Over and Under for Fowling

Grandalf

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking along the same lines - switching back to an over under.

The auto's whilst they have some advantages have several disadvantages too.

The inability to select which chamber you want to fire (as it only has one), you can't instantly see up the barrel, if it breaks you have to go home etc etc

I have a 12g 3" Citori multichoke which weighs in at 8 1/2lb and I think I am going to take that out unless specifically after the geese (10 bore territory)

Just my thoughts

Graham

I am thinking along the same lines - switching back to an over under.

The auto's whilst they have some advantages have several disadvantages too.

The inability to select which chamber you want to fire (as it only has one), you can't instantly see up the barrel, if it breaks you have to go home etc etc

I have a 12g 3" Citori multichoke which weighs in at 8 1/2lb and I think I am going to take that out unless specifically after the geese (10 bore territory)

Just my thoughts

Graham

The other reason I went for one of these over the auto is trying to find cases ejected in every direction in the dark a right pain in the *** so only use my auto for pigeon shooting etc

I use a bettinsoli diamnod which has 3" steel proof chambers. I have sometimes felt a 3.5" gun may be the way to go but for duck its good. I managed a pinkfoot with it last year.

I will one day get a 3.5" gun just so I have the chouce if I need it.

I had a look at the fabarm camo job. Looked a good gun but ive not seen any others.

42g of BB must a fair slap in a ou. I have thought about it myself but decided against it for that reason.

Yeh they give a bit of a kick in an over and under but how many do you shoot on a flight not to many in most cases.

I would love to shoot an over and under on the marsh but the mud is so bad it gets in every where. The plus with the auto is you can wash it under the tap to get the mud off.

My only concern is using my home loaded steel throgh my OU. It is a 1986 12g 3" Citori. It is multichoke so according to Browning it will take steel but my loads are near to 1500 fps and it is a worry. The citori is my favourite gun and whilst I would not be worried about wrecking the barrel on an auto, I would be a little peeved on the citori. I have enough ITM and Bismuth for a season or 2 in the 12g but will have to move on to steel eventually due to lack of availability and price of the alternative non toxic.

Anyone using steel through there older Brownings?

Although a different gun I use steel through my 1960's 3" Midland SBS without ill effects.

My only concern is using my home loaded steel throgh my OU. It is a 1986 12g 3" Citori. It is multichoke so according to Browning it will take steel but my loads are near to 1500 fps and it is a worry. The citori is my favourite gun and whilst I would not be worried about wrecking the barrel on an auto, I would be a little peeved on the citori. I have enough ITM and Bismuth for a season or 2 in the 12g but will have to move on to steel eventually due to lack of availability and price of the alternative non toxic.

I had the silver pigeon on the foreshore for a season, the only thing I will say is they don't hold up to the elements wood wise.

I got quite a lot of white spotting on its first wet trip out and had to re finish the stock and forend.

Gun wise it performed well, nice and easy on the shoulder and swung nice for those longer shots.

As long as it was cleaned it suffered no I'll affect and I sold it to a gunshop after the season for a small profit.

One negative was the lack of a 3 rd shot though !

42 grm of steel through a 12 ga is too much slap, even through a gas op auto the advantages of just 6 grm of shot (over a 36grm 3" load) are not enough for me to warrant much further use. The muzzle climes and the recoil generally breaks your swing. Once my stock of super magnums are all used up I shall not be bothering buying any more. If I need more firepower then the 10 ga wins hands down on pattern and performance with 42grm steel loads (downside its a heavy gun to carry out). I do not feel ill-equipped with Nitro steel 1 1/4 oz no. 2 in a 3" and it will take out Greylag and Canadas very effectively when ducking

I have sort of got my own ear to the ground for a real good 3" 12ga magnum side by side as already said its good to be able to check those tubes easy ( I already have one but the chokes are very open and I have just had to tighten it up). I don't like o/u as I found the deeper opening gape a pain in the confines of a hole or hide. Autos are no problem on the marsh I have had and seen just as many issues with break action guns, the only issue with them is understanding how to maintain the auto correctly (you can certainly do a complete strip a lot quicker than you can with a break action) and I do very regular, as a result I do not get stoppages

Why can't you wash an OU out? Unless you get mud into the action less to worry about than an auto?

I just find it easier to clean an auto compared to an over and under. The action of an auto is pretty easy to clean in my opinion. With a wooden stock on a gun you have the chequring which is hard to get clean. Also with a camo auto it is better protected against the elements and less likely to rust.

Can't ever recall an O/U user walking off a marsh complaining that he had missed out on his only chance because he had a jam !!

Used one for most of my wildfowling until a few years ago when I bought an auto with the idea of taking out a light weight gun along with my heavy double eight.

Can't ever recall an O/U user walking off a marsh complaining that he had missed out on his only chance because he had a jam !!

Used one for most of my wildfowling until a few years ago when I bought an auto with the idea of taking out a light weight gun along with my heavy double eight.

Me either, but have had it happen with my semi twice infact....

I would not be worried about the speed, more of the pressure. If the pressure is fine then go for it i'd say!

I just find it easier to clean an auto compared to an over and under. The action of an auto is pretty easy to clean in my opinion. With a wooden stock on a gun you have the chequring which is hard to get clean. Also with a camo auto it is better protected against the elements and less likely to rust.

Plenty of synthetic stock OU's real tree and camo as well....... Wood stocks worked on the foreshore for 100 years before synth stocks......