Who knows about televisions?

Thunderbird

I'm going mad reading Amazon recommendations so here goes, I'm in the market for a new TV. Here's what I think I want:

• 37" probably
  • Not a Smart TV
  • Decent sound as I probably won't be attaching speakers
  • Must have a headphone-style output
  • LCD/LED

Budget £250-400. Recommendations from the PW massive welcome. :)

you should be able to pick up a decent LG for that price, take the cash and bounce the shops off each other, you will be amazed how much you will get knocked off for cash,

we got a 50 inch LG well two for £1000 so was happy and that was from dixons the single price was £645 so we saved a package by haggling with the cash

cheers Bob

Aren't plasmas a bit old hat nowadays? Just asking but you don't see them around as much as you used to.

I did find a nice-seeming LG one on Amazon but people were banging on about the sound being rubbish though. Not being particularly tech savvy when it comes to TVs I'm not sure how fussy they were being.

The feeling seems to be LED over LCD, is that right?

There is not much space for a decent speaker in the slimline cases unless you go very highend.

Negotiation is defo the way forward. I took an ipad into shops and searched on the exact same model and showed the staff the screen.... banktastic ! ....... got a 57inch Samsung smart TV for £700

I use a digital audio out port into my hifi :good:

Consider your input signal as well as there is no point matching a good screen with a poor signal..... I had to get Virgin Media to upgrade my digibox to HD and used a decent cable to significantly improve my picture quality.

Anyway, I thought most of your viewing was on the internet! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: ................................ pigeon watch, of course!

Keep in mind that at that sort of price you will easily get a decent full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels)TV, Panasonic and Samsung LCD TVs are very good and the higher end LGs are also pretty good. Stay well away from stores own brands or Bush, or the cheaper Hitachi etc. these are almost all made by Vestel in Turkey and built down to a price.

The Panasonic Plasma linked to above isn't full HD, it's only "HD Ready" which means that although it will accept a full HD signal input it will display it a much lower resolution of 1024 x 768, even a HD ready LCD will usually display at 1366 x 768.

Any of these should do the job nicely, http://tinyurl.com/nczb3wy

Edited by phaedra1106

I have a 36" Toshiba CRT - a 3 feet deep, 83kg monster. It was my dream telly when it came out y-e-a-r-s ago but it was £2500. I got an as-new one 8 years ago for £450 and am almost emotionally attached to it :)

The picture will rival any flat screen - it's pin sharp. It's got built in cinema sound. I need to get rid though as I'm moving soon. It's yours for £50 incl the matching stand!

Edited by junctiontwo

LED is an LCD screen but is backlit using LEDs rather than what is basically a number of fluorescent tubes.

They run cooler, give much better contrast especially at ends of the spectrum ( black and white).

Plasma gives you bigger screen sizes vs LCD for the same money i.e for say £xx you may get a 42" LCD or a 50" Plasma.

At the end of the day, it's personal choice.

OK so being an actual expert i'll ask the relevant questions...

What sort of ambient light in the room at normal viewing times? No electronic display will work well in bright sunlight.

Netflix (from what device?) NOt a smart TV (no standard for a "smart TV" its just a TV with "smart" on the box so dont be put off many have netflix iplayer etc built in

Where will in live? on a stand? in a corner? on a wall?

Want to connect PC for HD pawn?

Some myths

Plasma are more expensive to produce and ship..aging factories are not being replaced everyone wants cheap......

LED are LCD its the back light type not the technology older LCD's have CFL backlights, some are back lit some edge lit pros and cons

General advice PLasma stick to panasonic 42"+ (don't go too small) LCD Samsung are good panasonic are catching, Sony overpriced, Philips very hit and miss, Toshiba ala philips, LG king of budget have some great features generally poor OSD and sound (use them for monitor displays and digital signage a lot).No names from DSG/Aldi/asda etc I wouldnt... Fancy something different have a look a Loewe (B&O esque)

As to where to buy from JL offer good prices and 5 year warranty and price match. Try a few local places for "special deals" they are getting competitive compared to the supermarkets and amazon........

OK so being an actual expert i'll ask the relevant questions...

What sort of ambient light in the room at normal viewing times? No electronic display will work well in bright sunlight.

Pretty low

Netflix (from what device?) NOt a smart TV (no standard for a "smart TV" its just a TV with "smart" on the box so dont be put off many have netflix iplayer etc built in

From a PS3 using HDMI - only said not smart as I don't need the functionality it has and felt it wasn't worth paying the extra

Where will in live? on a stand? in a corner? on a wall?

On a stand, not in a corner

Want to connect PC for HD pawn?

Wha???

Some myths

Plasma are more expensive to produce and ship..aging factories are not being replaced everyone wants cheap......

LED are LCD its the back light type not the technology older LCD's have CFL backlights, some are back lit some edge lit pros and cons

General advice PLasma stick to panasonic 42"+ (don't go too small) LCD Samsung are good panasonic are catching, Sony overpriced, Philips very hit and miss, Toshiba ala philips, LG king of budget have some great features generally poor OSD and sound (use them for monitor displays and digital signage a lot).No names from DSG/Aldi/asda etc I wouldnt... Fancy something different have a look a Loewe (B&O esque)

As to where to buy from JL offer good prices and 5 year warranty and price match. Try a few local places for "special deals" they are getting competitive compared to the supermarkets and amazon........

Send me an email if you like, I forgot you were an expert in this..