Dogs for wildfowling

Tinribz

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff, shall hand the dog the gun when the next pintail comes screaming through :lol:

I your case this could be very true some people need all the help they can get, ( just pass the gun to the dog ) he will probably have a better average.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have sat out on marshes all around the UK with Cheasapeakes .. On the ouse washes I sit out from say 5am to gone 5pm then a hour for a bite and back out under the moon to say midnight ,and never had a chessie give up yet ,its me that normally gives up !!!!! And having put that ,Its your dog and if it does what you want then great !! as we all go home with the best Dog !!!

Trouble with Chessies is Kent like you say not a lot of good at out swimming a lab ,I mean my latest had two canadians down one close but a strong gander diving hissing and going for the dog it ducked her once and that was its undoing when she came up she just powered in and got it by the neck and back it came dam thing was then trying to peck me dog sent for the second dead on water 80 yds out now away on flow to 300yds but dog just did it with ease ,but then thats a short swim so you are probaly right ..Also Kent if you do ever get to come for a flight with me I will have to bring the second boat ,,no not for you for my dog so you are safe with me in the front one ,but I will also have the obligotry lump of 4 x2 so you can protect yourself from my dog !!!

Like I said before if your dog does what you want ,it dont matter what the breed is ,you will always be taking the best dog home at the end of the day !!!!

Edited by riptide

Trouble with Chessies is Kent like you say not a lot of good at out swimming a lab ,I mean my latest had two canadians down one close but a strong gander diving hissing and going for the dog it ducked her once and that was its undoing when she came up she just powered in and got it by the neck and back it came dam thing was then trying to peck me dog sent for the second dead on water 80 yds out now away on flow to 300yds but dog just did it with ease ,but then thats a short swim so you are probaly right ..Also Kent if you do ever get to come for a flight with me I will have to bring the second boat ,,no not for you for my dog so you are safe with me in the front one ,but I will also have the obligotry lump of 4 x2 so you can protect yourself from my dog !!!

Like I said before if your dog does what you want ,it dont matter what the breed is ,you will always be taking the best dog home at the end of the day !!!!

It beggers belief why someone would want or be proud of a shooting dog that couldn't be trusted not to have a go at someone. Not all Chesapeakes are like that, thank goodness but this type of temperament fault is a fair reason why they aint more popular in the UK. A human aggressive dog at heel is akin to walking round with a loaded gun with a suspect safety catch IMO, do I want to be near either of those on the marsh? No thanks

If Carlsberg made a water retriever this would be the best in the world.

Nothing I have seen comes close to a good stocky standard poodle in the water.

And this is why they are so popular :lol:

It beggers belief why someone would want or be proud of a shooting dog that couldn't be trusted not to have a go at someone. Not all Chesapeakes are like that, thank goodness but this type of temperament fault is a fair reason why they aint more popular in the UK. A human aggressive dog at heel is akin to walking round with a loaded gun with a suspect safety catch IMO, do I want to be near either of those on the marsh? No thanks

I think you've just missed that riptide is taking the mick!

Sorry to say Kent but my dry humour was well lost on you !!!!!! My daughter was bitten by a ----------- Lab ,yet she was brought up with Chesapeaks !!

when I am out with club members on our game shoots and I am asked to walk a hedgrow and can some guns go with me ,they all want to come ,due to Chessie finding game ,on res shoots its the Chessies who find the lost birds and nail the divers that need colecting . and on the marsh well I dont boast about my Chessies I let others who shoot with me do that ..I dont push them on to all and sundry as they are only for a few ,

But what I dont do is rubbish other breeds with infomation that is out of date ,not correct ,and old hat .Times have moved on in fact I feel Chessies are loosing some of what makes them so special as we are living in a diffrent age ..But to say they cant swim as good as a lab ( Note I aint said Better ! ) well that about comfirms my view that you must be speaking with limited knowledge on Chesapeakes .. Sorry you did not or see I was having a dig or maybe you did and wanted to use my words as yet another example of why not to get a Chessie !!!!

Keep on Fowling !!!

Seen in many a street pulling their owner along :lol: Seriously though dangerous dogs cab be obedient, but it only goes so far and who wants to watch their dog like a hawk

As a general rule of thumb I'd have to disagree but it does depend on your definition of a dangerous dog I suppose!

Seen in many a street pulling their owner along :lol: Seriously though dangerous dogs cab be obedient, but it only goes so far and who wants to watch their dog like a hawk

Yes they can I think there called police dogs

I've been fortunate and seen many dogs and have seen good and bad in all breeds

Chesapeakes are awesome dogs IMO hard for the inexperienced as there are few to chose from and even less experienced in there training that are available to help

Labs are good easier for a novice as there is a lot more to chose from and a lot of people knowlagable in there training

As the man said the dog that does your bidding and take home is the best

My personal choice golden retriever (swamp collie)

We have dogs to work for us that work is limited to realistcly 40 days a year so have one you like I believe that's what makes us individual

All the best

Of

Note just my view on it

Sorry to say Kent but my dry humour was well lost on you !!!!!! My daughter was bitten by a ----------- Lab ,yet she was brought up with Chesapeaks !!

when I am out with club members on our game shoots and I am asked to walk a hedgrow and can some guns go with me ,they all want to come ,due to Chessie finding game ,on res shoots its the Chessies who find the lost birds and nail the divers that need colecting . and on the marsh well I dont boast about my Chessies I let others who shoot with me do that ..I dont push them on to all and sundry as they are only for a few ,

But what I dont do is rubbish other breeds with infomation that is out of date ,not correct ,and old hat .Times have moved on in fact I feel Chessies are loosing some of what makes them so special as we are living in a diffrent age ..But to say they cant swim as good as a lab ( Note I aint said Better ! ) well that about comfirms my view that you must be speaking with limited knowledge on Chesapeakes .. Sorry you did not or see I was having a dig or maybe you did and wanted to use my words as yet another example of why not to get a Chessie !!!!

Keep on Fowling !!!

Are you actually joking again? I wouldn't say that a Chessie cannot swim as well as a Lab, cant see how you got that because it isn't my thought at all . The fact and it is a fact that the chessie is particularly prone to temperament issues is real thing and part of their original breed trait (there a few members on here who have admitted as such and I know a member of the breed committee who says as much!. Heck I even looked long and hard at getting one (indeed the wife still wants one) but although I know two very good Chessies in this respect I find for every sound dog you can find two that are not and are commonly very much the other way. I fully expect you can find aggressive and downright dangerous dogs in all breeds, I chose a lab as my current wildfowling dog for the very reason that although I have come across a odd one with poor temperament it remains the most popular breed in the world today because of its reputation for the exact reverse.

If you have this strange sense of humour ( I couldn't use the description "dry" for it personally) why not use smileys? because its a humour that seems very personal to you or just perhaps just a poor excuse?

As a general rule of thumb I'd have to disagree but it does depend on your definition of a dangerous dog I suppose!

A dangerous dog can come in many forms, not only in the unmastered, untrained dominant dog. A PPD or Police Dog is certainly dangerous its just its got a better improved safety catch! That said a nervous dog can be as or more dangerous than an outwardly human aggressive one as at least the latter lets you know its full intentions from the get go.

I suppose a dangerous dog is one with a fault, some faults can be fixed like the brakes on a car or the safety on a gun though they need someone to spot they are faulty first and then someone with the knowledge to fix them. other faults unfortunately cannot be fixed as they are inherent to the design of said item

like the car or gun the most dangerous dog of all is the one with faults the owner does not except are there or gets complacent about

A dangerous dog can come in many forms, not only in the unmastered, untrained dominant dog. A PPD or Police Dog is certainly dangerous its just its got a better improved safety catch! That said a nervous dog can be as or more dangerous than an outwardly human aggressive one as at least the latter lets you know its full intentions from the get go.

I suppose a dangerous dog is one with a fault, some faults can be fixed like the brakes on a car or the safety on a gun though they need someone to spot they are faulty first and then someone with the knowledge to fix them. other faults unfortunately cannot be fixed as they are inherent to the design of said item

like the car or gun the most dangerous dog of all is the one with faults the owner does not except are there or gets complacent about

As I said its down to definition. I wouldn't class a Police dog as a dangerous dog and neither would I a Chessies with an enhanced guard instinct.

Well kent we all have our views ,back on page two of this post yours was along the lines of "" Chessies don't out swim a Lab, to say so is just crazy. "" So mine have done just that a few times now in harsh conditions were the labs have given up !!! And my Chessie just carried on ...Having said that it does not mean every Chessie will or that every Lab will .Its down to the indiviual dog and its charecter ..One of the problems is that the Labs of today seem to get picked from Field Trial lines were its noted how many red lines their are on the pedigree (Denoting high awards and champ status) But the great majority of these Labs have fine coats with no real body or even sufficent undercoat ,and also erring on the smaller racee type .. Not whats needed for a fowling dog !! But their we go you stick with the breed you like and I will do the same but if your going to spout on about what the majority of chessies are like ,please get your facts right !

Oh and ANTHONYCHEZ Denshaw it is on Sunday for me ,but not sure how mine will pick Dummys up with a muzzel on due to temprement!!!!!!!

Well kent we all have our views ,back on page two of this post yours was along the lines of "" Chessies don't out swim a Lab, to say so is just crazy. "" So mine have done just that a few times now in harsh conditions were the labs have given up !!! And my Chessie just carried on ...Having said that it does not mean every Chessie will or that every Lab will .Its down to the indiviual dog and its charecter ..One of the problems is that the Labs of today seem to get picked from Field Trial lines were its noted how many red lines their are on the pedigree (Denoting high awards and champ status) But the great majority of these Labs have fine coats with no real body or even sufficent undercoat ,and also erring on the smaller racee type .. Not whats needed for a fowling dog !! But their we go you stick with the breed you like and I will do the same but if your going to spout on about what the majority of chessies are like ,please get your facts right !

Oh and ANTHONYCHEZ Denshaw it is on Sunday for me ,but not sure how mine will pick Dummys up with a muzzel on due to temprement!!!!!!!

There are a lot of dogs out there in any one breed and they aint all equal, the two breeds are equally capable in water. On trial lines I agree but then again not all trial dogs are equal either, thin coated whippet Labs that don't even make the real breed std are not up to hard wildfowling I agree. My own Lab dog was sired by a Top FTCH that placed very high in two consecutive Ret. Champoinships and is built well, loved water from a very early age and has a coat as waterproof as a seal and it took me near two years to find the one I wanted

BTW Antony's bitch I rate in type and temperament and the breeder used imported American sperm to produce her, what does that say about the gene pool in the UK?