First gun for a youngster

Ttfjlc

Evening all I was reading the shooting times today and there was an article on what age for young kids to start shooting, this set me thinking about my eldest son who will be 9 in January. To say he has inherited the shooting gene from me is an understatement, this coming season is already his 4th season beating! He loves shooting an air rifle and has mentioned a shotgun from time to time but when I mention about going for a lesson he says he's not to fussed at the moment. Whilst I'll never rush him into anything this has puzzled me until today when I was talking about this article and he said he wanted my father and I to teach him so this leads me to the question of which shotgun? I've shot for many years now and talked to a lot of people and it seems a 28 bore would suit? Most people say a .410 is like trying to shoot something with a shot pattern the diameter of a pencil! Just wondered if anybody has been through this situation and what they experienced, many thanks.

J

Evening all I was reading the shooting times today and there was an article on what age for young kids to start shooting, this set me thinking about my eldest son who will be 9 in January. To say he has inherited the shooting gene from me is an understatement, this coming season is already his 4th season beating! He loves shooting an air rifle and has mentioned a shotgun from time to time but when I mention about going for a lesson he says he's not to fussed at the moment. Whilst I'll never rush him into anything this has puzzled me until today when I was talking about this article and he said he wanted my father and I to teach him so this leads me to the question of which shotgun? I've shot for many years now and talked to a lot of people and it seems a 28 bore would suit? Most people say a .410 is like trying to shoot something with a shot pattern the diameter of a pencil! Just wondered if anybody has been through this situation and what they experienced, many thanks.

J

28 bore isn't much louder than the .410 and recoil isn't much different either but it is a more effective cartridge. I actually started with a .410 but my daughter will be using a 28 bore when she starts as they are so much better and easier to progress onto a 20 bore later on. I loved my little .410 when I was younger and it does teach you a lot about range and accuracy etc but it does have it's limitations. My father has actually gone down from a 20 bore to a 28 bore mainly due to health reasons but he's still dropping rabbits at good ranges with it and he recons it's what I should have had all those years ago when I first started.

The gauge is not the most important thing here, as has been said before, it is the fit.

If a 28g is too heavy, he will start with bad habits, stance, mount etc.

If you can get the lad to hit targets with a .410, as he progresses through 28g to 20g to 12g they are all more forgiving.

If your son can easily accept the weight of a 28g then go ahead but be very careful, if he leans back in a "Banana shape stance" the gun is too heavy for him.

Where are you based? if we knew that you may get the offer of some help from the many very helpful PW membership. If you are anywhere near to Borehamwood in Hertfordshire I would be happy to let your son try out .410's, 28g and 20g guns.

Terry

The gauge is not the most important thing here, as has been said before, it is the fit.

If a 28g is too heavy, he will start with bad habits, stance, mount etc.

If you can get the lad to hit targets with a .410, as he progresses through 28g to 20g to 12g they are all more forgiving.

If your son can easily accept the weight of a 28g then go ahead but be very careful, if he leans back in a "Banana shape stance" the gun is too heavy for him.

Where are you based? if we knew that you may get the offer of some help from the many very helpful PW membership. If you are anywhere near to Borehamwood in Hertfordshire I would be happy to let your son try out .410's, 28g and 20g guns.

Terry

Terry

Has hit the nail on the head an open choke on a 410 helps teach anyone with a full choked gun is a bad idea most 410s are full or extra full.

If your near Bisley he can also try my 410 28 or 20.

Go for a 28 don't worry about the fit as you can get the gun fitted to him

He is not 9 yet is he strong enough to hold a 28g?

The newer ones are reasonably light but the older ones are not.

The ability to hold (manage the weight) and mount a gun correctly comes under gun fit

Thank you for your advice and offers I live in South Lincolnshire 10 miles north of Bourne, I don't mind the idea of a .410, if we were to go down that route then I would use the shooting balloons idea I found in here

There are some half term intro sessions coming up check the CPSA site for a link

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/general/2013/10/08/young-shots-days--autumn-half-term

Edited by HDAV