Dogs for wildfowling

Tinribz

Any dog is better than no dog when you are fowling, and its no coincidence that there are more Labradors out there than any other dog. I have owned spaniels, Labradors and Chesapeake's and all have accompanied me on the marsh, without doubt spaniels are not comfortable sitting still in cold weather, its not what they are breed for. Both Labradors and Chesapeake's are breed for retrieving in cold water Chesapeake's were breed not only to retrieve but to guard as well and very good they are at both, just because they look like a big Labrador people assume they have the same temperament "they don't". Labradors for me every time on the foreshore and spaniels when I'm rough shooting but if I could only have one dog it would be any of the retriever's as wildfowling is my first love.

HB.

Edited by House Boat

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loverly looking goldies tigger! I'm going to be after another dog next year, planning on a fox red lab but if i proper working bred goldie game up i dont think i'd be able to say no!

Marsh warden where i shoot has just got a goldie pup, its the fastest moving goldie i have ever seen, there must be some greyhound in it past :lol:

Loverly looking goldies tigger! I'm going to be after another dog next year, planning on a fox red lab but if i proper working bred goldie game up i dont think i'd be able to say no!

Marsh warden where i shoot has just got a goldie pup, its the fastest moving goldie i have ever seen, there must be some greyhound in it past :lol:

Thanks, lol yeah mine must have whippet in there somewhere, one thing I have noticed is labs mature sooner than what labs do....

Some setter blood way back I believe, that would explain the speed.

To be honest we brush them thoroughly twice a week and get very little hair off of them, we have a pet lab (not my choice my partner already had him when I first met her) and we are always finding his black hairs everywhere had one in my dinner yesterday and my mint choc chip ice cream as well, when we went to the Maldives a few years ago we were unpacking our clothes on the bed and a few of his hairs fell on our white sheets she started howling as soon as she clapped eyes on them picked them up and put them on her bedside table so she was close to him haha loser........

Edited by tigger

To be honest we brush them thoroughly twice a week and get very little hair off of them, we have a pet lab (not my choice my partner already had him when I first met her) and we are always finding his black hairs everywhere had one in my dinner yesterday and my mint choc chip ice cream as well, when we went to the Maldives a few years ago we were unpacking our clothes on the bed and a few of his hairs fell on our white sheets she started howling as soon as she clapped eyes on them picked them up and put them on her bedside table so she was close to him haha loser........

Crickey, have you considered a child :lol:

Most breeds of dog will retrieve from the sea but some are bred for it and others are not. All cars will drive form a to b but if you wanted to take up racing you would,nt expect your family saloon to be able to compete with race prepared cars.

If your serious about fowling then get a dog that's bred for the job, has a waterproof coat and is of a sufficant size to deal with the conditions. My Lab will go into cover but nothing compared to a spanial a spanial will retrieve from the sea but not as well as a Lab. As the conditions get colder a spainials coat is simply not upto sitting wet in a howling gale.

Glad to hear Woody is still about.

Im not in the best of form today' and i will have to defend the Chessie. Although they can be aggressive ' From my experience No more so than other Breeds.

i was out this morning after Geese and my boy got pretty muddy as the tide was out.After flight I took him to another spot where i knew there would be deep water for a couple of stick retrieve's to get him cleaned up. I was about to leave when this fella appeared with two labs.I quickly put the lead on my boy "just in case." i was expecting him to do the same.But No..He through something into the water and one of them went in after' the other A big headed Chunky yellow lab came tearing at us' I roared at him but on he came and i pulled my boy back but the ******* snook in behind and attacked my boy from the back. I let him have enough lead to defend himself before pulling him away. The owner then approached apoligising and i was pretty mad and told him he should have them dogs on a lead.He said sorry again and off he went. My dog is now lame and laying out the back in a sulky mood. Im livid as this not the first time this has happened. Same thing with a couple of Golden retrievers a few years ago. No squaring up first' straight in there. My Dog if let loose would have had the lab and Goldies for breakfast. I can safely say that the next unleashed dog heads in my direction to have a go' that I will be taking the lead of my Boy.I hate dogs fighting but enough is enough.And if it results in the owners having a Sett2 then so be it.

Rant over' But as I say the chessie can be aggresive but no more so than some other breeds.I have seen some very aggressive Springer spanials,Labs and pointers down through the years.

As far as a Wildfowling Dog goes' in my opinion Nothing Comes close to a Chesapeake for all round Water work.Other Breeds may be well capable of handling most situations But a chessie will handle them all with ease.

I probably will always have a Chessie' But The Irish water spanial is another pretty determined breed and ideal for Fowling as thats what it was bred for.

How's it going? Well worked out yet again.

I understand what you say, but the fact that a chessie is so strong means I won't be taking the chance again. As you well know, when a chessie takes the hump, his size and strength can make him a formidable sight fro canine and human alike.

He is currently kennelled with my labs, but I am considering separating him. He is getting old, sore and grumpy (like me) and if he some day turns on one of the labs he could do serious damage or worse.

But my respect for the breed will always remain -an out and out purist wildfowling breed. They take no **** from nobody and are fiercely loyal one-man dogs.

