it wouldn't stop me shooting if they refused !!!!!

Took 8 months of phone calls and letter writting..........plus I had joined the CPSA ( shows you are on the right path ). They finally let me slip the net and gave me a SGC. If you looked at the bare facts on paper you would probably think they were within their rights to refuse me.

I hope you have an understanding FEO / Cheif Constable etc

Be honest.........be polite..........be patient..............you never know mate !!!!

GOOD LUCK :good:

Edited by Danoi99

If your last conviction was ten years old then you should be okay, look up the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act on the net, it should tell your exactly what if any pre cons would disqualify you.

Like the advice the guys give on here, the worst thing you could do would not be to declare it, only takes the police seconds to check.

Every one is entitled to make mistakes, good luck, hope you get.

I'm just waiting on a letter from the beat I work on. Then she'll be winging her way towards the police station.

I've joined BASC about 5 months ago and have requested my criminal record which I've enclosed with the application.

I wrote a quick note explaining the facts and my current position regarding working, full driving licence etc

(Character reference from work and fellow shooters)

Added the fact there's already shotguns in the household (partners)

Also added I'd accept any restrictions they see fit and would love the opportunity to be a trusted law a biding citizen.

Everything will be crossed.

I believe it should be in the post no later than Thursday :)

Wish me luck.

I think you've got a good change actually.

Also regarding the motoring offenses you should declare them but the exact details are not available from the DVLA as I tried to get mine when I was applying for my SGC. DVLA said they don't keep the records after a few years. Parking tickets aren't a motoring offense either so you don't need to declare those.

do you have to declare speeding offence if you decide to go on the day course instead of collecting the points..my lad wants to put in for his sgc but went through a camera at 36mph as far as i know he hasnt been convicted of speeding,,,

do you have to declare speeding offence if you decide to go on the day course instead of collecting the points..my lad wants to put in for his sgc but went through a camera at 36mph as far as i know he hasnt been convicted of speeding,,,

No you dont.I did a speed awareness course and asked the chap hosting it the same question.