The "Realy Tasty Bottled Beer" thread.

Frenchieboy

Years ago at the time when you could get 20 Weights, 2 pints, fish and chips and still get change out of a tanner, there used to be a beautiful beer. It was White shield Worthington. It was a living beer and had to be stored for a couple of weeks before drinking. That was to allow them to settle as they were truly a living beer. Poured gently down the side of the glass it was an experience in itself. Nectar of the gods! Didn't half give you a hangover though but the memories made it worth it.

Doubt if you could get it now but some of the other beers mentioned brought back memories of sessions of epic proportion. Old speckled hen (they have that on draught at my golf club), Old Bob, Theakstones old peculiar. Oh for those heady days when a hangover could be cleared with the old "Hair of the dog."

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago at the time when you could get 20 Weights, 2 pints, fish and chips and still get change out of a tanner, there used to be a beautiful beer. It was White shield Worthington. It was a living beer and had to be stored for a couple of weeks before drinking. That was to allow them to settle as they were truly a living beer. Poured gently down the side of the glass it was an experience in itself. Nectar of the gods! Didn't half give you a hangover though but the memories made it worth it.

Doubt if you could get it now but some of the other beers mentioned brought back memories of sessions of epic proportion. Old speckled hen (they have that on draught at my golf club), Old Bob, Theakstones old peculiar. Oh for those heady days when a hangover could be cleared with the old "Hair of the dog."

I had a supplier in at work today. He mentioned that he had drunk a white shield ale in London last week...

White Shield - Never had one but meant to be the best thing since, before and during sliced bread!!

Interesting thing though with the difference in bottled beer between beer being put in a bottle for serving purposes and beer being bottle conditioned - Like Duvel, Fuller's 1845 (plus their "Old Ales"), Proper Job (Better in a bottle than on tap). Bottle conditioned beer gets better the longer you leave it and changes character along the way. Beer in a bottle 'cos it can be - Faddy - Stick it in a can and you get less exposure to sunlight, better stackability and if the brewers done a proper job, the inside of the can will be lined with some form of plastic to avoid metallic contamination.

As for Jennings Snecklifter being slated - I agree - Rubbish in a bottle, but something quite, quite different on tap

Beer if in a bottle is garbage regardless of name, want a decent pint? then get down the pub.

KW

Element of truth to that as well - Use 'em or lose 'em!!

A few of my favorites:

Marstons double drop

Black sheep - the one with the brown label. It's a lovely dark beer but has a bit of fizz. Awesome super chilled.

But my favourite has to be Jennings Cocker hoop. It's a great refreshing drink and won the bronze CAMRA award a few years ago i belive. To top it off I found that the local Aldi sell it at £1.20. Happy fays

A few of my favorites:

Marstons double drop

Black sheep - the one with the brown label. It's a lovely dark beer but has a bit of fizz. Awesome super chilled.

But my favourite has to be Jennings Cocker hoop. It's a great refreshing drink and won the bronze CAMRA award a few years ago i belive. To top it off I found that the local Aldi sell it at £1.20. Happy fays

seems its potent stuff!

KW

Guest cookoff013

check out broadside, the bottle is 6.3 % and the pub version is ~5%.

most beers have changed over the years, even the hobgoblin and the old perculier, just due to the beer tax escelator.....

the brewerys are protecting themselves by reducing the % alcohol so there beers are appropriatley taxed.

i wouldnt mind looking at an old bottle of old perculier, from what i gather just looking at it would make everyone over the limit.

Sat in bath enjoying the taste of Sainsbury's Kentish Ale three for a fiver brewed in Kent by the UK's oldest brewer Sheperd Neame, been brewing on the site since 1698. Quite similar to the FurstyFerret type ale not to dark and nice and fruity.

Old Speckled Hen and Old Peculiar, had a few good nights on them years ago could drink many.

Broadside was a bit strong tasting for me.

Costco normally have boxes of mixed ales on offer from different Brewers have had a few and enjoyed most of them, odd bottles were not to my liking.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

had a worthington white shield the other day (very nice) they seem quite rare in the shops got mine from morrisons

broadside is a good example of the "im well hard" alcohol content ruining a beer. If you have it out of the tap its lovely but the bottled stuff suffers from being way too strong and ruins the flavor IMO

Reading this has put me right in the mood, I will need to head down to Sainsbury's and see what ales they have in. Unfortunately I cant have too many as I am stalking tomorrow and Saturday so a couple of bottles tonight and tomorrow night will have to do me :sad1: . I will make up for it on Saturday evening though :yahoo: .

Well guys, just returned with the following:

4 x Abbotts ale (on a deal).

4 x Hobgoblin (on a deal).

1 x Badger First Gold.

1 x Old Golden Hen. Here is my choice for after dinner tonight. Now to decide which one first and being a Jock with not a lot of knowledge with Real Ale I will just toss a coin. :lol::good: .

3082daf8-9fa7-46f2-a3f9-d349858cc356.jpg

I tried a seriously interesting ale earlier this week by an icelandic brewery called einstock, the beer itself was just labeled as 'white ale' which i had never heard of before let alone tried. It was brewed with coriander and orange peel which gave the beer a lovely fruity note which was a really pleasant treat as i find that some ales, especially cheaper ones can leave an unpleasant yeasty after taste.

The beer itself comes in at 5.2% and goes down a treat! If you can ever manage to find it i certainly recommend trying one!

Tonight I've got a Traditional Kentish Ale before moving on to a Two Hoots and a Golden Hen the wife said she bought me them as they look similar to the Kentish ale colour wise.

Ill report back after sampling, if its incoherent ramblings its good stuff.

Figgy