Cat c vehicle

goldypurple

If the price is right and its been repaired properly it wouldn't bother me.

It's the cost of repair to the price of the car that goes towards making it cat c.

It will have passed a current mot, lets face it how many land rover have had repairs to chassis and body over the years and are fine.

How much cheaper than non write off is it.

Figgy

start by asking if they have a full breakdown of the incident and work that went into turning the car into a Cat C there should be an Audatext and insurance report, you will need to know where it was fixed (main dealer or back street) and did they use genuine or patent parts or salvage parts, you can do your homework on HPI web site for history its only a few quid.

Edited by chrisjh

Cat c is un-economical repair (as you already know)

Ive owned a few and never had any issues, but always check that it drives in a straight line, panel gaps are as you would expect them to be and ask to view reciepts for the repairs/parts. Any person worth their salt will have kept it all to prove its been done properly.

If i was spending that kind of money i'd want it for at least £1500 under book price, and thats only if its been done properly. If it doesnt have any paperwork with it, i'd either be asking for more money off it or walking away...

Genrly look for the repairs if you can spot them see how well they done them. Panel gaps on LR :lol :lol: only worry if you can get in without opening the door first.

Seriously go and have a quick look yourself if you think it looks/drives ok see how flexible the price is. Then get it looked at by a professional.

Figgy

The biggest issue for myself would be if you buy it and trash it again the insurance will only pay out around 50% of its value as they've already paid out on it once, therefore you want to be buying it as cheap as possible and make sure you can insure it as well as a lot of companies won't insure them.

Could of been anything not, perhaps not a accident per Se. We are seeing a lot of cat c's that were damaged badly by a hale storm we had round these parts.

The owners took the pay out and ran the cars, when a car is put back on the road after being written off it has to go for a vosa check.

To be honest I would be working on and around somewhere on half it's value of a non cat c motor. Oh we have had a few flooded cat c cars too. Engine was screwed and electrics.

If unsure give your insurance company a ring see what they say, may be able to help make your mind up bud.

Karpman

walk away.plenty of good straight cars out there for sale and plenty of deals to be had.

Seconded you just never know the extent of the repair and how well it has been repaired and things like rustproofing can be overlooked or not quite as good as original. If it was in 2003 it would have been fairly substantial damage as the truck would have been fairly new