Once or twice per day feeding

daz2202

I'm just interested as I always feed my dogs twice per day and my shooting mate is a once man in the evening with a bonio type biscuit in the morning.

His reason is that his dogs then only **** twice per day unlike mine a four times

What do you guys do. I don't think there is a right or wrong

jess would prefer once a day ............................................all day long ....................................but she gets some mid morn main feed at 3.30pm ish coz she walks up to food bin and taps the lid with her chin 99.9% of the time its bang on 3.30pm sure she can tell the time :lol::lol::lol:

My std feeding is twice a day, however I often give a small amount mid day and feed more often on proper work days. On a Work day it might be feed at 3-4 am about 2 hrs befor activity then feed again as a full meal at lunch then if staying on into evening flight feeding takes place again on return to truck normally 3 hrs after sunset.

Calorific intake must match activity but I wont feed directly prior to activity as it risks a twisted gut.

Ask yourself. "Could you last all day with only 1 dinner"?

No breakfast, No lunch, I know I couldn't.

Yes i only eat once a day have done for years...

Dogs are part of the wolf family,wolfs generally eat when they make a kill which can be up to and over a week apart. In my opinion feeding an adult dog once a day is quite sufficient. my latest cocker got to 18 living like this. I do believe most dogs will vary and just a case of mongering the dogs weight.

Cheers Tim

I generally feed mine 2 times a day 50/50 althou if i'm working them i feed them less in morning and always a good 2 hrs before i expect to work them

Throu the close season i tend to go back to once a day (althou depends on body condition) and i usually fast them prob about 1 day every 2 weeks (know a lad who only feeds his dogs 6 days a week all year)

Does anybody else fast/not feed there dog regularly? say once a week/fortnight?

I generally feed mine 2 times a day 50/50 althou if i'm working them i feed them less in morning and always a good 2 hrs before i expect to work them

Throu the close season i tend to go back to once a day (althou depends on body condition) and i usually fast them prob about 1 day every 2 weeks (know a lad who only feeds his dogs 6 days a week all year)

Does anybody else fast/not feed there dog regularly? say once a week/fortnight?

I Fast them once a week.

Edited by channa

Some interesting views. I have always twice per day but I'm thinking maybe to slowly reel this back to just once. But maybe giving a couple of biscuits throughout the day. (I've never done treats before).

I have heard of a few people that regularly fast there dog. Any reasons why though

When i kept ferrets years ago it was quite common for owners to fast them once a week, idea being that in wild would not be guaranteed to feed everyday so should clean out their digestive system etc.So should be same with wolves

There actually saying it benefits humans too, hence the 5/2 diet

It's only last few years i've started to do it with my dogs, dosen't seem to do them any harm, althou i don't do it religiously every 2 weeks and tend not to do it throu shooting season.

A lot will depend on how hard u work ur dogs, or metabilism of individual dogs, some dogs hard to kep weight on if working them pretty hard throu season so feeding them 2 times a day helps, if ur only working dog once a week or fortnight probably won't make any difference

my old lab i would leave food with him all day and he just ate wot he wanted and always stayed a healthy wieght (was a fussy eater, not often say that about a lab :whistling: and lacked any competion for food as only had the 1 dog at time)

what you don't want to do is work an unfed dog and eating once a day can harm humans, its one of the things that can lead to type 2 diabetes and IBS (fluctuating sugar levels and digestive tract action / inaction respectively). A dog worked without sufficient fuel will stop and can collapse, this is why some pickers up etc feed high energy snacks mid-point.

relating dogs to the Wolf is sort of dumber than relating us to stone age man as they are more generations removed than we are from stone age man. The American timber wolf (the most compared to dogs) is now known to have zero genetic link to the modern dog ie. it never came into its breeding. The Wolf type Canid / canids that did make up the domestic dog is actually unknown and perhaps long extinct from Europe / Africa, so we know little of how it hunted and how often it fed.

It's not all about genetics thou (and when u say zero genetic link it does not mean there genetics are not similar only evolved from different routes if that is the case), evoloution is a very very slow process and i doubt the digestive tract really has evolved in the reatively short time that dogs have been domesticated, althou the intensive selctive breeding that we do to get the breeds in the last 2-300 years may have effected changed things as not natural selection. But wether effects gut etc i have no idea as not a trait breed for.

But most wild animals/predators (esp larger bodied ones) can not be guaranteed to get a meal off the same size everyday, some days ffeast next a famine.

If i was going to have a fast day i would feed dogs a bt extra day before and day after

That will be why the barf diet is often raved about as more narural, be a fairly recent thing where u can actually buy dog food

It does make sense to me atleast (but obvisouly not throu the season when dogs are working hard) and is often written about in ferreting books, never seen it mentioned in any dog books thou. Be interrested to see wot any vets think

Even for humans there seems to be more and more scientific evidence that fasting/low calorie days help the body wether 5/2 or 8 hour diet (meant to eat for 8 and fast for 16 every day) can help not just wieght loss but for general health

Ask yourself. "Could you last all day with only 1 dinner"?

No breakfast, No lunch, I know I couldn't.

Yes you could with a bit of personal discipline. Millions of people survive on one meal a day. I spent some time in Africa digging out wells and building orphanages and the African men that I worked with would properly labour all day and the younger men would play football in the evening after a days work.

Edited by lee-kinsman