Woody and Chorizo Pasty

thepasty

Yesterday I woke with the need to make pasties for the first time in 20yrs (I used to work for a Cornish lady who made the best pasties known to man).

I thought rabbit and woody initially but after some thought and the lack of fat in the meat I dropped the rabbit in favour of chorizo as it has plenty of fats to get things tasty.

First up the pastry, flour, lard, salt and water worked together (but not too much) then wanged in the fridge for an hour.

Most pasties you see around will have cubed innards, the key to a really good pasty is to use the slicer on a grater to give a much more rustic consistency that alloys the innards to blend together a little (overlap etc).

Spuds

Suede

Onion

Woddy

Chorizo

salt & pepper

Keep the ingredients separate as well, layering them onto the pastry as to achieve a good balanced flavour through out the pasty. Close your pasty and crimp in a way that works for you, slosh over some egg glazing and wack in the oven for 60mins.

Check out these beauties :)

1379767_10151981611582959_1899568500_n.j

They were bledy ansome..... and much to my surprise the woody became very tender and was so much better than the usual grisly beef you get in shop bought pasties.

I see many more pasties in my future :)

Edited by thepasty

I have a recipe on here for rabbit, woody and chorizo http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/rabbit-and-pigeon-pasty-with-chorizo/ I also add streaky bacon to help with the fat, or a knob of butter on top of each mix before folding. I mince all my meat together into the bowl of par boiled veg. Cooked together in the pasty. A good way of using up small unsaleable rabbits. The woody and chorizo give them a rich flavour, Just ate my last lot for Sunday dinner with mash and gravy.

• 4 weeks later...