Dogs for wildfowling

Tinribz

I know of a few people who use chessies and they can have all of the above. To my understanding it is because there is a small gene pool which they come from in the uk.

But can be great dogs for wildfowling and are normally harder to train.

I have thought about trying one. But my big ginger lab is just as good in the water and as strong as any chessie I have seen. In the past years, so have decided to stick with the labs, I don't won't to worry about my dog attacking someone or another dog.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used a cocker for the last 9 odd years and never had any problems. She has even retrieved a fox for me once,(they can definitely shift more than you would expect).

Got a lab at the moment but I think a spaniel is probably the best all rounder. Folk just jump on the bandwagon and get Labradors but they are pretty plain-jane

Edited by wildfowler.250

One other benefit of a lab would be that you should be able to train one a bit better to do long distance retrieves via the whiste or hand signals. Struggle a little on the distance stuff with my cocker but that could just be my training.

Cheers

Flipper

I blame my training abilities as well :lol: mind you, last time I had to do a long retrieve, a seal had my wigeon before the dog got near the water!

Chessies don't out swim a Lab, to say so is just crazy. The only thing Chessies do that Labs don't is guard just about anything. Not all have an attitude problem but those that don't seem very aloof still. Proper cockers are a waste of time unless you only shoot duck and the retriever breeds are all far more patient at waiting. A good big dark coloured springer dog can make a decent fowling dog but they are as hard to find as hens teeth these days when small and mainly white seems to be the thing, they non the less get hellishly cold when wet compared to a lab.

Having worked a GWP on the marsh previously, a lab is just so much more relaxed about things waiting in muddy gutters for hours than any hunting breed. Powerful, double coat and not too tall (otherwise they are harder to hide) and the lab makes a perfect marsh dog. The added extra is if you don't strip the oils out of their coats with silly shampoo they arrive home dry and clean of mud (which will all just fall off on the journey back)

I have a chessie and two labs.

The chessie is all of the above and then some. They are formidable breed. Very very strong, loyal, determined and did I mention determined?

Unbelievable water dogs with incredible stamina. But his aggression towards other dogs and even people he didn't know was almost the end of him. I tried neutering him as a last option before having to get him put down. It took most of the steam out of him.

He no longer starts fights but by jingo he finishes them should any other dog be stupid enough to have a go.

Fiercely loyal to all my family.

He is 10 now and I won't be getting another. Labs all the way for me.

Edited by Big Al

Labrador for me too, mine does think he is half spaniel though as since he was very young he has been in the beating line with them. Out on the marsh he is brilliant, will wait in a muddy hole for 3-4-5 hours without moving, will retrieve anything and is as loyal a companion that i could ever wish for. Wildfowling is a complex part of our sport and the man and dog relationship is a massive part of it.

I have a black Cocker dog and he loves Wildfowling with me.

A mate I shoot with has a cocker bitch also a good dog.

Mine retrieves Canada's no problem off the marsh, a little powerhouse of a dog.

Their are some good water dogs like the Lagottos and water spaniels if you want something smaller than a lab.

I had a Lab and now have the Cocker would not change him for any other breed.

Each to their own but I like dockets as they do all I need beat pick up and fowling.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

I have a black Cocker dog and he loves Wildfowling with me.

A mate I shoot with has a cocker bitch also a good dog.

Mine retrieves Canada's no problem off the marsh, a little powerhouse of a dog.

Their are some good water dogs like the Lagottos and water spaniels if you want something smaller than a lab.

I had a Lab and now have the Cocker would not change him for any other breed.

Each to their own but I like dockets as they do all I need beat pick up and fowling.

