why is buying and selling a house

jasper3

why is it such a long winded affair .....

surly in this day and age, everything they want to know is on someones computer

sometimes its useless buyers and sellers, being unable to do simple tasks like post back forms and information requests. There are always third parties putting in time delays, like surveys, estate agents etc.

We have just moved and I found myself saying something to our solicitor I thought I would never utter to a man in their proffession - "Thanks you did a really efficient and quick job"!!

But usually you do have to hassle. hassle. hassle. You can see why it is the 3rd most stressful thing you do in your life after bereavement and divorce!!

There are more and more 'Private Sales' of houses taking place these days.

Solicitors do quite a few checks some quite uneccessary.

First they ascertain whether the vendor is the rightful owner, fully paid up and the house is theirs to sell, you are sometimes in a position to do that yourself.

Then, if there are any plans for new roads that may require the house you intend to buy to be demolished/compulsary purchase order, that can be done yourself through the local council offices or a common sense approach if it is a new build or the location of the house.

Then house survey to make sure the house isn't going to fall down or signs of land subsidance, that could be a common sense survey, depending on your ability.

I have known a few friends that have bought and sold houses purely by money changing hands and land registry notified.

Slightly off topic but in the village where I used to live, a stuck up old dear ran the local branch of Estate Agents and almost socially engineered who moved where. If she didn't think you were suitable, she would not handle your house or you would not receive particulars of a house you were interested in ( I am not exaggerating here!)

When my late mother-in-law wanted to move, we chased this woman for ages to come and value etc. She didn't respond and after a couple of days we worked out that we had a perfect triangle.

The buyer of m-I-ls house was selling to the chap who was selling his house to the m-I-l . Result!. No Estate Agent fees and when the old dear finally rang us back we explained that all three houses had been sold privately. She asked for how much and we said that that was private and goodbye.

It was so sweet.

The truth is everybody in between is ripping you off, from estate agents, surveyors to solicitors and thats fact.Anyone one who tells you different is either an estate agent, solicitor, or a surveyor.Last one I sold, a solicitor friend delt with it luckily the guy buying had cash( so no bank/building society ripping him off)and had the cash in the bank 2wks later.

Edited by Davyo

luckily, my cousin was my solicitor.

when we viewed the house we now own, we put an offer in straight away...

24 days later we picked the keys up and started work.

it sometimes helps to know someone in the trade....

Wow that's impressive, it took us over six months from the seller accepting the offer and us actually having the keys in our hand.

(No chain either)

Edited by hedd-wyn

There are more and more 'Private Sales' of houses taking place these days.

Solicitors do quite a few checks some quite uneccessary.

First they ascertain whether the vendor is the rightful owner, fully paid up and the house is theirs to sell, you are sometimes in a position to do that yourself.

Then, if there are any plans for new roads that may require the house you intend to buy to be demolished/compulsary purchase order, that can be done yourself through the local council offices or a common sense approach if it is a new build or the location of the house.

Then house survey to make sure the house isn't going to fall down or signs of land subsidance, that could be a common sense survey, depending on your ability.

I have known a few friends that have bought and sold houses purely by money changing hands and land registry notified.

but surely during the process of title change, the money needs to be in a regulated, bonded account, so no one can end up without their money and without a house. I think you pay for that peace of mind.

but surely during the process of title change, the money needs to be in a regulated, bonded account, so no one can end up without their money and without a house. I think you pay for that peace of mind.

Pretty messy from a money laundering perspective too. Given a mortgage company is going to be very wary of this type of sale I assume it is cash?

Mine was sorted in just over a week. Old lady going into a home no chain and my mum is a property solicitor which may have helped lol, oh and asked how much at the end, no charge. Her company even picked up survey fees etc. (well it cost me a bottle of scotch to her big boss to say thanks).

As said its who you know ;)

the Barn we are buying was showed to us by the seller, the estate agent rang him to arrange a viewing, he showed us the boundaries etc etc and as many of you know, i had the electric company out to price up, he met them for me

this , for me has worked out fantastic as he told me he would except a little less than asking price, also he is going to sort a few livestock out for me ,and also said he will show me the ropes as they say...

my gripe is really with the french property... its just barns and fields... the transaction should have gone through weeks ago.... but the bloody french seem to take so loooooooooong..i knew there was a 2 month period where the property gets offered to french farmers, but this is nearly 4 months....

looking on the positive side, we should be on our little small holding by the end of the year :yes: and being a sad ***, i have been playing with some design thingy :lol:

whatcouldbe_zpsf35308dc.jpg

Wow that's impressive, it took us over six months from the seller accepting the offer and us actually having the keys in our hand.

(No chain either)

i think that there was some good contributing factors with it,

it was a mortgage repo, so they just wanted it to move as quickly as possible (even though they still held us up by several days...)

then there was the fact that my cousin is a partner in the company so it took top priority.

to be fair though, we put the offer in and hadnt even had a mortgage offer at that point... so that was really a gamble, but it paid off.

mortgage repo's are usually a god way to go if you want it done quickly as the bank just dont want them sitting around...

Edited by brett1985