Tail Docking

Elby

Why are dogs docked and dew clawed

The vet I went to said its completely a waste of time and cruel ???

a shooting friend of mine had to have his springers tail amputated due to infection caused by stubble rubbing and infecting it ,he bought it with a long tail but the pain it suffered to the dog when he was 2 I presume it was far worse than a few minutes of discomfort when it was 3 days old. Edited by delburt0

April 2007 al4x. Won't forget it. The introduction of one of the most stupid Scottish laws there is.

Many Scottish breeders with contacts in England are getting round it by whelping the bitch there.

I would rather not have a spaniel than have an undocked one, I've seen the damage that can be done (and the vet bills!) too many times.

Rab had to have his amputated in his first year of working and it was a way more painful procedure than it would have been if he had been docked when they should be but obviously Scottish law prevents it.Jakes already gets ripped when working heavy cover so this season there is a good chance he will have to have his amputated too which again could have been prevented by docking early doors but theres a severe lack of common sense in this law.

Going to show my ignorance of the docking law down south.

But i remember reading some terrier boys complaining that they can only dock pure bred working dogs, ie Border, JRT etc but they couldn't dock any crooss bred terriers, that may explain why the sprockers weren't docked. I mind cause they were saying wot a crazy law

Do dogs have to be KC registered to dock or only chipped?

Althou i may be wrong

That is the law in wales you can dock a jack russell or a lakie but not a jack/lakie cross. You can dock a springer and a cocker but not a sprocker,the law is an ***.My vet told me when I had my last litter of Jacks docked that my pups have to be chipped but not necessarily by the vet that docked them

Geordie

I had my Labrador's tail amputated three years ago.

He damaged it originally by banging it on furniture around the house and the tip refused to heal. We often returned home to find blood spattered all over the walls and even the ceiling. The vet, a very sensible young lady with her own working dogs, had no problems about amputation and with the aid of a general anaesthetic she cut his tail down to leave a stump of 9''.

The dog has been very happy ever since. His tail healed very well.

There are guidelines on this subject for vets, but I understand many will not entertain Tail docking under any circumstances.

One of my dogs is a Boxer and is a traditional Boxer at that-he's docked because at 7 years old he was done pre ban.Last year when he was in for his booster my vet just happened to make a remark about him being docked by saying "oh,did they cut your tail off?" in a childlike voice.

I asked him (perfectly calmly) what he had against tail docking.He said its un-necessary,cruel and deprives them from doing something which nature intended ie wagging. I replied "but you almost bully people into having their dogs castrated and spayed so are you not depriving them of doing something which nature intended like breeding?"

He turned round to his computer and said "we're done".

I was always pro choice where tail docking was concerned in that if you wanted a pup with a tail you asked the breeder not to dock.However,the RSPCA went for an easy target and eventually got it banned.Funny though how they wont even contemplate trying to get halal and kosher banned because they know the stigma of being labeled racist frightens the bejesus out of them.

Last summer I had a litter of sprocker pups and I had to move my vets over to brum it was the best thing I could of done the vets were first class and the vet took a chance on me as I was not one of his clients before. I had to show my shotgun cert and a letter from where I shoot before he would dock and I promised that I was not just looking for just the docking only. I was the best decision I had made as far as the dogs are concerned as the level of care and treatment I get is amassing it just goes to show there are some good vets still out there it's just the red tape that holds them back