Figgy

I hear this Cocker retrieving Canadas a lot but never see it Out of water a Canada Gander isn't going to be far off the weight of the dog with a wingspan of some 5ft and a fair amount of bulk (amounting to more than a Cocker in volume. Show us a Video of a Cocker carrying a big Canada and I will believe it, until then...... I realise a lot has to do with heart in the dog but there are limits

Lab, golden , or chessie from a good breeder with all its papers. I personally would say chessies are the ultimate fowling dog ,staminer, determination, strong and a coat like no other! I dont know of anyone with a stronger swiming dog than her,apart from some other chessies but as said before not for the faint harted you have to keep one step ahead. Mine wont start fight but will stand up for her self and wont let anyone elses dogs steal my game.also i wouldnt call her aloof, but a one mans dog. I wouldnt get one tho if your new to fowling and arnt sure if youll like it as these are out and out workers. A lab would suit best if your new to the game and d!ecide its not for you!

I hear this Cocker retrieving Canadas a lot but never see it Out of water a Canada Gander isn't going to be far off the weight of the dog with a wingspan of some 5ft and a fair amount of bulk (amounting to more than a Cocker in volume. Show us a Video of a Cocker carrying a big Canada and I will believe it, until then...... I realise a lot has to do with heart in the dog but there are limits

From a few years ago. Don't have video footage but I certainly didn't swim in after it!

Get a lab, a chesapeke bay retriever or a golden retriever these dogs are built for wildfowling, and please don't put a lovely cocker through the wildfowling drills they will not like It.

Atb SW

They like it a lot more than being left behind! I'd take a good cocker over a half trained lab any day. Lab would be your best choice but they aren't the be all and end all

post-11837-0-39561800-1381615047_thumb.jpg

They like it a lot more than being left behind! I'd take a good cocker over a half trained lab any day. Lab would be your best choice but they aren't the be all and end all

That was just my opinion, I wouldnt risk a cocker life where I do my wildfowling especially if I was out for geese on an island in a big swell.

Good job though on the cocker retieving a canada

Edited by strangford wildfowler

I have a chessie and two labs.

The chessie is all of the above and then some. They are formidable breed. Very very strong, loyal, determined and did I mention determined?

Unbelievable water dogs with incredible stamina. But his aggression towards other dogs and even people he didn't know was almost the end of him. I tried neutering him as a last option before having to get him put down. It took most of the steam out of him.

He no longer starts fights but by jingo he finishes them should any other dog be stupid enough to have a go.

Fiercely loyal to all my family.

He is 10 now and I won't be getting another. Labs all the way for me.

Glad to hear Woody is still about.

Im not in the best of form today' and i will have to defend the Chessie. Although they can be aggressive ' From my experience No more so than other Breeds.

i was out this morning after Geese and my boy got pretty muddy as the tide was out.After flight I took him to another spot where i knew there would be deep water for a couple of stick retrieve's to get him cleaned up. I was about to leave when this fella appeared with two labs.I quickly put the lead on my boy "just in case." i was expecting him to do the same.But No..He through something into the water and one of them went in after' the other A big headed Chunky yellow lab came tearing at us' I roared at him but on he came and i pulled my boy back but the b****** snook in behind and attacked my boy from the back. I let him have enough lead to defend himself before pulling him away. The owner then approached apoligising and i was pretty mad and told him he should have them dogs on a lead.He said sorry again and off he went. My dog is now lame and laying out the back in a sulky mood. Im livid as this not the first time this has happened. Same thing with a couple of Golden retrievers a few years ago. No squaring up first' straight in there. My Dog if let loose would have had the lab and Goldies for breakfast. I can safely say that the next unleashed dog heads in my direction to have a go' that I will be taking the lead of my Boy.I hate dogs fighting but enough is enough.And if it results in the owners having a Sett2 then so be it.

Rant over' But as I say the chessie can be aggresive but no more so than some other breeds.I have seen some very aggressive Springer spanials,Labs and pointers down through the years.

As far as a Wildfowling Dog goes' in my opinion Nothing Comes close to a Chesapeake for all round Water work.Other Breeds may be well capable of handling most situations But a chessie will handle them all with ease.

I probably will always have a Chessie' But The Irish water spanial is another pretty determined breed and ideal for Fowling as thats what it was bred for.