Do you Hup or Sit your gun dog?

110csw

I just sat sit, for all my dogs, i just use wot is most natural to me,same with hi-losst as a search command, i just say steeeaady. Possibly going away from tradition but just try to make it as easy as possible

Is there a reason why u traditionally say hup for a spaniel but not a lab (or is that the reason to work the 2 breeds together) and where the hi-los command ever came from?

Edited by scotslad

I use hup for all three of my spaniels as I have got two little kids and like remmyman says wherever you go every tom **** and Harry come up and say sit sit sit with no way to reinforce the command my dogs just look at me like to say what the hell do they want me to do it just makes me laugh. But on a serious note whatever command you want to use it can be anything just keep it the same every time and it will help with keeping your dog steady hope this helps mike

Funny coz I do both, mainly using Hup by accident now and again! Anyhow the dog responds- I bet most trained dogs hear the inflection as much as the actual word and the connection of required action.

"hup" carries better than "sit" but using uncommon words only confuses the rest of the family. The real trick is not to use words at all of course

Funnily enough I just tend to stop whistle her thru my teeth when she close or if in the pub etc click my fingers at her. She's a clever wee thing and rarely let's me down.

Yep, dogs associate things real quick once they understand one command for an action you need not keep saying it as they pick up and anticipate so quick (often bad sometimes good though).

siittt down for ****ks sake

shadup

get orf me

stayyy....i told yu to bloody stay

here !...COME HERE.....oi ! get your ar** here now

i give up

general words of command to my jack russell ...who is 15 and dosnt give a ****.......

some of you should reckonise the instructions.....