Dogs for wildfowling

Tinribz

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could always train it to stay put ,not hard, cant stand any dog that runs in there is no need in any situation for it ,a well trained dog can be sent in seconds and pick up which ever bird is down and if your lucky enough to shoot 2 you can chose which one to pick first .also what if a seal turns up and your dogs run in I bet it wouldn't come back until it had got its retrieve. my rant over .

I have a springer and hes ace for wildfowling. the trick is to let them run around a bit rather than walk to heel on the way out to the marsh to get the sting out of their tail. he will sit completely still for hours after that, well apart from his tail which just dosnt stop!. if ive got decoys out, he will not take his eyes off them and just sits waiting until he gets a bird to retreive. im lucky with mine as he is a big lad and equally as big as any lab bitch that ive seen.

Lab, golden , or chessie from a good breeder with all its papers. I personally would say chessies are the ultimate fowling dog ,staminer, determination, strong and a coat like no other! I dont know of anyone with a stronger swiming dog than her,apart from some other chessies but as said before not for the faint harted you have to keep one step ahead. Mine wont start fight but will stand up for her self and wont let anyone elses dogs steal my game.also i wouldnt call her aloof, but a one mans dog. I wouldnt get one tho if your new to fowling and arnt sure if youll like it as these are out and out workers. A lab would suit best if your new to the game and d!ecide its not for you!

They certainly have a good coat, but so does a correctly bred Lab that is kept kennelled. As Labs are often kept indoors and its not important for a trial dog to have the true double waterproof coat SOME don't carry that trait in their breeding BUT they should by breed spec and it is totally water resistant. Literally only the top shell and the bald belly gets wet (as long as you don't shampoo all the natural oils out and leave them sleeping by the fire)

Your Chessie is about the best natured I have seen, most others I have come across are downright dodgey

Over my wildfowling years, 54 of them to be exact, I have seen many types of dog used for wildfowling I even remember one guy who trained a German Shepherd to retrieve, it certainly had a firm grip but for me it has to be Labradors any colour except chocolate.

Jim

roy1_zpsed52b3ef.jpg

nothing wrong with choc labs if you can train a dog properly they are just as good as eny other colour

When he gets bored he'll just decide to wander off and go for a swim and a walkabout, he doesn't run in though

To be honest years ago I had a yellow lab setter cross best gundog I ever trained ,but she would go for a walk when bored on a long flight ,had to keep an eye on her but she always managed to outsmart me ,says a lot about my iq.

jules

Irish water spaniel?

my bro had one a while back wouldn't retrieve and bit people ,got run over he wasn't that sad about it sorted the problem for him.

Irish water spaniel?

Heres a link on them http://www.dognameswoof.com/blog/2007/02/boatswain-irish-water-spaniel.htm

I have known many and they where all great Workers' A bit mad though and head strong. The coat is ideal for Fowling' the only prob with it is maintaining and caring for it.

It all boils down to everyone's own preference and what he wants from a dog.

For coastal fowling the Chessie for me has no equals.

Your true fowler is an unsociable Character when it comes to Sport and prefers his own company. So me and my Dog are a perfect match.

A lab Would be the most sensible choice if your new to the sport' but i prefer a Dog with Character.

I'm thinking of getting a Toller for my next dog they look ideal my friend has one its a very strong swimmer and completely unfazed by cold and conditions, it's also a cracking picking up dog on the shoot, a nice size as well not to small or big good looking dog also imo

I'm thinking of getting a Toller for my next dog they look ideal my friend has one its a very strong swimmer and completely unfazed by cold and conditions, it's also a cracking picking up dog on the shoot, a nice size as well not to small or big good looking dog also imo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Scotia_Duck_Tolling_Retriever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Scotia_Duck_Tolling_Retriever

I had one and would love another. Just can't justify £1k for a dog at the moment :no:

I had one and would love another. Just can't justify £1k for a dog at the moment :no:

I know I nearly paid that for my goldies worth every penny in my opinion, but really love there personality ideal in my opinion and something a little different than the common breeds

I woud be interested to hear about people with working duck tolls . I have never seen one work . A couple of pet ones up my way but they had to travel south for them. Bonny looking dog but looks like mud wouldnt mix with that soft long coat

They seem to be quite repellant to the mud for some reason very similar coat to my goldies which have no problems with the mud, they are a stunning dog like a small goldie really but a little more hyper, probably why it appeals to me

I have a springer and hes ace for wildfowling. the trick is to let them run around a bit rather than walk to heel on the way out to the marsh to get the sting out of their tail. he will sit completely still for hours after that, well apart from his tail which just dosnt stop!. if ive got decoys out, he will not take his eyes off them and just sits waiting until he gets a bird to retreive. im lucky with mine as he is a big lad and equally as big as any lab bitch that ive seen.

I'd agree with you there once they get a run about they are ok at sitting I trust my dogs reactions he sometimes sees things before me!!