Acidic Cider...

MirokuMK70

I've made my first ever batch of cider this year to use up the bumper crop of bramleys from my garden.

It seems to have finished its fermentation now so i had a quick taste. It is very acidic.

Will this mellow out as it matures or will i need to do something to help it.

Its working out at about 6.5% and is mainley bramleys with a few eaters and pears thrown in for good measure...

Is it acidic or just very dry tasting? Bramleys are very acidic anyway so it may be just that. I've just done a batch but haven't sterilised the juice, just the equipment, and after the first fermentation it tasted pretty harsh and dry. This should mellow after a couple of months in the primed bottles.

• 2 weeks later...

It should taste sweet, even after the first racking. Try dissolving a cup of sugar in hot water and adding to each gallon. It should start to ferment again, but be sweeter next racking. If not you've got air in it, or the yeast didn't start properly. Cider is a natural product, no need for campden tablets.

Agreed - add sugar and restart the fermentation.

At that specific gravity when you rack it off the sediment, it will have sweetened.

As the alcohol precentage rises slightly I reckon 7 percent for average cider the yeast is inhibited and fermentation cease, so the sugar left over sweetens the drink.

• 3 months later...

A footnote to this thread. I've just started drinking the cider I made in October 2012. I tried some last summer, it was good, but it has now matured into the best yet. This is the advantage of making a decent amount each year, you have time to wait for it to mature. My 2013 cider is an investment for 2015.

My cider blog :http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/cider-bottled/

Edited by kenj

It should taste sweet, even after the first racking. Try dissolving a cup of sugar in hot water and adding to each gallon. It should start to ferment again, but be sweeter next racking. If not you've got air in it, or the yeast didn't start properly. Cider is a natural product, no need for campden tablets.

sorry disagree with you partly there....if he adds more sugar all the yeast will do it use it to produce more alcohol and it wont turn out sweeter...

one way is to add potas sorbate and CT to stop and kill the yeast and then back sweeten....it depends on alot of factors...

did you add CT to the must 24 hours efore you added the yeast???

could have a natural yeast in there...

or might just take a long time for it to mellow

or you got an infection

Agreed - add sugar and restart the fermentation.

At that specific gravity when you rack it off the sediment, it will have sweetened.

As the alcohol precentage rises slightly I reckon 7 percent for average cider the yeast is inhibited and fermentation cease, so the sugar left over sweetens the drink.

depends on the yeast you use...... :good: