Eley lighting

muncher

To see that they have altered something and have slowed them down ! I'd be interested to find out if they still hit 1400 plus ! 200 fps less than stated but last season I stopped loading 3 " for these and thought they were pretty good with excellent patterns !

Something gets pulled in there's no way it will remain the same

To see that they have altered something and have slowed them down ! I'd be interested to find out if they still hit 1400 plus ! 200 fps less than stated but last season I stopped loading 3 " for these and thought they were pretty good with excellent patterns !

Something gets pulled in there's no way it will remain the same

As far as i'm aware, the only reason that some were recalled is because of a powder metering error, meaning a bit more than the specified dose was being put in. I doubt this means that the new batch will be any different than the whole of the first batch should have been. Therefore, the speeds should be the same.

In my area if you want the shot load and size you favour you have to stock up for the season as the local gunshops only place one order for non toxic shells a season and when they are gone thats it until the next season. In some years its proved impossible to get goose loads after December of any non toxic shot and yet strangely you can often still get big loads in lead!

Once again I have dne the rounds of my local gun shops and as usual none had any Lightning's inspite of

some of the shops having places orders several months ago. The whole lightning episode has been a co*k up from start to finnish. Who in their right mind would release a wildfowling cartridge in the middle of the season when most wildfowlers have stocked up for the season and most gunshops know the sales will be poor and then load a faulty batch just before the start of the following season so for the second year they will be unavailable to most of us until mid season when again most fowlers have already bought their shells for the comming season.

Its true Lightning has been available in some more distant shops ( Wittlesey ) , but add the price of a couple of gallions of fuel to the cost of a few boxes of shells and it makes them far too costly , quite apart from half a days drive to get there and back.

Guest cookoff013

In my area if you want the shot load and size you favour you have to stock up for the season as the local gunshops only place one order for non toxic shells a season and when they are gone thats it until the next season. In some years its proved impossible to get goose loads after December of any non toxic shot and yet strangely you can often still get big loads in lead!

Once again I have dne the rounds of my local gun shops and as usual none had any Lightning's inspite of

some of the shops having places orders several months ago. The whole lightning episode has been a co*k up from start to finnish. Who in their right mind would release a wildfowling cartridge in the middle of the season when most wildfowlers have stocked up for the season and most gunshops know the sales will be poor and then load a faulty batch just before the start of the following season so for the second year they will be unavailable to most of us until mid season when again most fowlers have already bought their shells for the comming season.

Its true Lightning has been available in some more distant shops ( Wittlesey ) , but add the price of a couple of gallions of fuel to the cost of a few boxes of shells and it makes them far too costly , quite apart from half a days drive to get there and back.

well said.

BASC should take note, thats the rubbish the shooters in the uk have to put up with. cartridges in and out of the market like the hokey kokey. are they in or out?

as for availability, not that much, just cartridges is an option though.

this hasnt been the first cookup by eley. if i recolect the very first 21gram loads failed to clear the bores. i heard a gentleman returned 10,000 shells.

gamebore invested alot of money years ago into steel reloads. hence why they are lightyears ahead of the competition.

is this what we are to expect, only one decent manufacturer? other manufacturers issuing poor products, issuing recalls??

so much for this "economic equivalent"

(?)

well said.

BASC should take note, thats the rubbish the shooters in the uk have to put up with. cartridges in and out of the market like the hokey kokey. are they in or out?

as for availability, not that much, just cartridges is an option though.

this hasnt been the first cookup by eley. if i recolect the very first 21gram loads failed to clear the bores. i heard a gentleman returned 10,000 shells.

gamebore invested alot of money years ago into steel reloads. hence why they are lightyears ahead of the competition.

is this what we are to expect, only one decent manufacturer? other manufacturers issuing poor products, issuing recalls??

so much for this "economic equivalent"

(?)

And gamebore do all this handicapped by stupid rules

Whittlesey still had the Eley Lightnings in on Friday when I visited, I get on great with Mammoths in 3" and 3.5" so i don't think i will change just yet.

I think the last Eley cartridges i bought were Alphamax in lead! although this was way before the ban.

I did use the Remmington sportsman and nitro range up until two years ago when one of the 3.5"s came apart after shooting a goose, and left the plastic casing jammed in the breach, good job i wasn't cycling 3" afterwards or else i could have blown my face off.

They also had just got a delivery of 10 bore mammoths in 3 and 3.5, not sure of the shot sizes though.

I have spoken to Eley Hawk about the lightning steel loads and he tells me the metering story is rubbish

The chap I spoke to informs me he had a chap from down south in the west country who on inspecting the shells found the steel shot slightly above the wad

The shells were tested and it was found the shot sat back in the wad On firing

There is now a new wad in the cartridge where the shot sits totally in the wad

I am only passing on the info I was told so I won't be able to answer any questions you ask me

I'm glad there is no issue with them as I have quite a few and I'm assured there was no powder problems in the production

Donkey

Whittlesey still had the Eley Lightnings in on Friday when I visited, I get on great with Mammoths in 3" and 3.5" so i don't think i will change just yet.

I think the last Eley cartridges i bought were Alphamax in lead! although this was way before the ban.

I did use the Remmington sportsman and nitro range up until two years ago when one of the 3.5"s came apart after shooting a goose, and left the plastic casing jammed in the breach, good job i wasn't cycling 3" afterwards or else i could have blown my face off.

They also had just got a delivery of 10 bore mammoths in 3 and 3.5, not sure of the shot sizes though.

?

I have spoken to Eley Hawk about the lightning steel loads and he tells me the metering story is rubbish

The chap I spoke to informs me he had a chap from down south in the west country who on inspecting the shells found the steel shot slightly above the wad

The shells were tested and it was found the shot sat back in the wad On firing

There is now a new wad in the cartridge where the shot sits totally in the wad

I am only passing on the info I was told so I won't be able to answer any questions you ask me

I'm glad there is no issue with them as I have quite a few and I'm assured there was no powder problems in the production

Donkey

I am quite surprised at that as steel shot has been known to set back into the wad for some time now?