Me and my father where thinking of getting another dog for wildfowling aswell as company for the lab we already have, father them mentioned a chessie but he was put of by the size of them, I turned round and says there's no difference between a chessie and my current lab, cause he can quite happily rest his paws on my shoulders and I'm touching 6 ft

How's it going? Well worked out yet again.

I understand what you say, but the fact that a chessie is so strong means I won't be taking the chance again. As you well know, when a chessie takes the hump, his size and strength can make him a formidable sight fro canine and human alike.

He is currently kennelled with my labs, but I am considering separating him. He is getting old, sore and grumpy (like me) and if he some day turns on one of the labs he could do serious damage or worse.

But my respect for the breed will always remain -an out and out purist wildfowling breed. They take no **** from nobody and are fiercely loyal one-man dogs.

Grand sir :good:

My fella is back to himself and in hindsight I think it was more of a case of some arthritis flaring up as he was involved in an RTA a few yrs back' and he had a good work out the other morning' and not so much any harm down by the lab.

I understand totally your situation' as my lab "now gone to the happy hunting Grounds" got a sore touch from him as he got older/blinder and would not tolerate the old dogs ways.

They did get on grand at first and became best of friends for a few yrs but would have to be fed separately .

Hope all is well and best of luck for the rest of the season. most of mine will be spent baby sitting :rolleyes:

Strangford..What are they feeding you over there..? 14yrs old and 6ft..? youl be a peter crouch by the time you are 18 :yes:

Hi im thinking of taking up wildfowling next season and im thinking of geting a cocker spaniel does anyone use cockers for wildfowling and will they handle bigger birds like geese cheers ribz !

If you look at the replys you've had to this post, I'm sure you'll see that the "majority of shooters" are recommending a " labrador" for your wildfowling companion....springers and all the other various dogs mentioned have their qualities but the word "labrador" keeps being the most recommended to you, I've noticed that some reply's you get on these forums are from people just wanting to disagree because they happen to have a brilliant spaniel or whatever, which they probably do! but the majority cant be wrong, go with the highest percentage of peoples choices, its usually the best advice.

good luck.

Hope all is well and best of luck for the rest of the season. most of mine will be spent baby sitting :rolleyes:

:

Cheers Keith. Hope you and yours are well. I'll bag a few wigeon for you and make the most of the times you're out.

Best of luck.

Edited by Big Al

Cheers Keith. Hope you and yours are well. I'll bag a few wigeon for you and make the most of the times you're out.

Best of luck.

A Sir' You Blew my Cover :blush: lol.

All is as well as it could be I suppose.Changed times in the Building trade' with not much happening..But having Concentrated on 3 things Work'Wildfowling and Woman for over twenty yrs.it had to catch up om me at some stage :sad1: Im no where near as an aggressive fowler these days and more the family Man' and the odd trip out is enough to keep me Going.The head peace is the important bit.

Your a busy man yourself' So give them dogs plenty to do when you Get out,.

Thanks and Best of luck also.

Me and my father where thinking of getting another dog for wildfowling aswell as company for the lab we already have, father them mentioned a chessie but he was put of by the size of them, I turned round and says there's no difference between a chessie and my current lab, cause he can quite happily rest his paws on my shoulders and I'm touching 6 ft

I am getting a picture of a guy with a very long neck, like a Swan :lol:

I share the views of most people who posted, it has to be a Labrador for me. They are strong swimmers so they don't get bashed about in bad conditions, and obviously are good natural retrievers and can handle geese far better than smaller breeds. Our dog (lab) had a job retrieving a winged grey out of a thick boggy reed bed last year, I wouldn't have fancied a cockers chances to be honest. But the fact you have a dog there is the important thing in my opinion.

strangford wildfowler your not the only one with a huge Lab, on a walk we go on, we sometimes bump into this massive black lab. He is a monster! So they do exist.. and it scares the living daylights out of ours!!

If you like labs and are going Wildfowling or picking up a lab is best.

But for a all rounder with plenty of character get a cocker, my fowling is on the marsh not foreshore so my stocky cocker is more than up to the task.

When I had my lab I took him to the beach often, wasnt fowling back then,threw a ball into the sea for him the dog went in after it but the tide was running more than could be seen dog and ball were soon a way out,dog couldn't hear the whistle over the noise of the surf and wind, only came back when looked behind him and seen me signal him. He took an absolute age to swim back and I thought I might loose him as he started to tire, he is a big very fit dog and the North Sea nearly took him. Sometimes even a lab can't retrieve the quarry due to conditions. There is no chance I'd put my cocker in the same water even with his neoprene vest on.

Depends on your Wildfowling and other shooting requirements, kennelling or live in house restraints as to what dog is best for you. But you have to like the breed or it'll never work.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Love reading all your views but your never going to retrieve every bird you shoot Its a fact no matters how good your dog is.

But for a all rounder with plenty of character get a cocker, my fowling is on the marsh not foreshore so my stocky cocker is more than up to the task.

I change my mind a cocker would be grand if you where on a marsh but not the foreshore, when I come to think there is not much weight difference between a mallard and reared pheasant, which they are quite happy retrieving.