7Mth Cocker spaniel

jmj121

Hi Guys,

I have a 7mth Cocker, great on the lead, retrieves, sits on command... all and all doing well BUT, when shes off the lead and with other dogs just wont come back on command and is a little monster. on her own she's not to bad...

What do you guys suggest..... ?

Don't worry, she's still young and curious and wants to play. Suggest you try walking in the opposite direction whilst calling her, and see if she attempts to follow you. Try changing the tone of your voice to attract her attention, and not necessarily a harsh tone, some dogs at a young age prefer a softer approach. Just take your time, it's early days yet

Don't worry mine was the same upto 18months running down culdesac not listening (mind of his own) about to give up hope then 1 day there was a massive switch , doesn't leave my side won't go further than 10 ft from the front door sits stays everything on command .

Only Place he does like to go is to the back of the hilux and stare at his cage through the back window.

(It was as he had gone through puberty and become a adult the change was unreal over a few days)

Edited by delburt0

Snap - ok whilst a puppy - great on long lead and off - adolescence kicked in @ about 25 weeks and she knows better - long lead still quite good but off lead a nightmare so back on lead again :no::/:/ - also now refuses to retrieve ??? - Keep taking the tablets :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Try doing one of these for the retrieve trainning the dog can't runaround it's got to come back to you it helped me with my clumber

post-62446-0-96640500-1381523916_thumb.jpg

First things first stop calling her when you know she's just going to ignore you.

Start at home, where you have lots of control. Every meal time place her indoors (have someone hold her if nes) go outside to end of the garden with food and call the recall command (dogs name come) do this every time and start introducing the recall whistle (pip pip pip pip)

Once you have this mastered at home and can recall her away from her food at meal time (first time you do this have something really tasty to strengthen the association) use the recall out and about. when she looks as if she's coming towards you recall her and treat. ( you will gradually be able to phase out the treats and only give occasionally) you can also reward her for coming back to you by letting go sniff again, I use the command "go Sniff" this has worked great for me.

Ultimately once you know she understands the recall command and she ignores it, you have to get out after her, every time ( She has to learn that when you give a command you will always enforce it) get out after her and either take her by the slack skin under her chin or round the muzzle. pull her towards you as repeat the recall command. How forceful you are with this, depends on the temperament on your dog, but always praise after for complying.

Wish I had this info from the start, has taking a lot of work to get rid of the bad habit, but now mines 99% on the recall.

Good Luck

My 6 month old cocker is exactly the same.

Fine in a 1:1 situation - will recall; stop etc., etc.

As soon as she sees other dogs she's off to join the party and cause as much mayhem as possible.

My first tactic was to take her away from a dog v dog environment, and to reinforce the stop whistle as much as I can. Then when she sees another dog a firm "No" to indicate that if she wants to join the party then it is not acceptable. When she does this it's back to the car and an end to retrieving tennis balls etc.

All I can say that it's a long journey. She is getting better, but when the devil takes her away she goes.

She has met a couple of grumpy dogs who have clearly indicated that they do not appreciate a pup jumping all over them, and so she is becoming a little more hesitant....

If anyone has a 'cure' then I am ready to listen, but I think that it's all part of being a pup and eventually, when the lesson sinks in, she will be more obedient in this situation.

my sprocker was like this up until recently all of a sudden he seemed to grow up a notch and he is more responsive and when distracted by other dogs your can now call him away and break the distraction he is 1 next month so still only a pup at heart, as many people told me on here you have to let em be a pup and grow up a bit before you expect too much just keep everything lots of fun so she see's you as the fun bloke thats good fun to be around even though your getting her to do a few easy things it all builds towards the end result :)

First things first stop calling her when you know she's just going to ignore you.

Ultimately once you know she understands the recall command and she ignores it, you have to get out after her, every time ( She has to learn that when you give a command you will always enforce it) get out after her and either take her by the slack skin under her chin or round the muzzle. pull her towards you as repeat the recall command. How forceful you are with this, depends on the temperament on your dog, but always praise after for complying.

Wish I had this info from the start, has taking a lot of work to get rid of the bad habit, but now mines 99% on the recall.

Good Luck

Id'e listen to this man!!

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't go grabbing her, even gently this can make dogs fairly hand shy. Personally I would introduce hand feeding and if you chose, a whistle.

For 2 weeks (or enough for her to get really focused) take her on several short walks a day, keep her on lead and feed her her daily amount of food whilst out on these walks. Practice your retrieves only in secure areas with no other dogs so she can't fail.

After she is used to eating only out of your hand (none from the bowl) put her on a long line and continue the hand feeding for another 2 weeks (at least). Let her run out and call her back and feed a piece of kibble. Repeat for the whole walk, ensuring they are very short so she doesn't get full. Try to do this in places where there are very few distractions.

Then take her somewhere with other dogs around and try there. When you get to the point where she can do 10 consecutive recalls away form other dogs successfully, she should be safe to be let off (although I'd do long line trailing for a while too).

Dog training is summed up in a simple phrase...

"if a behaviour is rewarding, it is likely to increase. If a behaviour is not rewarding, it is likely to decrease"

The behaviour (running off) is rewarding (she gets to play with other dogs). It will increase.

Do not allow her to greet other dogs, and make coming back to you rewarding

The behaviour (running off) is no longer rewarding (she doesn't get to play with other dogs). It will decrease.

The behaviour (coming back) is rewarded by her sole intake of food (a primary reinforcer). Therefore it will increase.

Over time the reward of coming back can be going to see other dogs but do not attempt this too early on. Always follow commands up, the one and only time you let her be rewarded by the undesirable behaviour, is the one thing she will remember.

It also might help to find a local trainer, but make sure you are happy with their techniques. My methods come from learning to be a dog training instructor, they have worked for me and for all customers who have been prepared to use them. But there are hundreds out there. Find one you like, and stick to it for a good few weeks, magic doesn't happen over night and chopping and changing can do more damage than doing nothing. Good luck, I love my WCS but she taught me so much. I'm lucky she was so forgiving or I'd have completely ruined her with everything I did wrong. Glad to say we're on the right track now :) xx

Start at home, where you have lots of control. Every meal time place her indoors (have someone hold her if nes) go outside to end of the garden with food and call the recall command (dogs name come) do this every time and start introducing the recall whistle (pip pip pip pip)

Once you have this mastered at home and can recall her away from her food at meal time (first time you do this have something really tasty to strengthen the association) use the recall out and about. when she looks as if she's coming towards you recall her and treat. ( you will gradually be able to phase out the treats and only give occasionally) you can also reward her for coming back to you by letting go sniff again, I use the command "go Sniff" this has worked great for me.

Good Luck

Good sound advice

she's still being a nightmare..... any other suggestions guys ?

Anticipate the situation and prevent it in the main (leads are good for this). Do not repeat a recall command, to repeat only teaches dis-obedience and selective compliance so go and get the dog. Work on rewards not punishment, with some dogs and I include a 7mnth old as a likely candidate scruffing the dog and repeating the command will likely place a bad association with the command 100 times as fast as they draw the same with a good one (at the end of the day they are simple creatures).

The best training is to find an adult dog who excepts your pup and has great control / compliance to owner commands and work on this with it present.

At the end of the day remember dogs will be dogs and puppies are puppies, sometimes you have to chose which battles to fight at the right time.

Good Luck

Grand, well, that's saved some typing!

Edited by bigbird