Gas and Electric up 8.2%

unapalomablanca

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like a right scrooge after reading what some of you pay for your gas/electric :lol: I pay £13 a month for electric and £1 month for me gas. The large wood burner does help through the winter as last year my central heating wasn't on once as its only a 1 bed bungalow with an 11kw multi fuel stove in the sitting room which keeps the whole place too hot any many a time sit with the French doors wide open just to cool the place down. :yes:

We already have Bradwell thank you, so balance requires one due west in you know where :yes: .

If you have one then you are already experienced, and should have no trouble with a couple more,in fact we should just make Essex the site in the uk that all the stations are built,then we will have them all in one place to keep an eye on them :good::lol:

This side of the country is already sinking, so any additional load needs to be opposite to counter .

If you have one then you are already experienced, and should have no trouble with a couple more,in fact we should just make Essex the site in the uk that all the stations are built,then we will have them all in one place to keep an eye on them :good::lol:

How do you reduce emissions without it costing money? They are run for profit so the only way is by using financial 'incentives'.

It's fairly obvious wind power won't be enough , yet politicians just sign up for EEC directives and then can't meet them. Bradwell in essex is decommissioned then they decide they now need neculear power stations. I've no objection to any company making a profit, not even a French or German company. How ever I don't consider increased prices to be a financial incentive, more a deterrent

My electric costs £40/month. I have the tv, laptop, phone charger and lights in constantly.

I don't feel hard done to?

Equally, I live in an old house with poor insulation and bottled gas for heating. Not been on yet this year as it's not been needed.

Cost per unit is going up, but controlling the units we use is far easier and do-able?

The only bit that bugs me is if I buy electric and gas I get it cheaper - but I don't have gas therefore am not allowed the best electric price. That sucks.

You with Scottish power? Ours is the same, £40 a month and at the end of each quarter we pay the extra that we've gone over, usually about £14 a month so not massive. Our 47kg bottles of gas cost £65 and each bottle lasts about 4 months ish. The only heating we use is a small log burner, stack it up high for an hour and the whole house is warm if we leave the doors open to the bedrooms.

If anyone reading this hasn't got a log burner, I can't reccomend them highly enough.

Its becoming more than alarming for many people now. I also don't believe the companies are doing it for some greedy spiteful reason. To me its simple, coal fired gas stations closing, no nuclear replacement, ludicrous windmills, 'green initiatives' pumping up everybodys bill, is it any wonder?

Can you imagine that there are people who have plotted this outcome in the name of propaganda? Great Britain cant even heat itself wihout worry, and yet we can save the world!

We need to start worrying about the old lady down the road this winter. All this happens when you let the weirdy beards have their twisted way.

watch this space

KW

I'm all for nuclear, but always thought Essex would be the best place to put a station,after all no one would miss it if it went glow in the dark :whistling:

So am I, but It doesn't matter where we put them. France, which very sensibly relys on nuclear power, has sited most of its reactors on its north coast so that in the event of a meltdown - probably caused by someone going on strike - the prevailing south westerly wind will carry the fall-out away from France and over England.

And they're building more with money from British tax payers which our governments have showered on French energy companies, among others, to ruin our land and seascape with useless wind farms.

So am I, but It doesn't matter where we put them. France, which very sensibly relys on nuclear power, has sited most of its reactors on its north coast so that in the event of a meltdown - probably caused by someone going on strike - the prevailing south westerly wind will carry the fall-out away from France and over England.

And they're building more with money from British tax payers which our governments have showered on French energy companies, among others, to ruin our land and seascape with useless wind farms.

Sounds about right mate. But les us not forget profit is not a dirty word lol.

Karpman

You with Scottish power? Ours is the same, £40 a month and at the end of each quarter we pay the extra that we've gone over, usually about £14 a month so not massive. Our 47kg bottles of gas cost £65 and each bottle lasts about 4 months ish. The only heating we use is a small log burner, stack it up high for an hour and the whole house is warm if we leave the doors open to the bedrooms.

If anyone reading this hasn't got a log burner, I can't reccomend them highly enough.

Same here. No central heating, one log burner and that's it. It mid winter it runs 24 hours a day, barely ticking over and the house is never cold however severe the weather. My house has a thatched roof and walls two ft thick made of chalk cob. No toxic insulation and no double glazing, just thick curtains. They don't build them like that any more - they're not allowed to. It wouldn't comply with UK building or EU thermo-efficiency regs. I'd have to build a cold, flimsy, noisy, chemically impregnated dog kennel and pay massive energy bills like everyone else. Thank goodness we've got politicians who are construction experts or we'd all be living in horrible warm, quiet, organic, cheap to run vernacular buildings that are easy on the eye. And then where would we be?

What bugs me is the energy companies give the sob story about their suppliers putting up their prices, the cost of maintaining the delivery systems etc etc. Then three months down the line they announce their profits! Surely a small cut in profits would not hurt them, but would definitely be a help to millions of customers. at the end of the day a lot of this is down to corporate greed as far as I am concerned.

They make profits because they are well run. Our energy costs are amongst the lowest onthe EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24238708

Yes but I doubt it takes into account such factors as. It says comparison is not easy and I believe that bit. How the **** can the uk be compared with Spain.

They perhaps pay more but I bet they use a quarter of what the average household uses in Britain. And the whole saga is playing out again, let people have a slice of the pie and they don't kick off when your selling there regulated amenities off.

Let me guess what the future holds. Moaning about the cost of sending a letter and the **** service received.

Karpman

Yes but I doubt it takes into account such factors as. It says comparison is not easy and I believe that bit. How the **** can the uk be compared with Spain.

They perhaps pay more but I bet they use a quarter of what the average household uses in Britain. And the whole saga is playing out again, let people have a slice of the pie and they don't kick off when your selling there regulated amenities off.

Let me guess what the future holds. Moaning about the cost of sending a letter and the **** service received.

Karpman

If you look the graph it is comparing by pence per Kwh. Perhaps they need less total energy than us, but it does get cold in Spain in winter, and they tend to use more air con in summer.

Nobody likes high energy prices, but the fault doesn't law with energy companies.

Its funny how things go, where I live, chimney sweeps are starting up, stove sellers and installers are doing good business, logs are flying into peoples sheds, and any wood left laying about soon disappears, it could be the year 1913 all over again. At least you can get some sort of alternative if you try.

If you look the graph it is comparing by pence per Kwh. Perhaps they need less total energy than us, but it does get cold in Spain in winter, and they tend to use more air con in summer.

Nobody likes high energy prices, but the fault doesn't law with energy companies.

Absolutely right. One mans heat is another mans cold. The natives of hotter countries are acclimatised to their weather but colder periods are cold to them and thus they need heating whereas we from northern climes visiting may find it hot even in their winter. Ever been in a desert? Intense heat in the day, often freezing at night.